“Free Stay Comped by Casino”

Renaissance Cleveland Hotel
Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Best place to stay if you are going to gamble at the Casino and leave to go to your room late. The distance from the inside side door to the door of the Hotel is just straight across the front of the mall, and you do not have to walk thru it late at night, which I do not recommend unless you ask Casino Security to go with you!!! A little shady like in the Mall area when all the business are closed. Are parking was comped by the Casino, which is $25 per day, but you are right downtown. To get to the Lobby you do have to climb a couple sets of stairs, but there is an elevator on the side to use if you need it. The room was the smallest of any room I have ever stayed in, it could not have been more than 250 square feet, but was very clean. Bathroom was well lite but small too. Something different about the rooms was the fact the entrance doors were smaller than standard Hotel doors!! All the staff we met were very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Greetings Dewey and thank you for taking the time to post! We appreciate the wonderful five star review and we're happy to hear that your casino visit was a great success. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,188)

Reviewed 21 July 2014

The Renaissance is a classic old hotel with a lovely lobby, great showers, and friendly staff. Those are about the only good things I can say for it. My experience there left much to be desired. The room I was in was on the 9th floor and faced the Atrium. The room had two ancient below-the-window air conditioners that had two settings: "Freeze" and "Off." I'm sure the "Warmer/Cooler" dials weren't connected to anything. A strange sign on each of the units explained that these were air conditioners, not heaters, and due to the historic nature of the hotel room, there WAS no heater. To heat the room, the sign explained, simply open the window and let the Atrium heat warm it. (Think about that: a room with a historic nature that had no heat, yet had an air conditioner.) When I attempted to do as the sign said and returned to my room several hours later, all I had was a cold, HUMID room that smelled like chlorine. As a result I kept the air off and the windows shut for the entire 9 days I stayed there. It was stuffy to say the least. The crowning event came on Saturday night. I had to wake at 5:45 a.m. on Sunday to catch a plane, so went to bed at 11. At 11:30 a party broke out in the room adjacent to mine. (The two rooms shared a paper-thin set of doors, used to create one large suite.) At 1:00 a.m. I still hadn't slept a wink, so called the front desk. The phone rang over 30 times with no answer. So I dressed and went down to complain in person. I was told that Security COULD be called, but the smarter choice would be to change rooms. Too tired to argue, I found myself in the elevator at 1:20 a.m. with my suitcases and all my belongings, changing rooms a little over 4 hours before I'd have to get up. Because the hotel was filled with partying groups who had nothing better to do, the fire alarm went off at 2:00 a.m., 2:15 a.m., and 2:30 a.m. At 6:30 the next morning, I found no one at the front desk; I had to get a janitor to find someone for me so I could check out. The Renaissance may be a classic old hotel, but it's not a classic hotel, which usually makes sure guests are comfortable. Apparently the partying individuals were more important to the staff than guests who stay for an extended period of time. If I ever return to Cleveland, the Renaissance is one hotel I'll avoid.

Room Tip: To get a room that actually has heat, find another hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank BigG-28
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Hello BigG and thank you for visiting and for taking the time to post. On behalf of our entire team here in Cleveland, we sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced while visiting. Our general manager would very much like the opportunity to speak with you so that she may assist. Should you have the time, please email rencleveland@renaissancehotels.com with your details and contact information. We truly are very sorry and we definitely look forward to hearing from you. Thank you again.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed here for the Jason Alden concert at Progressive Field. It is beyond beautiful and a great location. Connected to Tower City, next door to Horseshoe Casino and within walking distance of tons of restaurants and Progressive field and the Q. The room was really gorgeous and we loved our stay. Perhaps a bit pricey but worth it when we saw how terrible the trafgicwas before and after the concert. :-). I highly recommend it!

1  Thank Jessica T

Jessica! Hello and thank you! Five stars and "Perfect" is just what we like to hear. Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you again soon. Safe travels!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We recently stayed at this Marriott. We were in town for the Indians vs. Yankees game. While we found the location of the hotel to be convenient, we are not sure we would stay there again. It took us 30 minutes to park the car ($25.00 a night plus tax) and to get to the front desk to check in. I have never ever experienced a situation where you park go down a flight of stairs then take an escalator back up and walk down two hallways to check in. We literally checked into the hotel and went to the game. We arrived back at the hotel late and exhausted from a long day. The AC was making strange noises and I was too tired to call the front desk.
As we checked out I informed the man of the AC issue and he said there was no manager on duty that early in the am. ( I found that strange. )
I would probably stay at the Marriott at 127 Public Square next time. As no one had contacted me yet from the hotel to even try to resolve this issue.

Happy to be back in New York!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank PZPJ

Hello PZPJ and thank you for choosing to stay with us and more importantly for taking the time to post about your experience. We are terribly sorry for any and all issues you had while visiting. Our general manager would like the opportunity to speak with you and should you be interested, we ask that you please email her directly at rencleveland@renaissancehotels.com. We assure you that she will want to discuss your feedback. We work diligently to assure that all guests have a positive experience while visiting and we're terribly sorry that we fell short in your case. Thank you once again and we hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here last month great location but when we got back to the apartment at like 2 am we tried to sleep but we heard footsteps pacing at the foot of the bed and knocking on the head board and, the toilet ran on its own. Me and my husband heard this until about 3:30 when we fell asleep

Stayed: June 2014

Hello Frankie and thank you for posting. We are terribly sorry for any inconvenience while visiting however we don't completely understand your post. If you could please email out general manager directly at rencleveland@renaissancehotels.com. We are very concerned if you're stating that another guest was inside your room. Thank you again and we definitely look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

The staff at this hotel were friendly and helpful. Help with dinner decisions (walking distance to a large number of choices) and one person took the trouble to walk me to something I was looking for. Very solicitous. The hotel is in the grand old style, clean, only drawback was that my room smelled musty. I'd give the staff a "fantastic" but the room makes my rating "average". It still puzzles me that expensive hotels charge extra for wifi, bugs me every time it happens.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank troisfleches
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Hello and thank you for visiting. We appreciate all of your feedback and please know that we have passed your information to our general manager for her review. We apologize for any possible odor within your guest room. Thank you again for taking the time to post and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed here for a getaway weekend and fell in love with this hotel. The grand lobby, the beautiful staircases, the marble floors and fountain will make you feel transported back in time. It's truly stunning. I read reviews on here that rooms were small, but our room was quite large. I understand the comments about the thinness of the walls. We could hear the people next door while in the bathroom. Overall, it was very quiet. The beds were really comfortable and I slept the best I've slept in a while. Also, I really enjoyed our city view and was able to watch a beautiful sunset on our first night. All staff members were friendly and very helpful. In the evening we opted to stay and have drinks at the hotel bar. It was just too beautiful to go anywhere else! Great location - connected to the casino and the mall. Also we attended a Cleveland Indians game and it was a short walk to the stadium. Would definitely reccomend and would love to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a city view on the 10th floor and above.
1  Thank Warmson

Hello warmson, four stars - WOW! Thank you! We cannot emphasize enough how wonderful it is to hear when guests had an amazing night's sleep. We're thrilled to hear that everything was so amazing and we definitely look forward to your return!