“Can't wait to stay here again”

Aloft Cleveland Downtown
Ranked #28 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Sleek and modern hotel, from lobby to rooms. VERY friendly and competent staff, including valet. Great location in the city, and right across the street from an RTA stop. Short walk to many places, including restaurants, clubs, and the casino (admittedly not fun in the cold). If you're a light sleeper, bring ear plugs, as the hotel is near train lines and the river (boat traffic). Also, don't be surprised if you feel your room shaking a bit when trains go by- a little unnerving the first time until you figure out what it is. And don't forget to flash your AAA card and get 10% off!

Room Tip: Ask for a river-side room- great view night and day!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Erin K

Reviewed 21 December 2013

You love the Aloft or you hate it. The amenities that make an Aloft an Aloft are great to some and perhaps annoying to others. Here are a few. The interior spaces look like they were furnished entirely out of the IKEA catalog. Guest room interiors are minimalist – most surfaces are formica; floors are a mix of ceramic tile or flat mats that serve as carpeting; the built-in fixtures (sink, faucets, toilet, lamps, etc.) are an unadorned, stark design. There is a coffee maker in the guest rooms, but the coffee is very small tea-bag sized coffee packets (exactly like the ones in Sheraton Four Points guest rooms).

This Aloft, in downtown Cleveland, is in a great location – close if not within walking distance of most downtown tourist destinations. The Cleveland rail transit is literally outside the front door of the hotel. Parking is either valet or self-park, and it could not be more convenient. Depending on the location of your room, the views of the surrounding “flats” on the Cuyahoga River are interesting (request a room with a river view). The “flats” is a former industrial shipping area that has been revitalized as a night-life area.

The gym in the hotel is very basic, and on the small side (not much more than a few treadmills, a couple steppers, and a set of dumb bells). There is a world-class commercial gym in the same building that offers a $15 day pass. This commercial gym alone is worth staying at this Aloft during long-term stays. Amazingly, it has a full complement of free weights. There is also space for Pilates (I think) and Spin classes. And, imagine every machine you can, and you’ll find 10 or 12 there.

Inside, the Aloft offers its typical selection of snacks and quick meals for sale. There is a continental breakfast available as well, and in the morning you can order hot items such as eggs in various configurations.

The corner room I booked had a view of the river on one side, and a view of the freeway bridge out the other. Though large, the room was very stark. There was no separate chair in the room in which to sit and relax or read – a big drawback in my book. The only chair was the desk chair, which was entirely fine. There was a long bench along one wall, and after you put your suitcase and backpack there, you have nowhere to sit other than the desk chair. A flat-screen television was mounted on the wall at the foot of the bed.

The bathroom was well-equipped, but so stark and minimalist, I felt like I was showering and getting dressed in an RV. One HUGE drawback was the tile floor. It had a layer of soap scum from a recent mopping. It was sticky and I left foot prints in the soap scum every time I walked in. The bed has GREAT reading lights, one on each side, and there are plenty of convenient electrical outlets on either side of the bed – great for using my computer while lying in bed. The built-in desk along the window facing the river had all the requisite connections, and the desk lamp was great. It was a great workspace for getting office work done while working in my room.

Finally, the lobby is enormous, with plenty of places to sit and read, work on an iPad or laptop, and order a drink. There is a pool table in the lobby which was a nice touch. And, the music being played is not obtrusive.

A very welcome attribute was the staff. Without exception, everyone I encountered was very pleasant, very helpful, and seemed genuinely interested in helping me enjoy my time at this Aloft.

In summary, if you like the Alofts where you’ve stayed elsewhere, this one in Cleveland will be entirely acceptable to you. If you don’t like the Alofts elsewhere, this one isn’t going to change your opinion. As a place to stay for a few days on business, it is entirely fine. If you’re in Cleveland as a long-term tourist and you’ll be out most of the time, it’s fine. If you are intending to spend a lot of time in the hotel, I would suggest that this is not the place for you to stay. The amenities that would make a hotel itself a tourist destination are simply not in the Aloft’s playbook.

Room Tip: The best views are from rooms facing the river (out the front of the building). If you want quiet...
4  Thank Cornheiser
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel for a trip to Cleveland to see the Bears play the Browns. The location is perfect for football, a short drive, walk or light rail trip.
The valet service was polite and professional.
Walking into the lobby was impressive. It was sleek and modern, geared to young, hip travelers. As a couple in our late 20s/early 30s, we felt that it suited our tastes and our age group.
The staff was enthusiastic and polite. The lady at the front desk seemed genuinely happy. Then again, everyone we encountered in Cleveland was polite so it could just be a very friendly city.
Our room overlooked the river and the light rail, but the noise did not bother us. Earplugs were provided, but we didn't need them. The bed was comfortable and clean with really great throw pillows. The blinds were blackout blinds so no light got in when we were ready for bed.
The shower was amazing. Both hubs and I took long hot showers to warm up after the game. Plenty of hot water. We really enjoyed the shampoo and soap dispensers in the shower. Much more economical and environmentally friendly than individual bottles. Nice touch!
We walked to the warehouse district for dinner. We could have walked just about anywhere we wanted to from the location but it was just too cold.
We had an amazing time at the Wxyz bar, meeting a lot of great people. The bartender was awesome...sorry forgot her name but she worked the Sunday of Dec 15. Great service and super nice to the customers.
This is a fun hotel, designed for the young on the go traveler. Very chic design, very modern.
My only complaint....very minor...the toilet paper could be less a little more plushy. It was thin and cheap and a bit sandpaperish. The TP needs an upgrade.
Next time we are in Cleveland we will return!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed two nights on business. I stay in a lot of Starwood properties (I'll be platinum on my next stay) usually Sheraton, Four Points or Westin, but this was my first experience with Aloft.

The rate was excellent, and the entire property could be best described as "hip". Extremely efficient use of the space.

The restaurants located on or near the property were excellent, and although I didn't venture out (it was cold and snowy while I was there), it looked like there was a lot of nice places within walking distance.

My room had a nice view of the waterway, and although there was some noise from trains, I wasn't bothered at all.

The breakfast area was also very nice. Made to order breakfast sandwiches were quite good. Other items available were well thought out. They even had microwaveable frozen meals for sale.

As a frequent traveler, I believe the Aloft concept is well thought out. My experience at this hotel confirmed two things: 1. I will return here next time I am in the area. 2. I will seek out other Aloft properties when travelling to other cities.

Well done.

Room Tip: The higher floors are reputedly quieter, with less noise from the trains.
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We stayed here as we were going to concert downtown. This was a great location and is easy to get any where downtown. The rooms are nice and clean. I would stay here again in a minute if I need a room downtown. I can not comment on the anything but the room since we did not spend much time at the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We had 6 VIP's come to town and I put them up in the aloft hotel in downtown Cleveland. Running events, there were a lot of last minute things from my end and the staff could not have handled everything better. Fantastic attitude and beautiful space. They receive my highest rating!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This was my first stay at Aloft and I dug it, from the clean, modern feel to the smart use of all the available space in the room. Yes, there is noise from the nearby train and the Port of Cleveland, but they leave ear plugs on the nightstand. I didn't use them and slept just fine but lighter sleepers may take issue. In-room dining is provided by Lago restaurant and was above and beyond your typical room service fare. The staff was polite, but they could have been more hospitable (Hospitality rule #1: No personal cell phone use behind the front desk, ladies!).

1  Thank ChiHoosier