“Best Greasy Spoon”

Ranked #8 of 18 Restaurants in Brookville
Brookville, Ohio
“Best Greasy Spoon”
Reviewed 11 December 2012

My five stars may need to be qualified with 'if you like homestyle restaurants' and 'for small town fare'. Everything I've eaten has been excellent, and the prices are reasonable. Ambiance is lacking but really it's about the food. Philly cheesesteak is amazing, so is the Reuben sandwich. The burritos and breakfast burritos are available with fresh, homemade salsa which impresses me. The side salads are a little mediocre but always fresh, not any pink edges or brown slimy bits. I do like the celery seed dressing. Service is great, I've found the staff friendly. Thursday nights they have cabbage rolls which are apparently very good but I've never ordered them.

• Visited November 2012

Brookville, Ohio
“Best restaurant in Brookville”
Reviewed 18 November 2011

First let me say that this is a good restaurant, just good, but in comparison to other local choices, this is the best overall. I suppose if I were to rate it "stand alone" I'd give it 4 stars. It is a small town diner and does just what you'd expect it to do - provide a good homemade meal, served up with a smile, for a fair price. You won't be disappointed.

We've always had good service at Market Street Cafe. Servers are friendly and attentive. The man that I think is the owner, though, could stand to put on a smile and thank folks every once and a while.

Prices are very fair. Portion sizes are not large, but certainly adequate. Overall, a good value.

As for the food: most everything seems to be made from scratch. You'd think that this should be standard for restaurants and needn't be mentioned, but it seems no where else in Brookville can grasp the concept of real cooking and just opens cans and uses frozen product. Not at Market Street Cafe. The country fried steak is the by far best I've ever had (my mouth is watering) and I've never been much of a fan of country fried steak before. The Salisbury steak makes me look forward to Tuesdays. Their homemade salad dressings, soups, pies, and REAL mashed potatoes are appreciated. Most every menu item is good, if not great. They've just added a few Mexican items to spice up the menu. The burritos are impressive; the quesadillas need a lot of work; the salsa is obviously made in-house.

Here's what we don't like (this is directed more towards the grumpy owner, if he were to ever read this). The rolls that come with dinners are store-bought, dry, and tasteless; a slice of Wonderbread would be better than those. The tossed salad couldn't get more boring (iceberg lettuce and a tomato wedge); they should skip the crackers served aside it and put on a couple rings of red onion and a sprinkling of shredded carrot or cheese. As mentioned before, the soups are good, with one exception: the cheesy potato soup is just gross. Does anyone taste this stuff before it goes out?

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank Robbie R
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“good, cheap homestyle diner”
Reviewed 7 January 2008