“HORRIBLE BUG PROBLEM, DIRTY, BACKED UP SHOWERS, SICK”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Circleville
Castle Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 5 Circleville B&B and Inns
USA
“HORRIBLE BUG PROBLEM, DIRTY, BACKED UP SHOWERS, SICK”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Absolutely horrendous visit hear. Naively booking without researching reviews like knuckleheads, we arrived and were in for such a dirty and terrible experience. We received a room with sick disgusting yellow stains underneath, a backed up shower with age old hair from previous people who've stayed there, 10 legged insects on the walls, and the list goes on. Along with pictures to prove it. We were asked by the owner if our other family member would give up her room to sleep on a DIRTY SICK AND DISGUSTING cot, AFTER SHE"D already paid for it ALL. The owner said it was because she had received notice that someone else wanted to attend the murder mystery, and she didn't want to lose out on the chance to get that money. Shameless and total lack of manners. Needless to say, we left immediately since we couldn't stay another night with the bugs. Felt VERY unsafe with the outside workers she (Jean, the owner) had lingering around. The only decent and respectable person in the whole establishment was Anita, the live in housekeeper. SHE should NOT be subjected to those living quarters either. Everything about this establishment violated codes from the loose wiring, lack of fire safety, carbon Monoxide detectors, and the list goes on. One room actually has a bathroom that has a little window in it which doesn't lock, and anyone from the outside hallway can push it and see you on the toilet or in the shower. This place was like a scene out of a bad movie, almost unreal. NEVER EVER go here.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank ocoups

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2011

I NEVER write reviews but I had to on this one.

My wife and i stayed this past weekend and literally stayed one night even though our reservations were for two (then we drove 4 hrs back home) because of how dirty the place was (if your wondering why we stayed even that night it was because a friend was staying there so we were more or less visiting him).

There are huge cracks in the ceiling and walls, the heart shaped hot tub was dusty, we cleaned the shower because we didn't think it was cleaned but to our amazement it was (you ever seen someone's tub that doesn't clean well at all, and its black from where they stand well that was our shower). Plus our shower was backing up which was really gross.

the wall next to the light switch in the bathroom looked like a 4 year old lived there.

The rugs in the bathroom were filthy and the carpet in the bedroom was disgusting. When I got out of the shower I stood on my dirty clothes and put on my dirty socks because I didn't want to step on the floor.

Oh and the chairs in our room looked like someone had some "adult fun" on them (im not joking)

We pretty much slept in our sweats and on the pillow that I brought.

No wonder they have a no refund policy they know people aren't coming back.

The live in inn keepers (who aren't the owners) were hospitable. they will cater to your dietary needs. Just wish there was more food.

• Stayed March 2011
3 Thank bnbtravlers
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at the Castle Inn Bed and Breakfast for a couple nights, just to get away from everything. Following are the Pros and Cons of this B&B:

Pros:
~Genuine Castle built in the last 1800s. While some may think the decorating was on the cheesy side, it worked for this location.
~Provided an ambiance that is difficult to find in regular hotels
~No bed bugs. We took the sheets and blankets off the bed as soon as we checked in to ensure there we no bed bugs. We are happy to report that we found nothing. By the way, there is a 'Bed Bug Registry' online you can check out before staying at a hotel or B&B.
~The Innkeepers, Anita and Larry, are extremely hospitable and accommodating. Anything you need, they will do everything they can to make it happen
~The food is awesome. Anita and Larry are great cooks! I highly recommend spending the $50 for a candlelight dinner for two......it was wonderful and well worth it!
~The majority of rooms have a two-person Jacuzzi tub, which is so nice and relaxing! It does take time to fill, so patience is required!
~All rooms have private baths; however, the round tower room does not have a shower (only a bathtub). I do not believe this is mentioned on their Web site, but be forewarned that if you prefer showers, do not book that room.

Cons:
~The prices are a little steep considering the accommodations and the location
~The owners need to put some money into renovations. We noticed peeling wallpaper on the walls; water spots on the ceiling; nicks on the crown molding; difficulty opening and locking doors...these are all things that could and should be repaired. While it is an old home, this sort of thing makes it appear worn, not historic.
~There is a train that runs nearby every few minutes, which means you get to hear train whistles all night long. By the second night, we were getting used to it, but it was annoying.
~There is mention of snacks and soda provided to guests. While this is true, it is not much. The two days we were there, we noticed a couple small bags of chips and a two-liter of pop....that was it. Fortunately, we brought our own drinks and snacks, which I would highly recommend.
~They do have a movie library, but from what we saw, the titles were rather old. We brought our own movies, which again, I would recommend.
~Heating and cooling are a challenge. During the warmer months, I suggest staying on the second floor. I think the third floor would get too warm.
~The old radiators in the rooms make some strange noises...clunking, 'sighing' sounds...it can startle you from time to time!
~There was quite a bit of dust on some of the furniture, as well as on the ceiling fan. It would behoove the owners to hire a cleaning service to come in once a week and take care of all the dusting. That is too big of a job for the innkeepers.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. My husband and I do not typically take week long vacations. Instead we take long weekends throughout the year and stay at really nice hotels (Hiltons, Westins, Conrads). We decided to start looking into B&Bs, and this was our first stay at B&B in a long time. While not everything was perfect, and it definitely differs from staying in a nice hotel and ordering room service, it was a pleasant change of pace. If you go in knowing the pros and cons and are ok with it, I think you would really enjoy your stay. Just bring some snacks and movies with you, and definitely purchase the $50 candlelight dinner.....you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Chops1971
Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2011

This was my first Bed and Breakfast, and it exceed my expectations by far. I was driving from Virginia to Columbus with my wife, who thought we were spending the night in Columbus. We arrived at the castle under the guise of taking pictures with the unique architecture, and Larry and Anita were in on it the whole time. They gave my wife, who was completely oblivious, a tour of the whole castle. The tour ended in our room, which Larry had sneaked our bags in through the back door. My wife was astonished! They nailed the surprise dead on! We arranged to stay on the third floor, but after taking the tour, we decided to change to the Princess Room. With the exception of the Honeymoon suite, the rooms on the third floor do not have any windows. The Princess Room, on the other hand, had a huge bay window area that lit up the room. It also had a huge bathroom. Anita lit a gas fireplace for us and helped set the ambiance.

One mistake that was made was quickly rectified...beyond our expectations...I paid a little extra for candles and chocolates, and word never made it to Anita and Larry, so it wasn't in the room when we got there. When I called Jean, the owner, she gave us a free candlelight dinner (she usually charges $50 for it), and after the dinner, gave us the chocolates and a keepsake rose in the room anyway! Then she discounted the price, so I didn't pay for the chocolates and candles anyway! This was outstanding customer service!

Anita and Larry were outstanding, too...always eager to help. Anita is an incredible cook for both breakfast and dinner. The food was as good as any I have ever had on a cruise ship. The room was great, and we decided to spend most of the day in the room. The parlor was also quaint, so we spent alot of time down there during the day, too.

The castle was pretty authentic for a castle. I have visited several UK castles and am studying late medieval religion, so I am very acquainted with castles and the ambiance they project. Obviously, this was not a castle meant for defense or for a village or anything, but the living quarters reminded me of the living quarters at castles in Stirling and Edinburgh. Someone above remarked that they were a bit hokey, but that is the decor that castles have.

I had high expectations for this place, and they blew those expectations out of the water. There is danger in overhyping anything, but I firmly believe that if you are looking for a bed and breakfast in the Hocking Hills or Columbus areas, this one should be at the top of your list. Additionally, you may be able to find some coupons through entertainment.com or other sites. Highly, highly, highly recommend this place!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank toddmarquis
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2010

Anita, the inn keeper, was great and very friendly. We heard about Larry, her husband who helped with the inn keeping, but never met him. The castle was nice from the outside but the inside needed work. The guest who stayed on the 3rd floor complained that they were miserable from the heat and our jacuzzi tub that we paid extra for did not work either night. The decor in the castle was a bit "hokey" (statues of horses in the hall way) and a lot of the castle was shut off and used for storage rooms. The food was good but we were afraid to take very much because there wouldn't have been enough to go around. Personally I think the owner needs to invest some money into the castle in order to make it more appealing. I was thinking about the New Year's Eve festivities but after seeing the castle I have changed my mind. Thank you Anita for your friendliness.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Seelig67
Hollsopple, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

My wife and I, along with another couple that we are friends with, traveled to the Columbus area and stayed at the Castle for a Friday and Saturday night. We had a wonderful time, the food was terrific, and the Inn Keepers (Anita & Larry) were absolutely marvelous! They started working there this past July and are going a great job! The owner (Jean) made us feel welcomed while speaking on the phone making the arrangements. The Murder Mystery we were part of was so much fun, we never did anything like this before, but now would do them again. The castle is unique and charming. It shows its age in some spots, but did not deflect from the stay. Cute little town to walk around. We would stay here again if we ever return to this area. Don’t be alarmed by previous reviews, it went great for us.
Steve & Belinda

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2010

Honeymoon, in a rustic castle. The staff was kind, thorough, and very considerate. The room was filled with candlelight, and rustic beauty, it was clean, and had much character. The new innkeepers took great care to greet us and to have our every wish tended to. It is a Castle that the Owner has passionately refurbished, is it perfect, no, is it filled with wonder and character of 1900 ... yes. It was a beautiful experience for my new husband and myself. I will treasure it always.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Circleville
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Circleville
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#2 of 4 in Circleville
Baymont Inn & Suites Columbus/rickenbacker
The Mitchell House Bed & Breakfast

Been to Castle Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!