“Had a fabulous time!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cambridge
Colonel Taylor Inn B&B
Ranked #1 of 1 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend while he played in a basketball Tournament. We had a wonderful time. We stayed in The Rose Room. Very spacious, nice bed - next time I would probably bring my own pillows which is just a personal preference. The bathroom is very large - fireplace in bedroom and bathroom which is romantic. Very quiet place to stay. We walked around the neighborhood which was also so very quiet. We sat on the porch and just talked and watched the black squirrels chase each other. I really enjoyed sitting and talking to Carol - she is such an upbeat person to talk to and an inspiration. The breakfast was tasty and every morning she had our coffee ready. She asked every night before we went to bed what time we wanted breakfast - she typically serves around 9am but made special accomodations for us since my husband had 9am basketball games. Some B&B they are extra private and have rooms they don't want you to go in or dont' want you in the ktichen. Carol is not at all this way - she opened her home to us. I look forward to going back soon to do some antiquing!

Room Tip: I didn't mean to rate swimming pool and fitness center - doesn't apply to this location.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mel4osu

Reviewed 12 March 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Colonel Taylor Inn for a getaway weekend in March 2013. We chose this property based upon prior reviews and because my husband loves history. This property appeared to be a perfect fit. We stayed in the lilac room. At the time we made the reservation we were not aware the property had been sold about 1 year ago – this can be a red flag.
As a preface, we exclusively stay in B&B’s and have stayed in some of the nicest, mostly in the Midwest (Door County Wisconsin, Northern Michigan, etc). The positive of our visit: This property is worth visiting, but exclusively to see this magnificent home. The level of detail that went into building this home is amazing. Further, it is astonishing that many of the brilliant features of this home have not been altered in the 135+ years that it has been standing. It’s truly a piece of history and I am grateful to have had the opportunity to see this home.

The not so great parts of our visit:
Prior to our arrival we attempted to call but the call kept on going to a business phone that was not accepting messages. We thought we had the wrong number but we didn’t. The new owner, Carol, is a real estate agent in the local area. The phone number goes to her realty office. When we arrived we were greeted by Carol’s mother and shown to our room. The fireplace had been on for a considerable about of time and the room was roasting. Her mother said she did not know how to turn off the fireplace. We figured it out, but the room was so hot, we opened all of the windows (the storm windows were still installed); the room was not going to cool off quickly.

We did meet Carol as we were headed out to dinner and found out she was the owner but she only stays when there are guests. She owns a farm also in addition to the realty office. We immediately felt as though our stay was a bit of a burden to her. When we started asking questions about the house, she knew very little about the house. When asked if she had to do much work much to the property after purchasing (because it’s so beautiful and in great condition) she only talked about all of the work and renovations she had done and was planning to her third floor living space.

We returned from dinner and realized no one told us what time breakfast was. We also wanted to know if we could get ice. So, we asked Carol. Breakfast was at 9:00 a.m. and we could use the refrigerator/freezer in the kitchen. She would have shared all of this information if she would have checked us in but she was busy with another matter. Her mother only shows people to their rooms.

Breakfast was fine – nothing great. We went back up to the room and took a nap. We didn’t sleep much the night before because the room was still a sauna. The fireplace/mantel continued to radiate heat for hours after the fireplace was turned off. When we went downstairs Carol said her goodbyes to us. I said, we’ll still see you tomorrow, right? The short version of the story is that she thought we were only staying one night. She’s so busy with her other endeavors that she didn’t even know how many nights we were staying. It was very awkward to say the least.

Then the next morning, Sunday, we came downstairs just before 9 a.m. and she said she didn’t make breakfast because she wasn’t sure we would remember that it was daylight savings time! With all of the electronic devices today, it’s almost impossible to forget! We couldn’t wait to get home. We wanted to eat and leave.

Last, the room. Although the room itself is quite beautiful because of the house and the woodwork, three things stood out like a sore thumb. One, the shower curtain is orange at the bottom. I wondered if it had ever been washed since Carol took over the B&B. Surely she hasn’t stayed in the room. Second, the TV was at least 15 old. It is a behemoth of a thing with a built in VHS (that’s how I know it’s old!) and DVD. The sound is so terrible that it’s annoying. We really just wanted to watch the news, however, had we wanted to watch a movie, it would have been too distracting. If Carol can spend lots of money on her own private area, then either remove something that is outdated and works poorly or spend a few hundred dollars on something that is nice and works properly. If this is supposed be a high end B&B make sure the amenities are high end. Third, there is a rather large hole in the wall (size of a 50 cent piece) above the TV and a mirror on the floor. It’s fairly obvious what the problem is. So, either fix the problem, remove the mirror from the room temporarily while the problem is being fixed, or cover the problem up with another picture. Other little items in the room – peeling wallpaper in the bathroom, fixtures (TP holder, towel bars, and light above the TV) that don’t fit with the home. They look like they were bought at the dollar store. Drawers are lined with paper that is pieced together. Summary – no one is really paying attention to these rooms and the guest experience.

All of these incidents, isolated, would have been insignificant, but coupled together , they show a proprietor that isn’t really interested in running a B&B. For those of us that love staying at B&B’s part of the charm is getting to know the owner of the property. That’s what makes us return year after year. It’s a relationship that develops. When staying at a property that is old and has a history like this one does, visitors expect the proprietor to know the history. Carol doesn’t know much and doesn’t really seem to care. Carol probably couldn’t tell you one thing about us except for what is on our reservation. She didn’t ask us if we were celebrating anything special, if we needed help finding anything to do on Saturday, and in general didn’t talk with us, she just talked to us.

I know more about her than I should or care to. There are 8 cats in the house and she is vehemently opposed to spaying and neutering at appropriate times. One cat, the mother of 6 of them, she thought was in heat during that weekend, but she had not had time to get the female spayed. She was in the process of getting the 6 month + old kittens spayed but only had 3 of them done this week.

She told us her farm house has over 100 cats and I don’t remember how many dogs and countless other animals. She has no idea what my background is regarding animals and to share this kind of information with someone else is strange and odd. She had very strong opinions about some things that were just not appropriate to share with someone that you don’t know and don’t know anything about.

If you look at the reviews for this property, only 4 have been written since Carol took over the property and only 3 of them were written while she was at the home. One mentions Susan who is her manager. I’m guessing reviews weren’t written because the experiences were mediocre. It is possible, the guests that wrote the positive reviews “clicked” with Carol or they have very low expectations of what a B&B proprietor does.

The best B&B’s are ones that are occupied by the owner, when it is their passion/profession, and when they take pride in the home that they own and maintain every portion of the home as if it is a reflection on themselves. Proprietors of old homes are generally passionate about the history of the home. Generally, B&B proprietors enjoy meeting people and sharing their home. It’s a business, not an afterthought or an inconvenience to them.

I’d be very cautious about staying here, or at least lower your expectation if you are a frequent visitor of B&B’s. I wish we would have just left after we realized she thought we were only staying one night.

Room Tip: It appears as though all of the room are nice in terms of experiencing the architecture of the home.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
15  Thank rebholla
Reviewed 3 October 2012

An absolutely stunning Victorian home with exquisite furnishings. My husband and I stayed in the beautiful Lilac room which was quite large, very clean and furnished with wonderful antiques. The bed was very comfortable and the linens were of high quality. Although we did not make use of the gas fireplace, it could make for a very romantic and cozy room on a cold fall or winter night. The owner, Carol, was very friendly and made us feel very comfortable immediately upon arrival. She had no problem with any of her guests poking around any where in the house including the basement! The breakfasts were delicious and the conversations around the dining room table each morning were relaxed and inviting. If our travels ever take us to Cambridge, Ohio again, this is where we will be staying without a doubt.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank TrippysDoe
Reviewed 28 September 2012

My wife and I stayed in the Rose suite. One of the largest b&b rooms I have every stayed in. The king size bed was firm and very comfortable. Nice couch in the room to sit and read on. The bathroom was HUGE. I have stayed in b&b's that sleeping room was not that large. Plenty of towels, a robe and a great whirlpool tub. Breakfast was ample without being overly filling (just the way I like it). All the guests sit around a large table which gets you into the coversation. The owner Carol and her mom are very nice, warm and welcoming. I have never been at a b&b where the owner invites you into the kitchen and no room is off limits. It was a joy to stay here and I would not hesitate to do it again if and when I am in the area.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any of the rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Foghorn8508
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Wonderful large 1890's Victorian house, extremely friendly owner, great breakfast. This is why you go to b&b's. We were in for a wedding with another couple. This added to a wonderful out of town weekend

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Larry F
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Mark and Susan are great hosts that make you feel welcome. The rooms are privite and exceptionally clean. I would love to stay again.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank 664
Reviewed 1 February 2012

The Colonel Taylor Inn was recommended by another B&B in a different state. Trusting this family, I did little research before arriving. My eyes grew to the size of pie plates as I turned up the driveway! It is nothing short of a mansion inside and out! I could write a magazine article on my experience here, as I stayed for 5 nights. Owners Jim and Patricia were proud hosts, chefs,
tour directors, and conversationalists. I would come to the Inn again as a destination in itself, to relax, rejuvenate, and feel like a princess. Jim and Patricia organized a massage therapist to attend for a most relaxing massage in my own room. Antique shopping nearby, and Amish farmlands to explore. I hope to go again this summer.

Room Tip: I had a peek in a few rooms; all will please you.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank mich11roadrunner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Salt Fork Lodge and Conference Center
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Cambridge
Fairfield Inn & Suites Cambridge
Baymont Inn & Suites Cambridge
Pine Lakes Lodge B&B Resort and Conference Center
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#6 of 14 in Cambridge

Been to Colonel Taylor Inn B&B? Share your experiences!