“FANTASTIC...SUPERB SERVICE..!!!”

Cleveland Marriott Downtown at Key Center
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 July 2014

A quick weekend in Cleveland......Hotel is perfect location.....My friend and I arrived a little early, about 1PM and were lucky our room was ready. Front desk very informative of hotel and happy to see us. Room was exactly what we asked for, what a view.! Room was spotless.! All in wonderful condition.! Rested a few minutes and unpacked. Headed out to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.....went to front door, valet called a taxi over and we were gone. Spent 4 hours out came back and were so tired decided to just eat at Jake's Lounge in the hotel....just wonderful. Had a very restful, comfortable, quiet, sleep. TV was great.! We put our breakfast order on our door before we went to sleep and exactly on time it arrived.!!! And it was soooo yummy.! We went down about 11:30 to check out, within 3 minutes they brought our car and we were gone. We will certainly return to this beautiful, relaxing hotel and tour more of Cleveland. Oh and the soaps and shampoos are absolutely wonderful quality!!! I loved their fragrance.....you know a touch of lavender fragrance in the sheets would make a sleep even better.!! Thank you for a wonderful, relaxing, worry free weekend.!

Room Tip: 25th floor, lake view...BEAUTIFUL..!!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank SusM_13

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We arrived at the Cleveland Marriott late at night after a long, traffic-filled drive from NJ, and the reception at the hotel could not have been nicer. We were in Cleveland for a long weekend to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and we certainly picked the right hotel. We booked the Rock and Roll Package, which was a BARGAIN -- it included 2 tickets to the Rock Hall, 2 breakfasts, and free valet parking -- nearly a $100 value! The staff is friendly and accommodating and the room was clean and spacious. The air conditioning worked perfectly and was very quiet. The only con...we prefer queen beds instead of doubles. (As we travel with our two kids, we can't choose the king bed room option so had to make do with the double beds.) We also travel with an inflatable mattress so the kids don't have to share a bed, and I was struck by how even our personal mattress was made up perfectly with an attention to detail that I didn't expect. Nicely done, Cleveland Marriott staff!! The breakfast buffet downstairs at David's had something for everyone, and we were all happy with breakfast. For dinner we ventured out and ate a great steak dinner at Cleveland Chop, around the corner. You can also walk to East 4th Street where there was a pedestrian zone with restaurants, bars, and music. The hotel is conveniently located Downtown, and everything was quite walkable (including the Rock Hall, Science Center, Browns stadium, etc). This was a really nice trip, and I would recommend this Marriott to anyone looking to visit Cleveland.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank JaniceNJ66
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We've stayed at this hotel three times over the years. The staff is helpful and friendly. It's close to downtown attractions and walking distance to Lola's--a great restaurant. Nice bar, and great bar staff.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2014

A group of my friends and Stark County LGBT leaders (1 Transgender F-M, and 2 openly gay guys) and I stayed at the Marriott for Cleveland Pride this past weekend, Saturday Night. The hotel is absolutely beautiful, and the rooms were clean and products at restaurants and shops were fresh. Property A+. What ruined it, was the horrible customer service. We were constantly glared at by staff (especially when in our pride tee shirts) and we were talked to as If we were sitting in high school study hall (especially check-in and Valet). It took me making a comment in front of the valet attendants to get them to stop glaring at us. Judging by how the staff communicated to other guests around us compared to us... I'm going to yield at the assumption of the staff having an issue with the LGBT clientele. We did not feel welcomed, and their business practice of treating all types of clientele is pitiful. Even more sad that I spent nearly $200 a night and an additional $20 for valet service that was slow and rude.

We are community leaders and people of business. We acted with professionalism and dignity... we expected to get the appropriate treatment. Since that wasn't the case, I will be staying with another Hotel when I travel to Cleveland in the next few weeks and there on. We will not recommend this establishment to other LGBT leaders in NE Ohio, let alone friends, family, nor co-workers.

On another note: Rick at the Breakfast restaurant was VERY nice and attentive. Made me feel like a friend! The other restaurant staff, and the ladies at the Valet Concierge were very accommodating also. Good leaders to learn good customer service from...

Room Tip: Have a lot of patience for ignorance before you consider reserving a room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank MPAULP1992
ClevelandMarriottKey, General Manager at Cleveland Marriott Downtown at Key Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay. I express my deepest apologies to you for the unpleasant experience you had with us. We will use your comments to train the team and we will share this with the third party operator of the Valet Company. Thank you for the great comments regarding the property and about Rick. I will share your comments with Rick and throughout the team to celebrate our success. I appreciate your feedback and hope to have you back as our guest in the future.
Best Regards,
Bob M

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I stayed here while attending a conference at the Cleveland Convention Center. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, The room was spacious and clean, and as other reviewers noted, the bed was exceptionally comfortable. I requested, and received, a room with an excellent view of Lake Erie. There was a small safe that would accommodate a laptop computer, small refrigerator, and complimentary in-room coffee/tea. I would highly recommend upgrading to the concierge level if possible as the lounge offered a welcome respite. The location was perfect because it was directly across the street from the convention center; attendees staying at other nearby hotels paid the same, or even higher rates, and had to walk a couple of blocks in the heat/wind/rain to get to their hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the lake and for access to the concierge lounge.
1  Thank 00C
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Service with Heart
I stayed at Marriot because I was attending a conference of about 300 attendees.

Hotel Air:
My pet peeve about many hotels is that they built them with windows that don’t open.
When they build a hotel with NOTHING that opens, there is have no fresh air and no way to get fresh air.
That eventually gives the hotel a stench that I find awful and I have to put a mask over my nose in order to sleep in the room. That terrible smell gets worse as the hotel ages because there is no air circulation. People were getting ill and did not realize that it is because of the air.

The Marriott stench was not as bad as the Caribe Royal in Orlando. The Caribe Royal was truly the worst air I have ever experienced. But the Marriot had a terrible smell that is even worse in the corridors of the 7th floor I stayed on than it was in the room.

It did help that they put a fan in my room on my request.
Everything I had requested was in the room before I was. They really heard me. (Unlike the Caribe Royale staff who could not care less.)

Service from the heart:
The service at this hotel was so amazing that it almost made the bad air bearable. Special thanks to Ivan and to China who helped me assure that my food was refrigerated from the first night I was there. I have special food needs and so have to bring my own food. Ivan spent hours getting a working fridge put in my room. China got my food to a refrigerator until something could be put in the room. It’s not just the service. It’s the warm, willing attitude with which it is done.

Every service person in this hotel warmed the heart with the sincerity with which they serve, from the person who helped me with my bags to the people at the desk.
They really work at pleasing the guests.

Size of the lecture rooms:
The ballroom was big enough for everyone. But another issue with this hotel is that the conference rooms are too small and could not fit everyone who wanted to attend individual sessions. So, unless you got to the session very early, you couldn't get in.
There was also the problem of no breathable air in the conference rooms.

Room Tip: I recommend this hotel for the great service. But if you have health issues try to bring something t...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
ClevelandMarriottKey, General Manager at Cleveland Marriott Downtown at Key Center, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you for the positive guest comments. I will be sure to share your comments with Ivan and China and the rest of the team to celebrate our success. I apologize that the windows are unable to open but was happy to hear the fan helped the air circulate in your room. I hope that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to having you back as our guest in the future.
Best Regards,
Bob M

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I am on the committee for a midwest conference that moves around year to year. We held our 2014 conference in this hotel. From the moment I got to the hotel, to the moment I left, I felt comfortable and taken care of. My room was very comfy and the bed EXTRA comfy (like resort comfy). My room was clean, plenty of space and I loved having a mini fridge! As a Diabetic, this is very handy. Brunch at David's was delicious with lots of option and the bar had great late night snack food.

Beyond staying at the hotel, I took a walk to the top of the mall (right out front) and got to see a gorgeous sunset over the lake and the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Everything is close, from restaurants and museums to the casino, to shopping. You can do it all within a 10 minute walk or short drive.

From a Conference organizing perspective, Cal was our Event Manager and we felt like the red carpet had been rolled out for us. From the very first walk through all the way through until the moment we left venue. We felt special. We had everything we needed. We could always find someone to help us when we needed it. Best of all the event team really, truly seemed to care about the success of our conference. We are grateful and I would definitely recommend this venue for any Cleveland event. Top notch event services!

2  Thank Grizzybel