“Beautiful property”

Renaissance Cleveland Hotel
Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My client booked me in to this property for one night. I didn't even know it was a marriott until I checked in. I'm a frequent guest with Marriott so it was a welcome plus.

The good: The property in convenioently located downtown, with lots to do nearby (even though I didn't get to take advantage of it). It is a beautiful historic property, espeically the lobby areas, and I love historic properties. Room was decent size and nice. Bed was very comfortable. Nice amenities. Had dinner in the lobby bar and it was very good. The people, as with all Marriott properties, were great.

The bad: The temperature in the room was erratic. Either it was hot or cold. I suspect with an old HVAC system. I about ruined a shirt with the iron that was in the room, which was critical as I was there for an interview. When turned flat all the water ran out. I called for anotehr one and it was okay but not great. The ironing board needed to be replaced as well. Probably not critical for most, but when you need to look great, it makes a difference.

Still small problems. I would gladly stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Al E E
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

AI, thank you for writing your review. We love feedback from our guests such as your information on the iron. If you are interested, our general manager would very much enjoy hearing the details of your room number and the iron situation so that we can assure future guests do not encounter the same issue. Should you be interested in sharing additional information, please email her at rencleveland@renaissancehotels.com. Thank you again for staying and for your review. Safe travels!

There are newer reviews for Renaissance Cleveland Hotel

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Our experience here was very good to excellent. Room was perfect and our bath was fine. Some of the fixtures could be considered outdated I guess, but I was not disappointed at all. I thought the location was excellent with access to shopping, restaurants, bars, movies and the sporting venues. The staff were excellent as well. If I return to Cleveland I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank julieb312

Julie, thank you for your fantastic review! We appreciate you staying and very much look forward to your return visit. Thanks again.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

The public areas are rich, spacious, and luxurious, and the service was great at registration and concierge services. Traditional decor in the accommodations, but the bathroom could definitely use a facelift. Keep in mind that the same, convenient downtown location also comes with downtown traffic noise - at all hours. The street cleaners late at night sounded as though the vacuum was right inside my room - and I was on the 12th floor!
There are only a few machines in the fitness center. The pool is quite small and not available for an early-morning or evening swim.
This hotel is a nice 10-minute walk to the convention center and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, where you'll pass by beautiful churches and monuments typical of "northern" downtown areas.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank J S
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

JS, thank you for staying and for your review. We appreciate your feedback on our guest bathrooms as we continue to improve moving forward. Our 1918 historic property is always receiving renovations throughout the property as we continue to preserve and protect the original decor and grandeur. We'll hope to see you again soon. Safe travels.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I remember this hotel from a long time ago as the Stouffer, before they changed affiliation in the 90s. It must have been renovated at that time, and it appears the owners/operators haven't put much money into updating it at all. The room I had faced the public square and was quite spacious, despite the reports of some rooms being on the smallish side. The service was good, the food at the restaurant (Sans Souci) was good, but the lobby bartenders were on the rude side. After staying for just a few nights, it became apparent that this hotel trades on past (faded) glory and needs a major revamp if it wants to remain what it tries so hard to be.

Room Tip: Try for the 12th & 14th floor rooms with concierge access. And make sure your windows close com...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank DGfromDallas

DG, thank you very much for staying and for taking the time to write your review. We wanted to let you know that our guest rooms were completely renovated in 2012. This did not, however, include the guest baths and perhaps that is where your comment was directed. Either way, we appreciate the feedback and hope that you will stay with us again on future visits to downtown Cleveland.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

I stayed here for two nights. The lobby and lobby bar are beautiful - soaring ceilings, lots of marble. Staff was friendly. The room was very big, but the HVAC system is ancient. It's still the kind with the knob in the unit by the window. My knob was stuck in one position. I ended up turning it off because the room was already fairly warm. Bathroom was big but strangely laid out. The toilet is in the corner at an angle. The towel rack is 7-8 feet from the sink - there is plenty of room to put a towel bar by the sink - I wish they did that. Bed is very comfortable. I got to the hotel in mid-afternoon and hadn't had lunch. I wanted to eat a light snack but didn't want to order room service nor leave the hotel because I had a lot of work to do. I walked to the bar and asked if there was a little snack shop on the property where I could buy a bag of chips or something. The bartender was very nice and gave me chips that they serve at the bar and wouldn't accept any payment nor tip! That kind of customer service made my day!

1  Thank Joan C
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Joan, thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. First and foremost, we appreciate your kind words about our staff an have passed all of this on to our general manager and food & beverage team. We do want to apologize for the difficulties you experienced regarding our HVAC system. As you probably know, our beautiful historic property is nearing 100 years old and therefore certain quirks do exist with the system, regardless of upgrades. Regarding your bath, we also appreciate the feedback. Should you be interested in providing us your guest room number, we would be happy to forward this feedback to our engineering team. Each of our 441 guest rooms is unique in layout so we are always looking for ways to make improvements. Should you be interested in providing more information, please email rencleveland@renaissancehotels.com. Once again, we appreciate you staying and hope to see you again very soon. Safe travels.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

This is a lovely property, but it is old. It gets a bit chilly in the rooms, and it was only late October when I stayed. The service was friendly, the rooms were clean and the club lounge was very convenient. There is a nice pool and fitness center too, and the hotel is attached to a mall and movie theater all accessible without going outside. There is a wonderful bar and seating area in the main lobby, a nice place for drinks and even doing business. If you mind noise, the rooms fronting public square are not soundproof, but I truly enjoyed the talented saxophone player outside my window. If you are willing to go with the flow, this is a very nice place to stay.

Room Tip: The rooms fronting public square are really nice, but can get a little noisy in the evening.
2  Thank Katerina V

Katerina, thank you for visiting. We very much appreciate you taking the time to write your review and have passed your feedback to our general manager. We hope that your trip was a success and that you will visit again soon. Thanks again.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

I spent 4 late-October days in Cleveland for a conference, with Renaissance as the conference hotel.

I love old hotels: My wedding night was spent at the old Bellevue-Stratford in Philly; the Hotel du Pont in Wilmington was our "go-to" getaway for years (no longer), and our favorite D.C. hotel is The Willard.

I really want to love the Renaissance - the public areas retain elements of grandeur, the rooms are large and comfortable, the lobby bar is a nice place to hang out, and the staff were uniformly warm and welcoming.

Old hotels are supposed be like movie sets, or grown-up versions of "make-believe" - feeling your heart jump as you watch your jeans-clad spouse transformed into a 40's matinee idol by merely sharing a table with you in a grand hotel's bar. With the Renaissance, the economic straits surrounding the hotel (the empty streets, the homeless person using a lobby bathroom as their shower) intrude into the fantasy I so much want it to be.

They do try hard - and I hope they succeed. If you're in Cleveland, consider the Renaissance as your base. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and some nice restaurants (see my reviews of XO and Blue Point Grille) are easy walks. It's just hard to close your eyes to what's around.

Room Tip: If you're flying to Cleveland, the Renaissance is a $2.65 train ride from the airport. The train...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Gjmalcyon, we love your romantic review of our beautiful property! How could we not appreciate a review where our 100 year old establishment is referenced as a dowager? We appreciate your support and your kind words. One item that does give us pause is the situation you note regarding a possible homeless gentleman. Our security team works diligently to assure the safety and security of the hotel. Our general manager would love to speak with you personally about this situation and should you be interested, you may email her at rencleveland@renaissancehotels.com. Once again, we appreciate you visiting and we're excited to hear about your positive experiences at Blue Point Grille!