“Living on their reputation”
Review of Johnny's Bar

Johnny's Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Johnny's Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #114 of 1,899 Restaurants in Cleveland
Price range: US$41 - US$80
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Johnny's has slipped a couple of notches in my opinion. Long a Cleveland landmark, Johnny's does not seem to be making the effort that one would expect at this price level. During two separate visits, several months apart, we experienced similar issues. The most glaring was the service or lack of it. Two hours and 45 minutes for a dinner of one cocktail and no desserts is too long. One half hour in between every course. As with another reviewer on this site, we experienced overcooked, mushy pasta on both occasions. I have the feeling that all the issues are kitchen related, not the service staff. In the great Cleveland restaurant scene, there are numerous other establishments more deserving of your hard earned money.

2  Thank Cliff B

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We have dined here numerous times over the years. The food is excellent. If you like veal, there are numerous preparations.....great pasta, simple and delicious and wonderful stuffed calamari that is not the usual fried dish. Their patio is a lovely spot in the summer.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I used to be a regular at Johnny's Bar on Fulton Rd when work took me to Cleveland. Retiring several years ago I began to realize that I would compare dining out to Johnny's so we decided on a road trip (2 hrs each way)last Friday and boy was it worth it. Our group of 4 started with a nice bottle of Ripasso and shared two appetizers ( duck breast with cherry and walnut sauce and the veal stuffed banana peppers. Both were everything that I remembered and then some. Our entrees included tuna steaks, braised veal, shrimp and veal fettuccini and the steak au Pauve (please excuse the spelling). We were all delighted with our selection and we each shared a little with everyone. The house specialty for dessert is the bananas foster which I would recommend if you have any room after your entrée. Basic pasta entrees start around $18 with most entrees in the $35 range so this is not the place to go with the kids or if you are watching your pennies. Even at these prices I say Johnny's is worth every cent.

1  Thank donphillipsiree
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Perhaps diners go for the nostalgia of an old neighborhood restaurant that had been a favorite for years.
Atmosphere is quirky. Starched linens and the animal print carpeting with the unusual murals in the side room are still there.
Unfortunately, the food quality is not. I was looking forward to
homemade pappardelle. I was served an overcooked plate of stuck together pasta with a very non desrcript tomato base bolognese sauce. Worth 24.95? absolutely not. The clam pasta was very salty with nice size shrimp. The demi glace on the veal dish was also salty and probably out of a food distributor foil packet. Worth $35.95-absolutely not. The
drinks were VERY pricey and we were charged $2.95 EACH for a sprinkling of blue cheese on the lettuce only salad.
This was the second time we were at Johnny's in the last 6 mo and the second time we were disappointed. Last time I had a gristle filet and very chewy medallions of veal. We had decided to try it again and order Italian at what had been a good Italian restaurant. Very disappointed again. We will not return.

2  Thank j25aj
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My wife and I visited Johnny's on Fulton on 5/3/2014. We were seated in the back room, next to the doorway. The tables are very close together, and I opted to not sit next to the doorway. Upon arriving at our table, our server silently moved the silverware across the table to where I chose to sit, not a hint of a smile or welcoming attitude. I ordered a Manhattan after learning that there is no cocktail menu, but that they can make just about anything that doesn't require a blender. I appreciate that approach, but the drink was watery and small. The bread was bland and the butter was hard. My Caesar salad was quite good, nicely dressed and balanced, but the croutons were a bit stale. My wife's bacon-wrapped scallops were excellent, and it's not easy to have perfectly cooked scallops with crispy bacon. Her veal with marsala sauce was a major hit, extremely tender with popping flavors. My fettuccine with rabbit sausage and roasted red peppers was a major disappointment. The problem was the texture of the pasta. It was cooked beyond tender to the point of baby food, and parts of it were stuck together like a cake. The sauce was fine, but for an Italian place of such distinction to serve pasta like that is inexcusable. I know that I really should have said something, but I didn't want to engage our server in conversation. Towards the end of the meal, he actually said to my wife, "Are you still working on that?" With so many other great places in the area, it's unlikely that we will return.

2  Thank icrfcruk