“Great family getaway”

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Cambridge
Canton, Ohio
“Great family getaway”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We've been coming to Salt Fork Lodge for 20 years and have always loved it. In recent years, it looked in declined, but we stayed this past week and you can tell they have really been working hard to improve the place! The food and waiters were good (much improved!!). The pizza was much improved and good. The rooms were nice and clean. New furniture in the lobby. Hot and strong showers!! As always, the lake and boating were great. The views from the room are great. Great job, Salt Fork!! (FYI: We did see people trying to feed the deer, and folks the animals are wild ... it's not a petting zoo.) We loved walking from the lodge down the trail to the boat docks and every time we'd see different animals. Very lovely.

Room Tip: Wood side has great views, but if you have children, the pool view is fun.
Green Features: Nice. They don't offer little bottles of shampoo, but refillable bottles. They have recycling bins. They do encourage you to be straw free, if you wish, and the to-go containers are recycled materials and not styrofoam.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
GMSFSaltForkLodge, General Manager at Salt Fork Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for the wonderful feedback. Everyone on the Salt Fork team works hard to provide our guests with a positive experience, and comments like these make it all worthwhile. I'm especially happy to read that you've been visiting Salt Fork for 20 years and remain loyal to our park and lodge.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Best Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My husband and I spent an enjoyable overnight at Salt Fork Lodge. The room was just right, including a balcony looking out into the woods. We didn't have a chance to swim in either of the pools, but they looked wonderful. The lodge itself is tremendous -- a great example of the genre -- built in early 70s.

Room Tip: We enjoyed having a room that looked out to the woods.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Your feedback is very much appreciated, and I thank you for your kind words. My team works hard to provide our guests with a positive experience, and comments like the ones you’ve shared make it all worthwhile. We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back for a future overnight stay!

With Gratitude,
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the lodge two nights while celebrating our 53rd wedding anniversary. Our room was in B wing on the 2nd floor, the woods view. While they call it the woods view actually the trees had been trimmed so we had a wonderful view of the lake way below our balcony. We did not take advantage of the pool but the pool area was very nice. The pool is huge. We had a king room. It had a small refrigerator and free wifi. The only down side of the whole experience was the noise that all the air conditioners make. We didn't sleep much the first night due to the noise. You could not only hear your own air conditioner but the ones from the rooms all around. As I mentioned that was the only down side of our stay there.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
GMSFSaltForkLodge, General Manager at Salt Fork Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent experience at Salt Fork. I am thrilled to learn that your stay was enjoyable and have taken the liberty to share your comments with my staff. I know they appreciate positive feedback just as much as I do.

Congratulations on fifty three years of marriage! A remarkable milestone for sure.

Ohio
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My wife and I stayed in the lodge there at the end of June after a family event nearby. The resort also has a number of cabins available. This resort, with a huge pool, well staffed with life guards, is more of a family getaway locale than couples destination. The one restaurant had good, not great food, with helpful service, The only nightlife available is a quiet bar with great bartenders and one pool table. Oh, you could go looking for bigfoot if you were brave, I suppose. The state park around is awsome, just beautiful. If you golf, be sure to take on their golf course. It is also beautiful, impeccably maintained but be ready for a hill climbing challenge. Our only complaint was the housekeeping. The first full day there, our room was not made up until well after 5 P.M. The second day, we did not get enough towels till late afternoon. Most of the people staying there seemed to be in small groups and families. For these it seems to be ideal

Room Tip: Some look out on incredible vistas and some look out on the pool,
Green Features: They had a campaign going on to go "straw free". Meaning drinking straws. Really. Ridiculous. Yet I did not see that they were recycling cans and bottles.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gbthree
GMSFSaltForkLodge, General Manager at Salt Fork Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Your feedback is very much appreciated, and I thank you for your kind words. My team works hard to provide our guests with a positive experience, and comments like the ones you’ve shared make it all worthwhile. I apologize for the delayed housekeeping service, and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

We look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay!

With Gratitude,
Ray, Ohio
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Great lodge, one of the best in Ohio. The lounge was nice, the staff was very friendly and the kids loved the pools and game room. The pontoon boat rental was a bit pricey. Just disappointed that we didn't catch a glimpse of Bigfoot!

Room Tip: Pool side rooms are convenient.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
GMSFSaltForkLodge, General Manager at Salt Fork Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent experience at Salt Fork. I am thrilled to learn that your stay was enjoyable and have taken the liberty to share your comments with my staff (and Bigfoot). I know they appreciate positive feedback just as much as I do.

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

I just spent a wonderful night in a rustic lodge. My friends, who are locals, sent me mixed reviews when it came to whether or not to say at the lodge. But when it came down to staying in shady Cambridge or out at Salt Fork, I chose wisely. Cons: I was concerned when I first walked in that it wouldn't be up to par - the lodge is old, dusty, and in need of some updates. The room had a few flying guests that had died on the counters/beds/floors/side tables and the room should have been given a once over before guest were allowed in (like maybe no one had been in it for weeks), the beds squeaked like turn of the century springs had been used, pillows were flat, room was dusty, and the shower head was really grimy. I have a germ problem with the "community" soap/lotion/shampoo despensers rather than new soaps for every guest. Finally, a bit pricey for what's available. Pros: The staff was friendly, the views were amazing, the room itself was cute (not Four Seasons but very cabin-like), decent bar/lounge, and we had lots of fun in the pool and the game room. The wildlife was abundant.
I heard they will be working on the state park soon, so while I had a good time, I am going to wait until the updates are performed before going back. I would still recommend a visit before staying off I-70 in Cambridge though.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BenjiTriptaker
GMSFSaltForkLodge, General Manager at Salt Fork Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for the candid feedback. I do apologize for the condition of your room. No excuses in terms of cleanliness, but those doggone bed foundations. In our efforts to keep moving in a "green direction", we purchased a product called Forever Foundations less than two years ago. Produced by Serta, these function as both a base and box spring and are designed to last a "lifetime". Unfortunately, the problem we are having is the bolts tend to come loose ... which explains the bed squeeking. We hope to have a permanent solution to this problem very soon.

Most importantly, we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Best Regards,
Canton, Ohio
Reviewed 30 May 2014

we've done probaly 5 or 6 stays here and always leave being refreshed.if you have children .the lodge has plenty of activtiies for them. not only interesting for them but teachable at the same time.there is an outdoor swimming area and a walk up bar there also.plenty of lifeguards for your saftey.

Room Tip: recommend the "B" wing.deers come up over the hill from the lake and is fun to see looking...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent experience at Salt Fork. I am thrilled to learn that your stay was enjoyable. I especially like your perspective on our various activity programs. Our Activity Director (former elementary school teacher) designs programs intended to educate. The lodge's on-site Naturalist makes learning fun!

Keith Cook
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Pine Lakes Lodge B&B Resort and Conference Center
Days Inn Cambridge
Days Inn Cambridge
#10 of 14 in Cambridge
Coshocton Village Inn & Suites

Been to Salt Fork Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!