“For an older hotel it is ok!”

McKinley Grand Hotel
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Canton
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed in September 2013 for a night. It is a very old and outdated hotel, but I like the old pictures, dresses, and cars when walking thru. I thought it brought back history. The bathroom was a bit small, but the bed was sooo comfortable. The staff was friendly. Not bad for a night to pass through... I have had lunch in the past which was good.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed 2 nights for a local wedding. Rooms overall clean , housekeeping very accomadating. I was a liitle concerned about the towel situation from previous reviews i read . The houskeeping staff was always around in the halls during the day and i simply asked for extra towel and no problem at all. The rooms are large, good TV and comfortable bed and pillows. Front desk staff very friendly and the bellman was very sweet. Overall i found it to be very plesant. It would be nice if the bar was open a little later than 11 pm on a Fri night( if we hadnt been there for a wedding - may not have mattered). I did not see a book in the room about the local area and things to do, places to eat etc - that would have been nice . Also I wish they offered a coffee/ water station in the lobby ( must stay at too many.B&B's). One last thing - check hotels.con -18.00 per night cheaper! And we always found street parking close - no meters after 5 pm and on weekends. Eat at Benders for lunch - great food - dinner is oricey. FHF - great, First Ladies museum- great and if you grew up in Chicago with Fannie May the factory tour is nice !!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 18 October 2013

As usual, I used Priceline and sought out a place to stay that fit into our travels. This trip took us through Canton, Oh for the night and I didn't want anything under a 3 star hotel. Priceline has never let me down before. After selecting from 4 zones, I was placed in the McKinley Grand Hotel. As a huge football fan, I was excited to hear in someones reviews that some of the inductees have stayed here before their induction into the Hall of Fame.. I respectfully say [--] to that review. This place is the worst hotel I have possibly ever stayed. It is miles away from the Hall of Fame or any of the other hotels in the area and placed right in the middle of the city. A part of the city that was dirty and included more than a handful of odd drunks and other people talking to themselves as they sat in front of the front doors of the hotel. Besides a parking garage across the street with few lights, the hotel recommended we just park on the side streets and come down by 8am to put coins in the meters as to avoid getting a ticket?? Really??
On this Sunday, It was 60 degrees outside. In the lobby, it was about 55. Not kidding. We couldn't believe it. Not only was the gentleman at the front desk unshaven and unkept, but I had to wait for him to get off his cell phone before he could check me in. When I had asked if there was any sports bars in the area to catch the evenings Sunday night football game, he wouldn't give me any advice besides the 55 degree lobby bar with a 15 year old, bad picture tube television. Thanks. The only other two times I was in the lobby, there was my check-in guy being yelled at by 2 other guests for what ever reason. On a night that the city seemed like a ghost town and the hotel occupancy was probably 15-20, we were put on the 6th floor at the faaaaarthest end of the hall way in a room that was dark and dirty and smelly. The carpets were dingy and the bed sheets looked unclean. The television couldn't get a clear picture on most channels and there was no channel guide. Just an HBO movie guide that looked like it had been used as a coaster for the last 2 weeks by other guests. The shower pressure was poor as well. The ONLY good thing about our room was that I could see my car from our room...sitting in the street...with odd people walking around it....talking to themselves.. I could NOT have gotten out of that hotel soon enough. Or Canton for that matter. This hotel made me never want to come back to Canton... ever again. It was said to be a 3 star hotel. I'd be nice to give it 1.
Oh, one more thing. After I checked out, I saw 3 people sitting in the other room eating so I peaked around the corner and saw what looked like complimentary small continental breakfast items. A few boxes of cereal, a few muffins and a few apples. Right then a women walked up to me and said it would be $6.95 if I wanted to help myself. Now I've seen it all.. no thanks

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank gcwaz
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Recently stayed at the McKinley Grand Hotel for 3 nights and 4 full days. Some aspects of this stay were great, other aspects pretty bad. I'll start with the great.

I was there for a conference and the hotel was booked solid. I have tried to keep this in mind for this review and while I was there.
First off, we were greeted at the airport without delay and the driver even pulled my luggage off the carousel. That I really liked. It was kind of heavy.
The staff was very friendly. From the driver to the front desk, housekeeping, waitstaff in the restaurant. Not a single negative thing to say about the way I was spoken to or treated by any of the staff of this hotel. All very professional and yet also very friendly. Lots of smiles and offers to do more. For this reason alone, I would recommend this hotel and I would stay here again.
The accommodations were fine. I stayed in a room with two double beds. The bed was comfortable and the room was larger than some I've stayed in.
Something I tend to notice at hotels is mold/mildew smell. I was pleased to note that I never had any indication of mustiness or mold/mildew. The hotel appears to be well maintained and cleaned.
I ate several different things while staying here. The best was the cheddar broccoli soup. Absolutely the best I have ever eaten. I also had a chicken wrap. Good, but somewhat dry. I used hot sauce on it to make it tastier. Again, everything I ate was good, I don't really have any complaints about the food. The fact that there was actually a restaurant and a bar in the hotel is a plus all by itself.
Now to the negative and the reason I did not give 4 or 5 stars:
My biggest complaint with the hotel would have to be the lighting. It is terrible!! The light in the room was dim and the lighting in the bathroom was slightly better but the vanity was somewhat large and it was difficult leaning over it to get close enough to the mirror to see good for applying makeup. They really need to go through this hotel and upgrade the lighting. Adding a fridge to all the rooms would be nice also. I'm so glad my room was close to the ice machine. Next I would say that although they were very friendly, the waitstaff in the restaurant is slow. Too slow. If we had been on a strict time table I would have had to find somewhere else to eat. Finally, keeping in mind the fact the hotel was booked full, they didn't maintain enough towels. When housekeeping got to my room they always had to come back with towels because they never had enough to replace my couple of towels. Really not acceptable as we had the minimum amount of towels as it was and not to be able to use a clean towel before getting ready for dinner was a negative.
This hotel does have a gym and a pool. The pictures online looked great but when I went downstairs to check them out, I decided not to use them. Not welcoming at all. That is all I can really say about that.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank joan72761
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I made a reservation for the convention I attended back in July, but there was a mix up with it, and it got lost, THANKFULLY Coty at Front desk ( I hope I spelled that right) was able to get me into the last King room they had and it was PERFECT. I checked in on Thursday the 10th and was immediately impressed by the room. The ONLY complaint I had about the room was the fact that you could tell the housekeepers didn't pull out the shorter table to dust. I needed a lot of surface space for my foot, so i turned the table and the part that was under the other and there was a nice layer of dust. Not a big deal really :)
The entire staff was so accommodating to us, and bent over backwards to make it a pleasant stay.
I think it looks JUST as advertised, yeah it might need to be a little updated, but I think that only adds to its charm.
Karen at the bar is SO sweet and pleasant, and I remember her from last year as being so awesome. Kathleen from the kitchen had an author and I cracking up laughing Monday morning talking about coming back next year for the convention. "CALL THE HAZMAT TEAM!" -- Remember? LOL
I did feel horrible that I couldn't leave my housekeepers a cash tip, so I hope the bag of snacks I left more than made up for it. Thank you so much to the entire staff for making EC's convention want to come back over and over again for our family reunion. Your staff is just like family too! Welcome to the EC family McKinley Grand! Can't wait to see you next year!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I just got back from the McKinley Grand hotel where I attended a convention. Okay, like some of the reviews have said here, the hotel needs some updating. It is due for a renovation. But all of that was nothing because the staff was so fantastic. What it lacks in newness it makes up for in charm. The hotel staff bent over backwards for everyone there, I cannot remember when I have had such charming service. And the rooms were clean and well kept. I was very happy with my stay and if they hold the conference again at the McKinley again I will be thrilled.

Room Tip: I asked for a room facing the right side of the hotel (with a view of Canton downtown) and I couldn...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed here for three nights for a conference. Check-in staff were great and ladies on bar and in the restaurant were lovely but at the end of our stay we encountered the rudest man, Rocky. We were at the end of a five week trip around the states and I can safely say everywhere else we stayed the staff were great, this man had no customer service.
We booked the van to the airport. Arrived downstairs on time only to be grunted at by him then told we had no booking. He then found it on the wrong day (not out fault) but he didn't apologize nor did he offer to help us find alternative arrangements to get to the airport. I had to ask for a taxi number, call them myself and he never even bothered to look up from his desk.
It's a shame our trip ended this way. The place was clean but does need updating and the rest of the staff is great, just make sure you don't check out in the early morning when this man is on desk.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business