“Great Location”

Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Canton
USA
“Great Location”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This hotel is very classy. It is clean, the rooms are clean, the bathroom was clean. Just a great place to stay for the whole family. The indoor pool is great, the exercise room is great and the staff is very friendly and can help you find restaurant locations in the area. I had to stay at this hotel for a funeral so it was not pleasure. I would stay again if I needed to go back to Ohio.

Room Tip: I would probably stay on the second floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Kansas City
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I decided to stay here based on the glowing reviews by a lot of other reviewers. Look, no offense, but what hotels have you people stayed in over the years??? It didn't look to me like Canton had all that fantastic of hotel options, but there has to be a better one than this.

The front desk staff were very friendly, but I found them no more or less friendly than most other hotels I have stayed at. There were a few notable things about the hotel that distinguished it--there was a carafe of fruit-infused water at the front desk which would have been a nice touch had it not been empty, and the breakfast area in the main lobby had yogurt and fruit available, which is a thoughtful thing to provide all day to travelers.

The Fairfield certainly had some interesting guests. In the evening there were young men with open glass beer bottles swimming in the pool, which seems like a terrible idea on many levels for the Fairfield to allow, particularly as it was still early in the evening, so there were still children about, and because glass shouldn't be allowed in pools (the pool is clearly visible through a window to anyone in the lobby so the staff could not have been ignorant to the situation). There was also a couple checking in whose only luggage seemed to be a 30 pack of Natural Light. I'm not faulting the Fairfield for that, but if you're a business traveler hoping for quiet fellow guests, this may not be the place for you if that's any indication of who their regular patrons are.

Moving on, at the front desk I explained I had a feather allergy and was told the pillows would be immediately replaced. They were replaced, but I was told that only the pillows in front (there were 5 pillows) were feather and the rest were not. Well, I can assure you they were and I was quite sick the next day. Unfortunately it's hard to tell the difference between feather and polyfill pillows so you have to trust that you're being told the truth. I will say that I thought it was ignorance on the part of the employee who was really trying to be helpful.

There was a letter on the desk in the room welcoming some man we had never heard of in the room. We called to make sure this man wasn't supposed to be staying in the room we had and were told to ignore it. I don't know if the man had already been and gone (which would say more about the housekeeping), or if he had changed his mind, or what.

Breakfast was what you would expect--fruit, cereal, yogurt, eggs, sausage, etc., pretty much the same fare you get at most hotels of this type nowadays, although the coffee was exceptionally bad. Still, there were pretty good options on the buffet.

However, here's where the poor rating is really coming from--when I stepped in the shower in the morning, I moved the shower curtain out of the way and there were several clumps of pubic hairs on the side of the inside of the tub. Even worse, they were several different colors of pubic hair. Soooo disgusting. I deeply regret not looking at the sheets before I slept on them, which I normally do as a practice but I was so tired that I didn't look, much to my everlasting regret.

Maybe they were having a bad night or something, but I won't stay there again. Anyway, here's a bullet point summary of the hotel:

Pros:
--Breakfast buffet in the morning with reasonably good but not outstanding variety (eggs, sausage, breads, oatmeal, waffles, yogurt, fruit)
--Friendly and personable front desk staff
--Small selection of grocery items with microwave at front desk
--Comfortable bed and spacious room
--Prettily decorated reception area

Cons:
--I don't recommend this hotel if you have a feather allergy
--Bathtub was filthy (pubic hairs on sides including one large-ish clump of them)
--Coffee is terrible (I never expect great coffee in hotels but this was really bad)
--Hotel guests allowed to take glass beer bottles into the swimming pool
--At least that night they had lots of drinkers in the hotel, including in the pool. Supervise your children in this hotel

Bottom line, you'd be better off at a Holiday Inn, Drury Inn, Hampton, or even a La Quinta if you are staying in this class of hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank busitrav33
CantonFFHI_GM, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Canton, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Dear Dan,

Thank you for your feedback. I am so sorry for not exceeding your expectations during your stay. While it stings to receive negative feedback, we will use it as an opportunity to learn and grow. I want to apologize for the issues you encountered. I know how disappointing it is to be distracted by negative experiences on a trip.

I also want to apologize for any guests that may have disturbed you during your stay. There was an area wide dart tournament in Canton during your stay. We will work harder next year to minimize any issues with visible alcohol in public areas and better enforcement of our no eating or drinking policy in the pool area. I also want to apologize for the hair that was missed when we serviced your room. We pride ourselves on providing a clean and fresh room. Missing something like that is unacceptable and should never happen. I am also sorry for the welcome letter in your room not properly addressing you. Room assignments changed during the busy ongoings of the night and we failed to switch your personal welcome letter with the other guest's. This was definitely lesson learned on the importance of accuracy.

Thanks again for taking the time to evaluate us. We appreciate the positive things you said about us and we will use the constructive criticism to grow. I hope that you will give us another chance if you are in Canton again. Please feel free to contact me with any additional suggestions or observations you wish to share.

Jack Butler
General manager
Canton Fairfield Inn
330-493-7373
Jack.butler@tmihospitality.com
Columbus, OH
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

After originally booking a neighboring hotel that gave away our room, we found ourselves in Canton the weekend of an event with limited hotel availability. Fairfield Inn & Suites was out third try, and should have been our first.

The check-in staff were welcoming and helpful. Our room on the third floor was mostly quiet, save for the rare heavy-footed runs down the hallway. The freeway was audible, but the in-room fan adequately blocked the noise. The room was clean and our king-sized bed was comfortable.

Breakfast was standard and included both hot and cold items. As someone with Celiac Disease, the staff helped me determine which food items I could safely eat by reviewing the nutrition labels together. I was ecstatic to see Rice Chex available, but had the added bonus of gluten free hot breakfast options as well - a rarity in my travels.

Upon checkout, a member of the staff helped us sign up for the Marriott Rewards program, which allowed for retroactive point additions for our recent stays in the neighboring Residence Inn, which we also highly recommend. An altogether class act.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Leland, Michigan
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We recently spent a week at this hotel in preparation for my daughters wedding. Moreso, we chose it as the preferred hotel for family and friends attending the wedding from various states; a choice that turned out to be one of our best wedding decisions. While I could tell you about the spotless room with ultra comfortable bedding and plentiful towels, the free breakfast that boasted a variety of hot and cold selections that were fresh (and many available all day), the business center, exercise room, or relaxing pool/hot tub...what makes this hotel shine above any hotel stay in memory is one thing - ATTITUDE. Led by example in general manager Jack Butler, the entire staff is sincere, attentive, prompt, and ultra helpful. I personally witnessed Jack head for home after a long day, only to encounter an elderly couple arriving in the parking lot. Instead of getting into his car as planned, he carried in their bags - all the way to their room. Jack snaked a drain in his suit & tie, left us bottled water and notes, brought in a fridge, adjusted water temps in the hot tub for our comfort. He was tireless. When my daughter dropped a box of belongings, he was around the desk helping her before I could blink. Scott and Crystal, at the front desk, followed with this same friendliness and work ethic. The lady who maintained breakfast and our room attendant were both thorough and instilled confidence. I never once worried about the security of our belongings. I just can't say enough. As hotels go, nothing in Canton compares to the dedication of this team. There is one section of the third floor that backs up to the highway and truck noise at night is heard there (odd number rooms 319-323). If that is a concern just ask to be on the other end of the hall (even number rooms around 300 & up). I slept fine in 323, but I spent time on the other end of the third floor as well and it is quieter. Bravo!

Room Tip: in Canton compares to the dedication of this team. There is one section of the third floor that bac...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
CantonFFHI_GM, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Canton, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Marcy,

Thanks so much for the nice feedback about our hotel and staff. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We really appreciate your encouraging words. It was a pleasure serving you and your family. I really enjoyed speaking with you throughout your stay. Thank you for choosing us for your special occasion. Please come back to visit us again soon :)

Jack Butler
Lantana, tx
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I was using some points to stay at this facility while visiting a local attraction. I was immeadiately pleased with the way I was welcomed at the front desk and the personal note in my room From the hospitality manager.
The room was immaculate. While printing my boarding pass the next day. I overheard the daily quality discussion the staff has. They spent time reviewing comments and noting what twas done well And what could be improved upon.
I really like that ongoing focus on customer service.

• Stayed March 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I stayed at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Canton for about 3 months while on business travel and couldn't have made a better choice for a place to stay. The staff was extremely helpful and always understanding of sudden changes and items that needed to be tended to. Additionally, the staff even helped my fellow patrons and I dig our cars out of the snow. I was always met with a smile and good conversation and was never dissatisfied with the room I was staying in. If I'm ever in Canton again this Fairfield Inn would be my first choice.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Alpha Ohio
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We arrived after 8pm and Miranda took excellent care of us and we were in our very nice room in just a few minutes. In our room there was a personal note welcoming us. Everything was clean and attractive and we had a good quiet night's sleep. The next morning we were cordially greeted by every employee we encountered. Very nice indeed.

Breakfast was not up to the standard we had been enjoying: powdered eggs, no sweet rolls, pretty much what you get most places but we had expected better from the hotels descrption on its web site and because everything else was so well done.

Room Tip: The double queen room had 6 pillows per bed, a nice desk, fridge and good wifi
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business