“Disappointing for Marriott brand.”

Residence Inn Canton
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Canton
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I have been a Marriott customer for business and pleasure for 13 years now. I will normally only choose a Marriott brand. This trip was a severe disappointment. I never would have imagined we would have to dodge animal feces in the hallway. We told the front desk about it and nothing was done for hours. We complained about the smell in the room and asked if we could use some air freshener, we were told they would get to it the next day. There were butt prints on one of the mirrors, mold in the showers, broken furniture, broken bath fixtures, very dirty kitchen counters and dirty floors throughout. Not to mention the sound of dogs barking throughout the night. I should have asked if it was pet friendly so I would have known there would be dog feces in the hall. The maids also left the toilet tissue kindly on the kitchen table for us to put up. Maybe this was normal for Ohio? I normally don't write reviews, but people need to know. I will reconsider Marriott in the future due to this experience.

Room 104
July 10-13

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Switzer6
TMIHospitality, Manager at Residence Inn Canton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Switzer6,
Thank you for your review of our hotel and for being a loyal Marriott customer. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the negative experience you had. I’m saddened to think that the conditions you described could be for my hotel. It is always our goal to impress our guests and when that doesn’t happen we want to know. I would really like to discuss your stay in further detail so that I can address the issues with my staff. I would be most gracious if you could contact me at your earliest convenience. I hope you will allow the Residence Inn Canton the opportunity to make up for this on your next visit to the area.

Robin E.
330-493-0004
cantonri@tmihospitality.com

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I had a business trip with my son and my dog. There were only two things of concern: the sofa bed had recent stains on the upholstery and the fee for my dog was not handled well. Good breakfast with staff who was friendly to everyone in the breakfast room.
Loved the pool, hot tub is HOT!

Room Tip: 2nd floor suite was quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Due to a family emergency and subsequent long-term hospitalization, our family travels to Canton every weekend. The proximity of Residence Inn to area hospitals and the family-style suites made our lodging decision easy. A 2-bedroom suite with kitchen and living area was less expensive than 2 standard rooms at neighboring hotels. We were sold.

From the first moment of interaction, the staff at Residence Inn were nothing short of graciously accommodating. Because our family members left our hometown at different times, some people arrived ahead of others - 3 hours earlier than Residence Inn was expecting. A quick phone call explaining the situation and the first guests to arrive were able to check into the suite and get situated despite the fact that the reservation was in our name and we were hours behind. Residence Inn made a stressful timing situation a non-issue.

When we finally arrived, the front desk was genuinely happy to see us. Their enthusiasm and dedication didn't seem rehearsed - natural hospitality. Our suite was just what we needed - the privacy of separate bedrooms with a common area for meals, relaxing, and planning the logistics of our daily schedule. We were originally placed on the first floor with seemingly energetic and nocturnal upstairs neighbors - we notified the staff who quickly intervened for a peaceful night's rest. The following day, the staff gladly moved us to the top floor and we didn't run into any further issue. I would recommend booking a top-floor unit, if possible.

The unit was clean and comfortable - the perfect home base after 12 hours in the hospital per day. The shower pressure was incredible, and quality toiletries were provided (such as Paul Mitchell shampoo.) Breakfast was standard and involved both hot and cold selections.

We can't say enough great things about the staff and accommodations at Residence Inn. We've all said that we'd like to move into our unit permanently! Especially during such a trying time in life, we are extra grateful for worry-free lodging.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kussa
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We were in town last weekend for a funeral. We stayed in a two bedroom suite. The rooms and bathrooms were very clean and well stocked. Upon leaving, there was lady at the front desk (I am sorry, but I was distressed over this funeral and did not catch her name) at 11 a.m. Feb 10 when we left. She did an incredible act of kindness for me that I will not go into detail over but it will never be forgotten. God bless you, lovely lady. Marriott Group - that employee is a keeper.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Suzy Q
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We had only one night during a road trip with three kids a poodle and a cat. The room was updated, clean and perfect for us. No issues at all. We didn’t eat in the morning, but looked like the standard free breakfast at all Residence Inn’s. It was right off the highway and near local shopping, food etc.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 December 2013

My family stayed in this hotel while we were dealing with the funeral of our mother. All that I can say is that the staff, here, were extremely supportive and caring about all of our needs including sending sympathy cards to the rooms of all family members.

They title themselves "Residence Inn" and it was every bit like a "residence" should be. The common area was warm and inviting and a great place for us to congregate during the weekend which was stressful. The staff (Jennifer, the manager, Jeremy, the night clerk, Cathy, the day clerk, and Celiarose) were helpful at every stage of our stay.

This is definitely the place that we would stay, again, and we have stayed in many hotels during our travels.

There are only two comments/suggestions that I would make. First, though the hotel has recently been upgraded, there is still a lot of cold air that comes in around the 1st floor windows. This is our first time on the first floor (we have stayed many times on the upper floors), but the temperature near the walls was about 4 degrees cooler than the rest of the room. This is probably due to contractor rather than management errors.

The other is that the breakfast menu needs to be more flexible in terms of dietary restrictions. The daily breakfast menu was scrambled eggs, sausage (pork or beef, I dunno), potatoes cereal and waffles. I would like it if they would alter the menu from time to time (turkey sausage or Canadian bacon or veggie bacon), provide vegan/vegetarian alternatives or at least list the ingredients (sausage can be made from beef, pork, or both), so that people with dietary/religious restrictions can know what they are eating (to be fair, Marriott needs to do this, in general).

Also, the restaurant is closed to MANY good restaurants for either eat-in or take-out.

Bottom line, this is our preferred hotel for the Canton/Green area and we'll definitely be staying there, again!

Room Tip: See above. First floor rooms seem to have a problem with cold air, especially those facing the North...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SnMcL
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

My family and I were here to visit the football hall of fame museum and chose this hotel from the positive reviews on this site. With a family of 5 we booked a 2 bedroom suite. It was wonderful to have all that space. We typically loathe staying at hotels, but really enjoyed residence inn and will look into staying at this chain on other trips. The staff was super super friendly and appeared to really like their job. The room was clean, bathrooms clean. The pool appeared to be nice as well although we checked in a little later to partake in that with young kids. The breakfast was satisfactory, kids loved the waffles! All in all, I'd highly recommend this hotel, better than any other I've stayed in.

Stayed: November 2013