“Moldy, nasty, overpriced, horrible customer service”
Review of Southgate Hotel

Southgate Hotel
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 1 September 2012

This is one of the nastiest hotels I've ever stayed in. This place should be a $20 a night hooker hotel. The room had mold all over the ceiling and reaked of mildew and cigarettes. The bar is super loud and trashy. No one answered the phone when we called the front desk and when we went to the front desk to ask for another room, we stood at the front desk for over 20 minutes waiting on someone to help us.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Amboromo

Reviewed 25 July 2012

Stopped in at 10:00 pm with no reservations. All hotels in town were booked and the nearest hotel was ninety minutes away. Night clerk would not budge from his $89.00 for the room.
Requested non smoking room. After walking around the rear of the building, then past the mound of cigarette butts laying near the door walked upstairs to my room. Opened the door and immediately smelled smoke and then noticed a ash tray on the table. Called and requested another room, entered the new room and again the smell of cigarettes permeated the air and again another ash tray laying on the table. I then called front desk and requested another non smoking room. I was informed that was all he had, Room and carpet were filthy, stains on the bed sheet. I asked for a partial refund in the morning and received "sorry". Stay away. This place is a dive.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Mark D
Reviewed 16 July 2012 via mobile

No other hotels available. Ok for 1 night. Beds were comfy. Room was clean.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Yes, unlocked my door and saw that someone else's stuff was already there! Thank goodness they weren't in there. When I finally got a room to myself (after lugging all my bags up and down steps since there is no elevator) I found someone else's bathroom garbage still in the garbage can. The room was quite shabby too and when I told the snotty blonde at the front desk that I was dissatisfied and would like to speak to a manager she told me I could not and would be charged for 2 nights even though I left after one. I eventually was refunded. This place is a dive. I will never go back.

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank Ginger B
Reviewed 22 September 2011

I recently had my wedding at the Southgate Hotel and I was staying there for 3 nights along with alot of other family. Front Staff was really nice. Room was clean recently spruced up with some paint, bathroom fixtures, mini fridge, etc. For the price you couldn't beat the place. The pool was open but didn't get to use it as it was a little cold. They put out a little breakfast spread for us, they said they don't usually do that but it was nice that they did knowing there were a lot of people staying there. Had WIFI which was nice. There is a Sheetz across the street that I walked to a few times to grab a snack. The bar had some pretty good drink prices, pool table, darts, tv's, it was a good spot to hang out with everyone. The reception hall for the wedding was great. The hotel is AMERICAN / LOCALLY OWNED so that was a plus knowing it wasn't a giant corporation. The only down side I had was hearing the cleaning staff complaining that everyone was still in there rooms and they couldn't clean.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We stayed at the hotel for a few nights this past week. Front desk staff was great in assisting us. Rooms were clean and repainted recently. Obviously a older hotel but still in good condition now that someone is taking care of it. Great deals at the bar!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2011

There must have been a major overhaul since the other reviews . Because of a huge lightning storm , we decided to stop in this little town for the night . Unknown to us there were 2 big events going on over the weekend and rooms were scarce .
The fellow behind the desk was very nice . The hallway to our room was very hot , but once we got into our room it was nice and cool . It was clean and comfortable . Wifi didn't work for us , but after awhile they reset the router and we had good connections .
Front desk staff at check out were also very friendly . There was a nice , large area for kids to run around near the pool .

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family