“What a wonderful place!!”
other travellers have booked this property
Wonderful views, Chianti and Prada on your doorstep
Sun-loungers, shaded sitting area and dining table below the chestnut tree. Your huge terrace! The sitting room has everything you could need. TV, DVDs, books, guides, music ... everything
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Wonderful views, Chianti and Prada on your doorstep
The indoor dining room - it's there if you need it but you'll spend all your time on the terrace
The kitchen is superbly equipped. For instance coffee lovers will find Gaggia, moka & French press!
This is the 'cantinetta' of organic local wines for sale at 4-5 euro a bottle
This is the welcome pack for every guest. It's a full fridge!!
The bedroom is air conditioned
The bathroom has a large bath tub and a shower
The view from the terrace as the sun sets
A glass or two of wine as the sun goes down
The village shop at Moncioni
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Paul C
Phoenix, Arizona
“What a wonderful place!!”
Reviewed 14 November 2014 for a stay in November 2014
person found this review helpful

Let me start off by saying that Podere la Rota is a magnificent place to stay. Inside it is beautifully decorated and has every amenity one could ask for.

The living room is great with a nice wood-burning heater to keep you warm. You can have all the wood you like. It has a lovely dining room that seats four (although the house sleeps two). The kitchen is terrific: clean with everything you need to cook your own meals. It does have central heating and air conditioning, but we managed with the wood heater.

The bathroom and bedroom are upstairs. Both are beautifully equipped and very clean.

The location is absolutely amazing. High on a ridge that overlooks a valley, olive orchards directly below the villa, and other side of the valley was forested with lots of trees that were turning beautiful fall colors. Just amazing views. Very quiet and dark at night, which we loved.

It's a great base for touring Tuscany. A few miles away from the A1 Autostrada, it provides easy access to the A1 for longer drives, but also has many country roads that provide shortcuts to towns like Siena or Montalcino. It's just a few miles away from one of the best high-end shopping outlet malls called The Mall. (Directions in the House Book.

Bob and Ally (Bob's wife) manage Podere la Rota along with others, but live onsite along with Livia, their very sweet dog.

Bob greeted us when we arrived and took us on a short tour of the villa and giving us a brief overview of how to work the stove, espresso machine, dishwasher, etc. We received their wonderful intro gift which was two heaping plates of terrific antipasto. It tasted wonderful and we snacked on it all week.

Bob also has some good Chianti with the Podere la Rota label for sale in the kitchen for 5 Euro per bottle (a very convenient deal!).

We met Ally later and she is a very sweet, kind woman who brought us a plate of pastries that were out of this world.

Now you may be asking yourself, if we loved this place s much as I've said, why not 5 stars?

Now we need to talk about Bob.

After the first night, I went to see Bob to explain that there had been no hot water for my shower. He stated "That's odd, no one has mentioned that before." He went on to ask if I was using the shower correctly and suggested that perhaps I hadn't let it run long enough or had the shower on "too high". I've had a good many showers in my 60 years and felt insulted.

He agreed to check it with me (we used the secret passageway from his house that came out directly opposite of the bathroom upstairs). After letting it run for several minutes, it seemed a little warmer, so I agreed to try again the next morning.

Same results! I went to see Bob again and he was again very puzzled.

About 20 minutes after our second talk, he knocked on the door and started explaining that the water heater had been replaced about a month ago due to damage from a electrical storm. He went on to say that he had checked it and found that the installer had placed the temperature setting on the lowest possible setting and that we was confused why the couple who had stayed there the previous week didn't say anything.

For me, I was very frustrated that it took him two days (and me two cold showers) to check the setting on the water heater. Since it was very easy to do, I feel he should have checked it after I first told him.

It goes on... We started using the nice Espresso machine our first morning and it worked great. The second morning, it started leaking water from underneath all over the counter. That evening, I talked to Bob and Ally about it. Bob questioned me about if I was using it right and did I have the water tank correctly seated. I explained that I had used it exactly how he instructed me and had made sure the water tank was seated correctly each time I used it. They kindly provided a second machine they had as they had just purchased a new one for themselves.

I started using the second machine exactly how he had instructed the next morning. I let it warm up and about 15 seconds after I pushed the button to brew the espresso, it tripped the master electrical breaker and all the lights in the place went out.

When I took it to Bob to explain, he immediately tried it and tripped his own breaker!! At least Ally had the presence of mind to have a flashlight handy! : )

This was getting funny now.

Bob explained we were down to the old style Moka coffee maker. Bob showed me how to use it and, thank goodness, the rest of the week we had good coffee and no other issues.

Bob later asked me to explain step by step what I did when the second machine tripped the breaker, so he could explain it to the place he bought it from as it was still under warranty.

Bob is a nice man, but I was made to feel an idiot through these incidents and Bob didn't seem to care about me taking cold showers... stiff upper lip, old boy, eh what?

Overall, we had an absolutely wonderful stay, but know you know why the four stars.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The beautiful view from the front porch!!
Liked least: Bob's cool, stiff-upper-lip-eh-what, non-customer service British attitude
Friends getaway Older travelers
JaneKC27
Durham, United Kingdom
“Everything you could want from a holiday rental in Tuscany”
Reviewed 30 July 2014 for a stay in July 2014
person found this review helpful

We have stayed in holiday rentals in Italy many times and over many years - this is our favourite! Perfectly positioned for access to all the major places of beauty and interest, perfectly positioned for lovely views from your terrace, every home amenity you could want whilst maintaining Tuscan character, wonderful hosts and a dog you will fall in love with (Livia).

MrsFinger
London, United Kingdom
“Simply wonderful”
Reviewed 7 June 2014 for a stay in June 2014

We enjoyed a wonderful stay at Podere La Rota. It was everything we hoped for and more. The house is authentically Tuscan but spacious and excellently equipped. We especially loved the sun terrace that looks out over a valley of olive groves and woodland. We spent most evenings watching the sunset over the valley drinking local Chianti (stocked in the house to purchase for next to nothing). The photos just couldn't do it justice. The owners looked after us brilliantly (and discreetly). The welcome fresh food package was to die for and kicked us off as we carried on. There is lots to do and explore nearby and Siena and Florence are less than hour away. It was clear from the "house book" that lives in the house and is added to by guests that lots of people make Podere La Rota a regular destination. We will be back!

Liked best: Stunning sun terrace
Liked least: Rugged driveway!
Strawberr...
Chorley
“Blissfully relaxing”
Reviewed 3 November 2013 for a stay in October 2013
people found this review helpful

Podere la rota is ideally situated in the triangle of Florence, Sienna & Arezzo and so makes a great base to explore from. There is a wealth of information from past guests in a file kept within the property with great suggestions for eating out and touring around.

The welcome pack gave us a ready made lunch with cold meats and bread for a couple of days, and the cakes Ally brought round on the morning after our arrival fattened us up no end! We were also taken to a lovely restaurant (la Buca di Ipo ) in Montevarchi for pizza one evening by Bob & Ally, which we returned to later during our stay.
A word of caution; don't do as we did and call in at the big coop in Montevarchi to stock up on arrival if it's a Saturday-pure hell. If the welcome pack isn't enough to keep you going for a couple of days then there are other smaller supermarkets open on Sundays as well as the local shop in Moncioni (5 minute walk).

I was slightly apprehensive at the mention of a dog, Livia, prior to our arrival, having had unwelcome experiences with dogs in the past, however I needn't have worried. She's not at all in your face, but likes to sit outside keeping guard and chasing off the wild boars that feed off the land. (Unfortunately we never got to see any, but did see a couple of deer one morning). If you head out for a walk, Livia will join you and I welcomed her company whilst out jogging.

The cottage itself if incredibly well stocked with all the cooking utensils you could wish for, including olive oil produced on site and house wine for sale in the kitchen. My husband enjoyed his morning coffee so much, that he now wants to buy himself a machine like the one in the cottage! There is quite a selection of dvd's, a drawer full of games and an iPod docking station. The property is detached, bar a small connecting tunnel, so there's no worries about being disturbed.

The weather was fairly mild at the end of October when we stayed there, so we had many a cosy night in the lounge in front of the log burning stove, sipping Chianti! I would recommend taking your slippers though as the floors are mainly tiled.

The lack of noisy neighbours from other holiday guests, the blackout shutters in the bedroom and the views from the terrace makes for the most idyllic and restful holiday you could wish for, and we have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone.

We wish we back there!

albev34
Bp Auckland
“A hidden gem.”
Reviewed 13 August 2013 for a stay in July 2013

How lucky were we to find this gem, this was our first rural and cultural holiday instead of our usual Spanish beach holiday and we were wondering how it would go, we needn't have worried, owners Bob and Ally make sure you have everything needed to have a brilliant stay at this stunning, peaceful and rustic paradise.
From an amazing and lavish welcome pack to racks of home produced wine, trays of sunday cakes to loads of great advice its plain that here we have a couple that don't take your money and run but really really want you to enjoy La Rota as much as they do, just top quality service.
The well appointed and cosy house itself was great, nestled among olive groves and allsorts of other fruit trees on a wooded hillside from which we spent many fantastic days on the ample terrace admiring the views across the valley and the wildlife around La Rota helped by our canine friend Livia who usually informed us of any visitors.
The location was really everything to wish for, very secluded off a dirt road along from from a hilltop hamlet up in the Chianti countryside surrounded by countless vineyards, olive groves and orchards and so so quiet, yet making day trips to Florence and the other attractions very easy.
we look forwards to returning as many others do, the full guest books bears testament to that.
10 / 10.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The views and tranquility.
Liked least: Mosquitos
Friends getaway Older travelers
Greg N
Oceanside, California
“The Perfect Place, The Perfect Vacation”
Reviewed 17 August 2012 for a stay in July 2012

This was simply the best vacation we have ever been on. Not that a trip to Italy doesn't come with high expectations, but the quality of the accomodations at Podere la Rota combined with the proximity to so many destination spots in central Italy made this a series of memories that my wife and I will never forget. We truly fell in love with this little slice of paradise.

The cottage itself sits on the property of Bob and Ally who run Summer Leases. They were there to greet us, show us around and get us acclimated to the area. They also have a beautiful dog Livia that also comes to visit each morning and evening.Bob and Ally are truly wonderful people. I had read this repeatedly on other reviews and am very happy to share the same. We had one of those moments (flat tire in Siena) and Ally helped us find a tire repair shop in Montevarchi and translated for us to get the tire repaired. That sort of treatment doesn't happen at many places you pay much more money to stay at. Not to mention the wonderful food and treats that were waiting for us once we arrived. The house has everything that you need (including a blues/jazz cd collection that should be played during the entire stay). We listened to music, reviewed photos from the days events, and drank large quantities of the local wine from the fully stocked wine rack. Cheap and delicious. The views from the porch of the surrounding villages and olive groves are spectacular. I would wake up early to see the deer walking across the lawn. Incredible. And at night, we would walk into the little village of Moncioni for a couple of beers at the little bar and listen to the locals speak Italian.

The only thing I wish we would have done differently is actually spend more time at the cottage relaxing and taking it easy. Instead we opted to see as much of the countryside as possible. We were able to quickly get to Florence (via train from Montevarchi -- highly recommended), Cortona, Pisa, Rome, Sienna and pretty much every little town in between within a couple of hours. Would recommend bringing a GPS and brushing up on driving a stick shift, otherwise it is fairly easy to navigate.

I guess the only bad part about the trip was having to leave. The beauty of Italy and the pace of life is not easy to put away once you get back to the States. Guess that is why there is a Vespa sitting in my garage now. Can't wait to get back to the little town of Moncioni and our favorite little cottage- Podere la Rota. Do yourself a favor and check this place out, can't recommend it highly enough. Cheers!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Bob and Ally (the owners) were very lovely people who rent out an amazing cottage that is perfectly equipped for a week long stay in Tuscany.
Liked least: Leaving
Friends getaway
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
bullet17
Florence, Italy
“Amazing Cottage”
Reviewed 1 August 2012 for a stay in June 2012
people found this review helpful

This year in late spring, we made our fifth visit to Podere La Rota and without question, it is the most wonderful place we’ve ever stayed in Italy. The cottage is near the charming little village of Moncioni, nestled in the hills of Chianti. It’s a lovely property with kitchen, dining, and living room downstairs, large bedroom and bath on the upper floor. Vicki always says that the huge bathroom is the best in Italy - a large window over the tub looks out at the beautiful Chianti mountains. All the rooms are spacious and well appointed with comfortable furniture and beautiful art. We do a great deal of cooking and the kitchen is perfect for two people with an excellent gas stove, refrigerator, and plenty of pots, pans, cooking utensils, and a washing machine. There’s also a wine rack in the kitchen and guests can purchase Podere La Rota’s special bottling of organic Chianti at a bargain price to enjoy during their stay.

Perhaps the most outstanding feature of the cottage is the large terrace, which overlooks the olive orchard below and has a mesmerizing view of wooded hills and distant villages. At one end of the terrace a large chestnut tree shades a table and chairs, where we eat most of our meals. There are also lounges, wicker chairs, and a smaller table that is perfect for cocktails or a glass of Chianti. Aside from frequent naps and time on the Internet (the cottage has wireless Internet), the kitchen and the terrace are where we spend most of our time, cooking with local ingredients, reading, writing, painting, and sketching. It is the quintessential place to relax.

Bob and Ally, who own Podere La Rota and live adjacent to the cottage, are model hosts. Every detail is taken care of, from the welcome platter of delicious meats, cheeses, and local tomatoes, to advice on local restaurants, shops, and destinations nearby. Originally from England, they have lived in Italy for more than twenty-five years and their business of renting houses and villas throughout Tuscany and Umbria has given them an intimate knowledge of the region. There are few questions they can’t answer and they go out of their way to be both helpful and unobtrusive.

Podere La Rota serves as an excellent base for exploring the Chianti region and beyond. The major wine towns of the region are all within an hour’s drive, offering wine tasting, excellent restaurants, and beautiful views. Siena can be reached in less than an hour by car and Florence is just a thirty-minute train ride from Montevarchi, fifteen minutes away. Further afield are many must-see Tuscan and Umbrian hill towns - Cortona, Orvieto, Perugia, and Arezzo - all filled with stunning art and beautiful architecture.

We’ve become very fond of nearby Montevarchi, which has some lovely shopping, restaurants, and an year-round enclosed farmers' market which features produce, meat, grains, and other products from nearby farms. A little farther down the road is San Giovanni Val d'Arno, a lovely little town with a great Saturday market and an excellent art museum, the Museo della Basilica di Santa Maria delle Grazie, which has a stunning Annunciation painted by Fra Angelico in 1435.

The cottage is an easy drive or train ride from Rome. For most of our visits we have spent a few days in the Eternal City then picked up our rental car at the main train station and made the three-hour drive to Moncioni, stopping for lunch at one of the many hill towns that dot the landscape adjacent to the A1 expressway. Last year, however, we flew directly into Florence where we spent the night before picking up our rental car. Once we reach Montevarchi, we usually stop at the Ipercoop for provisions before driving up the mountain to the cottage. It’s a huge store by Italian standards, filled with food, wine, and household items. As always, upon reaching the top of the drive leading down to the cottage, we smile and realize we’ve returned home to a small piece of heaven.

Liked best: View, location, ambiance
Liked least: Nothing
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing