“Worthwhile Old Venue”

Renaissance Cleveland Hotel
Ranked #18 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
“Worthwhile Old Venue”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

The staff was helpful. The location is outstanding for sports fans & for a bit of a hike the the Rock 'n roll hall of fame. The wifi gave out to all the rooms the second day I was there but was accessible in the lobby & dinning area. The rooms are old & poorly layer out but nothing too obnoxious or inconvenient. The parking underground is tight but secure.

Room Tip: Rely on the front dest personnel if you are a Marriott Rewards member.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
Hello Bait and thank you not only for visiting, but for taking the time to post. We apologize sincerely for any and all disappointments while visiting. We're happy to hear that our team was helpful, however we are truly sorry for the other issues. Once again, we thank you for taking the time to post and we hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Twinsburg, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

We went for the Cleveland Air Show and nieces birthday! Was able to watch from room! Located within walking distance to everything! Room was fabulous! Parking a little high for overnight! Suggest to check nearby parking we seen parking for $10.00 or less, across from parking garage! Hotel was $27.00. Pool was very shallow for swimming would suggest visiting the beach!

• Stayed August 2014
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this review, 29 September 2014
Hello Charlene and thank you so much for visiting and for posting your glowing five star review of our hotel. We certainly appreciate it! Safe travels always.
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

This was a great hotel stay! The Renaissance is a grand old property (built in 1915) that provides a retro, luxurious feel the moment you walk in. The lobby has a very classy, high-end feel, and the attached bar makes you want to settle down with a rare scotch. Hallways are wide and long - just a completely different feel from the cramped, utilitarian hotels that occupy every town and airport any more.
My room was an Executive Suite - a bedroom plus a living area that could seat about 10 people. Bathrooms are old - but in a nice way. While there isn't a ton of counter space, the real marble makes it feel bigger than it is. Now, the previous occupant's bath towels were left behind the door, but that was the only problem that I encountered, so I'll give that one a pass.
The downtown location is great - very close to plenty of restaurants, bars and shopping, and all stadiums are within walking distance.
Cleveland can be a little sketchy in places, but if I return, I'll try to stay at the Renaissance.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank medicalalert
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Greetings from Cleveland and thank you not only for choosing to stay with us, but for taking your time to post. We very much appreciate the four stars and of course all the many wonderful compliments. On behalf of our housekeeping team, we sincerely apologize for the issue with the towels - that never should have happened and for that we are truly sorry. Once again, we thank you for visiting and we hope to see you again very soon. Safe travels!
Allen Park, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

We spent two nights there in last week. The location is excellent and there is parking right there ($50 for two nights). The hotel lobby and bar areas are very nice. The rooms are very small and the bathrooms are very dated. There are older toilets, baths and showers. So if you are looking for an updated awesome room, this is not the hotel for you.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a view. We were on the 6th floor and looked at a wall from the parking structure...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Hello Kathleen and thank you for taking the time to post. We appreciate you visiting and were very sorry for your disappointment in your guest room layout. Please know that actually each of our 491 guest rooms are completely unique in size an layout and should you ever visit again and are disappointed, we would be happy to relocate you to a more suitable room if we are able. Sometimes this is not possible, however we definitely try. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.
Waterville Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Perhaps it's not fair to write this review yet since I'm still staying here even though I wish I could just hop on a plane and go home. But I can't. I'm accompanying my husband on a week-long medical conference.
"There's a pool, honey," he said and that did it. I agreed to leave my exciting life and go with him. So I packed my Speedo, goggles, nose clip and sturdy bathing cap. Swimming was just what the doctor ordered during this steamy time of year.
A split second after we arrived, having travelled nearly all day from Maine, I had suited up and was dashing to the 5th floor and the pool.
What I saw made me pull back in horror. This is false advertising! Yes, there was some water in an ugly wading area already full of two screaming kids and their indulgent mother. The depth of water was 3 feet. To call it a pool is dishonest. This disappointment is colouring my stay.I'm still here for almost five days and can't quite run out on my husband even though I'd love to go home.
The small room is listed at $424 a night.{I think hubby paid less, at least I hope so}. The things on the wall, intended as art," are hideous. The one bottle of water propped up on the desk and listed at 3$ is an insult. There is no mini bar, no fridge. Not even a shower cap in the bathroom.In all, it's a cheap outfit, which almost makes the grand lobby ridiculous.
But to balance things out here are some nice things: the water in the shower is good and hot, the bed is comfy, and, best of all, the staff is very pleasant. A gal named Cookie served me a lovely glass of wine in the ...Sans Soucie restaurant{is it?} and gave me recommendations about how to spend the rest of my stay.
So, armed with a pricey bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon, which I purchased in a bar at the adjoining Mall, I will soldier on.
But before I pour out another glass, I'd like to thank a fellow on the 11th floor whom I managed to corner and who found me a corkscrew--and even opened the bottle for me.
Cheers!

Room Tip: Don't take rooms overlooking the so-called pool
Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BulleWatervilleMaine
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this review, 4 October 2014
Hello and thank you for posting your review. We apologize for the confusion here, however it appears that our original response to your posting was deleted. Once again we are sincerely sorry for the issues you experienced while visiting. Should you still wish to speak with our general manager, please feel free to email rencleveland@renaissancehotels.com. Thank you once again and on behalf of our entire team, we definitely apologize for the issues you experienced while here.
Cincinnati, OH
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

I'm a Cleveland native (now living in Cincinnati). I was in town for business and decided to make a long weekend with my wife and stay in the Renaissance. I was familiar with the great lobby and bar from my Cleveland days but had never stayed in the hotel. I booked with the Renaissance website and requested early check-in due to a business appointment I had. Of course no early check-in was granted and it was clear that it was never even considered. I had to change into a suit in the lobby bathroom. Our room was finally ready around 4:00. They knew my wife was waiting and had said they would call her when it was ready, but that never happened either. The worst part however, was on 2 separate nights we were woken repeatedly by screaming in the hallway. one night it was a couple fighting, the next night was drunken a-holes. We're talking 3 - 4 AM. So not a good nights sleep. Not great service. ok hotel. And oh yes, the pillows were very thin and killed my ear in the morning. Next time in Cleveland I'll spring for the Ritz.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JMS1002
Hello JMS and thank you not only for visiting, but also for taking the time to post. On behalf of our entire team, we are truly sorry for the experiences you note. Please know that we always do in fact make attempts to accommodate special circumstance early check-ins and late check-outs. However at times due to higher occupancy levels, we simply cannot accommodate and for that we definitely apologize. Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us and we hope that you will in fact visit again where we can offer a better experience. Safe travels.
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

This hotel is a historic early 1900s building that is absolutely stunningly beautiful inside. . I cannot tell you how pleased that my wife and I were with our stay. We decided to stay downtown Cleveland after we were married on that day. When we checked in, we told the front desk girl that this was the first time that we used our married last name as a couple and that we were just married a few hours before. She seemed like she was genuinely happy for us and congratulated us several times. We went up to our room, cleaned up and went out to E4th Street for dinner and drinks. When we got back to our room there was a bottle of Champaign and chocolate covered strawberries with a personal hand written note from the front desk person waiting for us. I have been meaning to send a letter to the hotel explaining how much we enjoyed our stay and how that person will make our stay forever live in our memories. I wish that I had her name so that I could thank her again! I stay at Marriott properties all over the United States and this is by far the absolute best experience that I have ever had. Thank you Renaissance for making our wedding day even more memorable!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DaTravelGuru
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Hello Bob and congratulations once again!! Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us for such a special occasion and also for taking the time to post. We have passed your comments directly to our general manager and she will be sure to find out which member of our front desk team made the kind arrangements. Once again, thank you and we hope to see you again soon!