“One of the country's best zoos”

Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
Ranked #12 of 177 things to do in Cleveland
More attraction details
Owner description: Don't miss this exciting metropolitan zoo best known for having the largest collection of primates in the United States and for its Rainforest exhibit, which features a thrilling simulated tropical rain storm.
Austin, Texas
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 180 helpful votes
“One of the country's best zoos”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I tend to visit zoos when I travel. The one in Cleveland is one of the best ones I've been to. It is spread out along a ravine in the metroparks and has a surprisingly varied topography. The animals are in well-proportioned outdoor enclosures and there are a lot of different animal species. They have a section for animals from Australia that is a big hit as well as a petting zoo for children.

I really enjoyed walking around (and you can do a lot of walking here) and checking out the exhibits. The Rainforest is a really cool building to check out if it's raining.

This is one attraction that would be perfect if you have a beautiful day in Cleveland.

1 Thank lakeflyer

• Korean first
Baraboo, Wisconsin
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Nothing more than average zoo.”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The zoo had all the basics. It was clean and the animals all looked healthy. Just very average all around. completely acceptable for an excursion BUTif you want a world class experience head over to the Pittsburgh or Columbus Zoos instead.

Visited April 2014
Lockport, New York
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Outstanding family experience”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Although it was extremely hot the day that we chose to go to the zoo, the animals were quite active. Even the larger animals were outside in their exhibits. The rain forest was amazing and the elephants.....amazing! There were so many for a zoo! Usually, you might only see two or maybe three. I think that there were five and one still inside it's stall! The baby giraffe was so darn cute. My son fed the momma giraffe and loved it! My favorite though were the chimpanzees. I could have watched them play for hours. Simply amazing.

Highly recommend taking the train up the hill to the gorilla, monkeys, etc. It was a long walk up, but then relaxing coming back down on the train. Train goes both up and down. Seriously consider taking both!

So many animals.....wolves, seals, rhino, camel, elephants, deer, lion, white tiger, gorilla, chimpanzees, turtles, various kinds of monkeys, octopus, sea horses, many types of fish, giraffes....just to name a few!

You will be in for a treat when you go to the Cleveland Zoo.

1 Thank SuzieQ6578
Finger Lakes Wine Country, New York
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Wonderful small, clean zoo with a variety of interesting animals”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

What a beautiful zoo! They've got the big animals--lions and tigers and bears--as well as wolves, dingos, elephants, giraffes, camels, and many more. The zoo is laid out in a few circular paths with plenty of seating and shade. We especially enjoyed the rainforest exhibit housed in a gorgeous dome. McDonalds and Pizza Hut offer fun food on site, but you can bring in your own. Lots of families had rolling coolers. I grew up with huge zoos--LA and San Diego. While those have every animal imaginable, the Cleveland Zoo is just as beautiful and entertaining.

2 Thank MarieIC
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Great price and good time held.”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The admission price was a shock to me!! The zoo close to home is more than double the price for one person, so that started the day off well. The ticket also gave us access to the Rainforest area. It was a nice day we choose to visit the Zoo, sunny and hot though not overly. The downside was a lot of the animals were enjoying sleeping in the sun, so a few habitats were not as full of life as I like to see, but I would sleep all day if I was allowed to as well.

There are a good variety of animals to see and the layout of the park is done fairly well so there is limited back tracking. The grounds are kept very clean and tidy and all of the staff we encountered were kind and helpful. The train ride in the Outback area was a neat idea, though it is very short. We did not use the tram for most of the day as we prefer the scenery when walking, however by the end of the day, catching the free tram back to the main hub was a welcome ride.

We were too tired by the end of the day to head to the Rainforest area, but if we are back in Cleveland again, we will certainly make another trip.

2 Thank smiche83