“Very good, inspirational!”

International Women's Air & Space Museum
Ranked #72 of 177 things to do in Cleveland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The mission of the International Women's Air & Space Museum is to preserve the history of women in aviation and space and to document their continuing contributions today and in the future. We have artifacts for over 6,000 women in the aviation and aerospace fields. We are the only museum of our kind in the entire world because we represent women in all fields of aviation and aerospace, including but not limited to; pilots, mechanics, mission controllers, and astronauts. We provide educational experiences to school children and scout groups with private tours and hands on learning. We also provide private tours and boxed lunch programs for adults. We aren't just a quiet museum in the airport, as we host numerous events and fundraisers throughout the year including; Dinner with a Slice of History, Family Day, Rocket Day and Corks in the Concourse. Visit our website or give us a call for more information regarding the exhibits, tours, events, or general information. Exhibits: Open 7 days a week, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. Office/Gift Shop: Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Very good, inspirational!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

If you are ever in Cleveland, you HAVE to check this place out! It's right down the street from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (which I didn't visit because per my own rules set forth in the first few entries, I'd already visited there in 2006 or 2007 with some friends), the Cleveland Science Center, and the Browns' football stadium. That whole stretch of lake front touristy stuff could take your entire day up easily, but make sure you keep trodding down along the road to the Burke Lakefront Airport, that is the host building to this wonderful collection.

I was confused at first, because there is no clear marked "entrance" to the museum (it literally takes up the lobby/waiting area of most of the airport) so it was difficult to learn where to start. I eventually just picked an end and worked my way down, taking notes and pictures as I went. Of course you have your "celeb" aviatrixes like Bessie Coleman and Amelia Earhart who are among the more famous of their peers, but there was a lot of detailed information about the personal lives and accomplishments of not-as-well known women such as Amy Johnson and the Mercury Women. I loved that next to the Quimby flight suit (yes, they re-created it using the above picture as a guide) was the launch/re-entry suite worn by Wendy Lawrence. It sort of juxtaposed the past with the present to show how far women in flight have come.

(You can read the rest of my review on my travel blog: fiftystates5years.blogspot.com)

Visited June 2013
3 Thank 50states5years

Cleveland, Ohio, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Let's hear it for Women !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

This museum is very underrated. It's free, and in the concourse at Burke Lakefront Airport. The concourse has many amazing artifacts from notable women aviators in by-gone days. It even has a wedding dress in the lobby. There's a lot of history and information available, and you'll never know who you may run into while you're there.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Debbie L
Cleveland
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Burke Lake Airport”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

Small but very informative musuem about women in flight..Recommend for all to come out to see...I live near this so its a hop and skip for me to get to..but those coming to visit suggest to put this on your list and its FREE

2 Thank Aretha W
Berea, Ohio
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2012

Enjoyed hearing the history of women in air and space travel. Learned a lot I didn't know before. Interesting displays and the docents are knowledgable with interesting stories. Hands on displays are great.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Denise F
Cleveland, Ohio
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“A unique look at an overlooked aspect of aviation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

Well done exhibits and a very good staff make this museum-in-the-airport a must-see destination when visiting Cleveland's lakefront.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank PaulFarace

Been to International Women's Air & Space Museum? Share your experiences!