Renaissance Cleveland Hotel
US$129
Radisson
US$325
1,228 results
All reviewspublic squaresans soucisan soucilobby bartower city centerbeautiful hotelbeautiful lobbyan older hotelthe club loungeupgraded to a suiterock and roll hallparking garage isindoor poolbed was very comfortableold buildingguest roomsself park
Reviewed 12 August 2014

If you like the smell of mold and mildew the minute you open your hotel room door, stay here. Utterly and absolutely disgusting for over $300/night. Check in was painful. Asked to be upgraded to concierge level so I could take advantage of club lounge, and lady didn't know the code to upgrade me....and how to charge me for it. Not sure the last time the room was used but a fine layer of dust was all over the metal toilet fixtures. And let me mention those metal fixtures---elementary school lavatories and airports have better toilets. You flush the toilet by depressing the metal wand with your foot! No tank, no resemblance to a "real" toilet. UGH.

So now I'm paying for concierge lounge access. Looking at the website since I want coffee before I shower, I read 6 am. Imagine my surprise when the doors are locked and signage says 630am!! I walk down 2 doors and hear the waitstaff laughing, talking while prepping with a radio blaring. I knock on the door hoping they'll take pity on me and give me a cup of coffee. Next thing is the radio is turned off and not another sound as if they were pretending not to be there! Yes, there's a 1 serve coffee pot in my room, but if I'm disgusted to walk on the rugs, do you think I'm going to brew coffee in that? The air conditioning (if you call it that) is the old time fan system built under the window with no temperature control, just a toggle switch for manual/off/auto with a dial with warmer or cool. Try getting it to regulate! I fiddled for awhile and gave up, covering most of the vent with 2 pillows and a hand towel held down with a book!

The latest initiative of being green and 'saving the environment' is code word to save $$$ in the hotel industry. Unless you ask, they do not change your sheets for 3 days! They save the environment and $$$ on staff, water, detergent but no savings are passed along to the consumer. How about if we "opt in" for that lack of service and get free wifi or another amenity so we can all share in our concern for the environment? I think it's a ploy to just hire less staff and add to the bottom line under the pretense of saving the environment (which I agree with but let's all share in the economic savings!).

No makeup mirror in the bathroom so luckily I travel with one. Towels were of nice quality and Lilliputian sized Aveda products....don't all those millions of supposed biodegradable containers harm the environment? So much for the "green" policy!

The grand lobby was opulent, like stepping into a Newport mansion, but my room was awful. All I keep thinking is I will be getting Legionaires disease with the mold and mildew smell!

While I appreciate the beauty of historical places, travelers expect better for $300+/night.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Hello Paula and thank you very much for visiting. We are terribly sorry for any and all issues you may have experienced while visiting. Our general manager would very much like the opportunity to speak with you and to help make this right. Should you have the time, we would appreciate an email with contact information to rencleveland@renaissancehotels.com so that we can help. We are truly sorry and we hope to hear from you. Thank you once again for taking your time to post.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

For a centralized location to explore Cleveland, this place is hard to beat. The lobby & public areas are very grand. However, our room was very compact & for the price, it was a bit much. Glad we didn't spend a lot of time there.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank travelin-hoosier
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Greetings and thank you very much for visiting. We appreciate you taking the time to post. We wanted to let you know that regarding your guest room, actually each of our 491 rooms are totally unique in size and layout. No two rooms are alike due to the historic nature of our beautiful hotel. We apologize that you were disappointed and we hope that you'll visit again in the future. Safe travels and thank you fro visiting Cleveland.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

This hotel is located in a perfect location for anything you want to do in Cleveland. The free trolley that goes all over downtown stops in front, I have just a few complaints. Because it is next to the casino, it is a high traffic area, and they need to power wash the side walks in the summer, as you get a strong garbage and urine smell walking by. We stayed on the club floor, in rooms listed as $420 a night, which has a Club Lounge. They closed the Lounge, and we asked why, "oh it has been closed for 2 years" yet the sign posting the times was still there and you could see chairs inside. Was it closed because they wanted to sell in their bar?? never got an answer. the rooms really had no temp controls, and stayed warm in the summer, no frig in a $400 a night room???.. They charge $6.00 for 15 minutes use in their business room which i find really cheap for this hotel. The beds were comfortable, but sheets did not fit tight, and the bottom came loose all night. If you are staying for a game or to go to the casino this hotel is good..

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank winemama88

Hello and thank you so very much for taking the time to post. We are sincerely sorry for any and all disappointments while visiting. Unfortunately we cannot explain the miscommunication regarding our Club Lounge, however we have a beautiful Club Lounge on our 12th floor which is very much in use with regular hours Sunday - Friday. Again, we don't know what type of misunderstanding existed, however we do apologize. Should you wish to speak with our general manager regarding your visit and provide some additional information so that she can assist, we encourage you to please email rencleveland@renaissancehotels.com. On behalf of our entire team, we thank you and hope to see you again on your next visit. Thank you also for attending the 2014 GG9!!

Reviewed 9 August 2014

The hotel is old luxury. The hotel is beautiful and the rooms are very nice. There is not much temperature control in each room, just a dial on the unit under each window. But I have never been uncomfortable in the winter or summer months. The beds are very comfortable and the bathrooms are nice size.

The concierge lounge is excellent. The employees working in the lounge are extremely nice and will engage you in conversation.

The parking is expensive at $27 a day, but you probably won't find it much cheaper elsewhere. The hotel is located close enough to nightlife, but not too close. Plenty of activities to do in Cleveland within walking distance of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Hello and thank you for posting your four star review! It sounds as though you visit often, and for that, we thank you. It's great to see repeat guests such as yourself with such positive reviews of our grand historic hotel. Once again, we thank you for visiting and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Cleveland!

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stayed here for a weekend with friends and an Indians game. Conveniently located in easy walking distance to the stadium and several surrounding restaraunts (try E. 4th St.). Area around stadium was awesome with great pregame specials ($2 beers!!!!). Hotel is old but beautifully kept. Lobby is gorgeous. My room was very spacious with a nice view of downtown. (Note, my friends' room was very small for 4 people. So room size evidently varies.) Connected to Tower City and Horseshoe Casino. Had a great time there as well. Parking is pretty steep at $27 a night and very, very crowded. Some surface lots nearby but not under cover. A few shady characters in area surrounding hotel but nice security presence made me always feel safe. Really enjoyed my stay at the Renaissance and the staff was very friendly and welcoming. Awesome hotel!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank John J

Hello Joh and thank you not only for staying with us, but for taking your time to post as well. We love seeing the five star rating! Thank you! We appreciate all of your feedback and yes, you are correct, believe it or not, each of our 491 guest rooms are completely unique in size and layout! This is due to the historic nature of the hotel (nearly 100 years) and several renovations throughout the past century. Once again, thank you for posting, and we hope to see you again soon. GO TRIBE!