“Good Value Get-A-Way” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Frederick, Maryland
“Good Value Get-A-Way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed during Memorial Day weekend in May. The hotel itself is just odd the Interstate across from the Airport. No airport noise despite the location across from it. Hotel was close to downtown attractions, yet far enough away. Lobby was clean and very inviting. Would definitely stay at this HGI again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Rauzer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Southeast Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

On the whole, I was very pleased I chose and stayed at this property.

From the first impression at walk-in, the lobby was impeccably decorated to put you at ease, with warm colors, comfortable spaces, hanging linens, and even Glass lanterns (Very nice touch!)

The check in desk staff were outstanding, recognizing my status and name. They were top notch at every question I threw at them.

The room was very clean, the bed comfortable, and the bathroom in great condition (clean air vents, clean everything, just the way it should be) I would have voted for a stand up shower but they only had tub showers (O well). Since the water pressure was superb, I wasnt upset in the least.

The breakfast was good, and the wait staff very friendly and attentive. I loved the outside patio set up , altho they didnt use it in the morning.

The park near the hotel was fantastic and so convenient.

Now for the 1% irritation. The last day, my flight was leaving at 7pm, and I wanted to enjoy one last long run in the park near the hotel. Saturday, I had asked for a late check out for 4pm Sunday, but the friendly man at the front desk could only provide 2pm, which was good at the time for me. That Saturday night I ended up working very late and slept later as a result. I still planned on the long run, but when asking Margo at the front desk in a nice way if they could please just extend the check out to 4pm, I was shut down completely with an emphatic "NO" and that 1pm was the best they could do for me or they would HAVE to charge for an extra day. That was interesting since she was trying to push me out even earlier than the friendly staff the day before. I left the check out at 2pm and had to cut short my run and rush to shower and final pack before the housekeeper was pounding on the door at 2pm saying she was waiting on me as I was marked to check out at 2.

Fist of all, as a Diamond , I expect a little more customer service and consideration than a hard and fast "NO". Other Hilton properties are flexible, depending on their occupancy. The Housekeeper indicated that the weekend / Sunday occupancy was so low they were able to finally leave early for once. If the occupancy is low, then giving me a few more hours when I really needed it and leaving the room at worst out of service until the next day should be a no brainer.

Secondly, I hate to have that rushed feeling when checking out. While I understand the housekeeping staff wanting to finish before they left, this goes back to the first point, if the room could have been left uncleaned and empty until the next morning when Housekeeping was back as they didn't have to have the room, then I am happy and un-rushed. I was rushed as it stood and didn't like it.

Margo does not have a customer service ethic in dealing with customers. She seemed more interested in staying in the back room the two times I passed by the front desk, once having to be summoned out by another staff member who was cleaning the lobby. The second time as I was leaving she shouted out her "Thank you for your stay" as she was once again in the back room as I was passing the desk.

The bad taste in my mouth from the rush job checkout (although it was a late checkout, true) , when an accommodation exception should have been able to be made will pass. When you have a property that is 99% perfect, you have to ask yourself, do you care about making the last step to make a top tier Hilton guest happy or would you rather quote a rule since it's easier.

That's how I see the 1% irritation to an otherwise perfect stay. I agree the property deserves it's Tripadvisor 2014 award. Pay attention to these comments so you don't lose that ethic that led you to deserve it.

Room Tip: Facing the back of the property was nice
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank VisitedNewPlaces
HGICLEAP, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Airport, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We appreciate your candid feedback and do apologize for your disappointment. I realize how frustrating that experience was. We have addressed this with the team and appreciate your insight on where we missed the mark. Thank you for staying with us and I do hope to see you on your future trips to Cleveland. We appreciate your Diamond Hilton loyalty and hope to have the opportunity to make your next stay 100% great!
Springfield, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

This hotels had some good and some bad. The shuttle service is not good, waited over 30 mins. Call them as soon as you get off the plane to give them plenty of time to get you. The front desk stag were great and it is nice that they actually paid attention to my comments in my reservation and have me a room that I requested. The restaurant was good as was the bar. The room was ok but it was pretty old looking.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Nomolos
Cleveland, OH, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

All the Staff here was very helpful and friendly. Room was great... location is very convenient to major highways and airport. Have stayed in the past and will definitely stay in the future when I come to visit family.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank David L
Boston, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Hotel exceeded our expectations - very nicely furnished with a desk chair exactly like the very supportive one I have at home, good amount of floor space, down pillows and adjustable mattress. Some noise penetrated the room from the hallway and room next door, but was manageable. Room was very clean and furnishings looked like new. Would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Robin M
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Service and amenities were awesome however I walked in while the maid was cleaning my room and was disgusted by what I saw. I expected better from a Hilton, especially for the price I was paying. Needless to say I will never stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

1 Thank Timothy D
HGICLEAP, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Airport, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Timothy D,

I do apologize that we failed to meet your expectations during your stay. I do hope that I can speak with you directly to address the concerns that you have mentioned from your recent visit. I can be reached at 216-898-1898. I do hope that we are able to speak soon!

Hartford, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I am not as enamored as the other reviewers though I have only stayed one time. I had some issues with my room, an outlet didn't work, a light in the bathroom didn't work giving it a drab feel. Overall the room was clean and staff was nice but as a guest at many HGI's, I can say this is the worst breakfast I have had at the chain. Not a good thing when meeting clients for a quick bite!

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback in regards to the outlet and bathroom's light not working. I've worked with maintenance to fix the issue, however I apologize that it wasn't resolved sooner. We’re very sorry that our breakfast did not live up to your expectations. We are consistantly striving to exceed our guests expectations and are always open to your direct feedback and what you would like to see offered. Thank you again for your review and I invite you to stay with us the next time you return to the area.