“A tad above average”

Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed 30 April 2012

This popular place gets a lot of good reviews...I just can't second them for my own experience...They do seem to try to make it an experience...for us, ok, but not great. High energy/noise level...more so from the hyped-up waiters than from excited diners. Service was just ok...seated promptly at our reservation time, but with no wine menu...maybe we looked too baptist..but had to get up and go ask for the wine menu. Decent house salad..mine came with a half slice of tomato too. Come on, for a three-figure meal, you gotta serve at least the whole slice of tomato. But the house dressing is excellent. Salad served before our appetizer...we would have preferred it the other way. Fried Calamari was good, as well as our entrees of veal and the fish special...Tiramisu was very good as well. But overall, nothing really knocks your socks off here while, for the prices, you would expect more. But it is an experience, and the Spanish/Portuguese menu is different. Lots of folks use it for special occasions. For me a little better than average, but to say very good is a bit of a stretch for my experience.

Reviewed 26 April 2012

We had an excellent dinner there. Staff was very friendly, and the wait not too long.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

Foodiez, please don't judge Cleveland dining by this restaurant. There are so many other better places just in downtown, not to mention in the surrounding areas. It's been years since we've dined here, because we were so unimpressed with the food before. The service was a little too obsessive too, with waiters hovering annoyingly over us. I have to agree with many of the negative opinions in the Terrible, Poor and Average reviews up to this point, especially regarding service. But I will say we enjoyed our recent meal there.

We arrived early before the Rock Hall Induction event, and it wasn't too busy, so service was relatively relaxed. As it got later, it became packed, and service seemed almost frantic. They must not be used to being so busy. Our friendly server was thorough, but with his heavy accent, he did speak a little too fast for us to catch all the details, and he mentioned no prices for the specials. With such a long list of special, it would have been helpful to have them in writing. Since they got so busy, servers didn't have time to hover. The young bus persons either didn't understand English well, or they were too inexperienced to understand our requests to box our leftovers, because the one who took our plates piled them on top of each other at first. We had to stop him and re-explain the normal concept of boxing. They were also non-verbal and didn't smile. Our server also didn't know how to properly pour a beer, leaving a huge head of foam in the glass. And we didn't want it poured anyway; he just grabbed it on his way to another table and poured it to get the bottle off the table.

The complimentary bread was fresh, but nothing special. The dinner salad was the same. I thought about trying the paella, which I loved everywhere I had it in southern Spain, but I was disappointed by Mallorca's bland version the last time we were there, so I wasn't sure I should have it again. The entree specials, however, were quite good. We selected two specials: a seafood platter of shellfish and the goat (might as well try something you won't make at home!). I'd had roasted goat once before and liked it, and since it's hard to find, I went for it. It was really tasty, in a rich tomato-y sauce. It came in a huge portion, enough for two, and most of it was tender. The seafood was really good: perfectly cooked, with great texture, and wonderfully flavorful. The regular side of flavored rice for the table was plentiful and a welcome addition. The fried potato chips were good, but needed salt for flavor. We were too full for dessert. The costs were quite reasonable, we thought.

So, though it won't be on our favorites list, we were pleased with the experience.

2  Thank bsfog
Reviewed 16 April 2012

This has got to be the best Portuguese/Spanish resturant we have been too.

Um muito grande agradece-o a/un muy grande gracias a Jose Barbosa & Enrique Munoz :)

Our meals were awesome and the atmosphere was so fun.
Would forsure visit this place upon returning to Cleveland.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

We've been to Mallorca several times and have always been met with excellent food and good service. There are a lot of choices on the menu and something for everyone. You are not rushed through your meal and can take time to enjoy it. The waiters are all very attentive. Dining is family style -- you receive your main dish but the potato and vegetable sides are served family style. The waiters do put some on your plate for you if you want it. The wine list is extensive, which we like a lot. I definitely recommend this place for a fun night out!

1  Thank keg198