“The filthies place I have ever been.......”

Salt Fork Lodge and Conference Center
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Cambridge
Cincinnati
“The filthies place I have ever been.......”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

My husband and I and our three kids (4yr old & twin 1yr olds) rented a hillside cottage Sept 2nd - Sept 5th. After an almost four hour drive we arrived in the evening and were assigned cottage #41. True to other posts, the cabin was a bit outdated but we were okay with that. What we weren't okay with was how filthy the cabin was. The kitchen/dining room floor had not been swept or mopped....maybe ever. The bathroom shower had mold growing in it - and not just mold on the caulked areas which happens, but large patches of fuzzy black mold, the window valences had layers of dirt lying on the creases and the area between the bedside tables and walls had so much dust that you couldn't see the carpet or the baseboards - but you could see the dead bugs and cob webs. Oh yes, and did I mention the debate we had over whether the smears on the light switch were blood or feces?!
I went to the lodge to discuss the condition of our cabin and spoke to "Risa". During the course of our conversation, Risa walked away from me twice while I was in mid-sentence to talk to someone else, each time returning to say "I'm sorry, I walked away while you were talking. It is so hectic right now." I was told that we could not switch cabins because the resort was completely booked for the holiday weekend. We were trapped. I cancelled our reservation for the third night we were supposed to stay (it was a 2 night minimum) and I would have left the very next morning and just ate the couple hundred dollars for the second night but we had friends coming in from W. VA and family coming in from Columbus on Saturday to "vacation" with us.
Look, my husband and I don't normally stay at high end hotels and resorts - we're average people who can tolerate a lot but this was beyond anything either of us have ever seen. I literally got down on my hands and knees and scrubbed the kitchen/dining room floor THREE times and it probably could have used another pass. We also took all the extra sheets of the beds and put them on the couch and chairs because we were afraid to sit on anything with fabric. We got up at 6:15 our final morning to pack up because I couldn't stand being there another second. This was the filthiest place I have ever been and I will never be back. It really is a shame, the park itself and the surrounding nature is really beautiful.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank FrankOmar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 4 September 2011

A very nice lodge in the middle of incredible state park. 2 marinas, lots of beautiful views!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Shaker Heights, Ohio
Reviewed 1 September 2011

A great halfway point between Cleveland and Ohio University/Athens area. We stayed at the Lodge and enjoyed the great indoor pool and hot tub, following by a morning at the very nice outdoor pool. Dinner at the Timbers restaurant surprised us with its quality and beautiful presentation - Greek Chicken with Pasta dish was SO delicious. Even the cocktail was better than I've had at posher places.

Room Tip: Tends to attract young families, so ask for a quiet area away from pool?
Barberton, Ohio
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Beautiful area, lots of wild life, renting boat etc. pretty pricey, everything close by to enjoy.
Hotel staff very friendly and helpful. Room clean, food was good and affordable. Only downside was spa not very clean, little children in the spa, dirty entrance ways to the wings, and dusty,dirty hallways and entrance way to the dining room. I would return again and hope that the cleaning staff is doing their job much better. Someone should go out and check the entrance ways daily to make sure they are. It is a shame to let such a wonderful place look like that when 5 min. vacuum in those areas would make all the difference. Thanks again for a wonderful, relaxing 3 days.

Room Tip: Do you have specials and what are they as far as rooms are concerned?
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 24 August 2011

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our overnight stay. I would recommend staying longer! If you have an appreciation for nature, this is the place to be. Great trails, views of the lake and morning and evening visits from the friendly deer. This park came highly recommended and we were not disappointed. Great staff and family friendly atmosphere.

Room Tip: If you want to see the deer, get the balcony view of the woods.
Strongsville, Ohio
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Our family stayed at this place on a Thursday and generally speaking it was a very nice time. It is an older place, but that is part of its charm and I kind of liked the 70's-80's lodge feel with dark woods and timbers. Our room was nothing special, but clean and did sport a newer looking flat-panel TV (not that we watched it much). Room decor was awfully dated, however, and could desparately use refreshing/updating.

No complaints on service-staff at both front desk and at the restaurant were helpful and friendly. Best thing about the entire place is the very large, nice Outdoor pool. Only stupid (and annoying) things was their "rest period" included everyone-adults and kiddies. Not a very smart idea for paying guests who would like to swim laps without children jumping around.

We did also take a ride by the beach, which is a good drive from the Lodge. Not very impressive. Beach looked not well kept up and changing rooms looked the same.

Still, for what we wanted, this had what we wanted. Picturesque location, Nice Restaurant, Good Service, Great Outdoor Pool. We would go back, though the Maumee Location is nicer and more up to date.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Canton, Ohio
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Salt Fork Resort was beyond our expectations. This is a wonderful place to take your family or to go as a couple. So many activities are available, or if you just want to relax. Beautiful area! A must to visit.

Room Tip: Get the room facing the woods, especially in the fall.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Cambridge
#11 of 14 in Cambridge
Hampton Inn Newcomerstown
Hampton Inn Newcomerstown
#1 of 4 in Newcomerstown

Been to Salt Fork Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!