“The Perfect Wedding Hotel”

Renaissance Cleveland Hotel
Ranked #18 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Lakewood, Ohio
“The Perfect Wedding Hotel”
Reviewed 20 October 2009

Sticking with the theme of "quintessential Cleveland" for our wedding, my husband and I decided that our overnight accommodations of choice should be at the Renaissance Hotel in downtown Cleveland. This classically beautiful hotel offered the perfect accommodations for our December wedding. They staff was excellent and worked with us on rates for blocked rooms. All of our guests raved about the accommodations, which were second to none. I can say, with all sincerity, that while we didn't have the wedding at the hotel, it certainly made up for a big part of the overall experience, which was perfect. We will be returning for our anniversary again this year.

• Stayed December 2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Ohio
Reviewed 10 October 2009

Whenever I travel to Cleveland, I try to stay at the Renaissance. It has a great location in the center of downtown, and is a classic hotel -- updated to modern standards.

As a Marriott Platinum member I enjoy the use of the Concierge Lounge, which is one of the best in the entire Marriott chain. Of particular not is the Concierge, Albert. He has an amazing knowledge of the local area, and goes out of his way to answer any question or satisfy any request.

The rooms are spacious and the service is always perfect.

A wonderful hotel I recommend to everyone.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Indiana
Reviewed 8 October 2009

The hotel is beautiful on the inside, but getting into the hotel was a huge hassle. We were greated by lots of exterior construction and couldn't find the valet. We decided to self park but the found the parking garage to be extremely small! In fact we ran into a lot of dead ends and not a lot of space.
Once inside we received a friendly welcome and very helpful service. Our room was a long walk on the 9th floor. The room was nice but I found the bathroom dirty for such a nice hotel. The TV was difficult to use and no free wi-fi.
I will note that the hotel is attached a shopping center, which is located to the Q arena, so it was nice not having to go outside to get to our destination. I will also note that it is a long outdoor walk from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Memphis, TN
Reviewed 28 September 2009

This is a great up-dated vintage hotel. We had a great experience from the time we arrived at the airport until we left Cleveland. The hotel is very conveniently located downtown - the commuter rail system from the airport has a stop in the adjoining shopping mall - many very good restaurants and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame are also within easy walking distance of the hotel. I think every single hotel staff member that we came upon made a point of saying hello and many offered help before even being asked. I agree with a previous post that this is one of the friendliest hotels I've been to - everyone truly seemed happy to work there. The room was nicely decorated with wonderful bedding and nice Aveda bath products. There was also a designated computer/printer in the lobby for printing boarding passes - maybe this is common, but I've never seen this before - very handy. Although I got a good meeting rate for the hotel, I had such a good experience that I'd be willing to pay more to stay here again if ever in town for leisure.

Ohio
Reviewed 20 September 2009

The pros:
- The friendliest, most helpful staff I have ever encountered in a hotel. Front desk guy upgraded me for no reason to a club level room; EVERYONE to a person was warm and genuine, and went out of their way to be helpful, from the bellmen and housekeepers, to the concierge, to the bartenders. The catering staff was exceptionally capable, and did a fantastic job serving during conference meal sessions.
- Sparkling clean room.
- High quality Aveda toiletries.
- Beautiful, well laid-out and comfortable lobby and bar areas
- Convenient location near great restaurants and shopping, and attractions including Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
- Sound proof rooms; I never heard a peep from anywhere, despite full occupancy.

The cons:
- Weird square lumpy pillows
- No individual temp controls in rooms
- Extra charge ($12.95) for internet
- Tiny, utilitarian exercise room (3 treadmills, 2 elliptical machines, 2 bikes)
- Ridiculously expensive parking ($23/day)
- Electrical outlets in the room were scarce

Other reviewers mentioned worn furniture and peeling wallpaper; however, my room was beautiful, fresh and stylish. Perhaps some of the rooms have been updated, while others have not? All I know is that my room was in very nice shape.

The $150 conference rate made this an OK value.

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 20 September 2009

I'm a native Clevelander. I've also traveled alot; most recently to Tunis, Amsterdam and Paris. But I stayed in this hotel for a week, rather than at home, because it was playing host to our big national conference.

I was charmed by my stay, and tickled that such a pleasant hotel was here in my own home town. The staff was professional, helpful and almost beguilingly friendly. My room was especially spacious, as were the guest-room hallways. A large antique desk, a full-fledged divan, as well as a sofa and an easy chair were all part of the ample furnishings. I doubt that the bed could have been more comfortable. And everything, except perhaps for the outside windows, which showed routine over-time window dirt, was spic and span.

This hotel is attached to the Tower City complex, with a post office, stores, restaurants, ANOTHER four-star hotel, food court, movie theaters and a direct connection to the rapid transit trains to the airport. It also offers an indoor ramp to the baseball and basketball games, along with nearby walkability to dozens of really great restaurants in the Warehouse District, the E. 4th Street area and elsewhere. One couldn't ask for a more convenient location.

I certainly enjoyed my own stay, and was delighted that, to hear them tell it, so many of my professional colleagues apparently felt similarly.

1 Thank DoeHEAD
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 3 September 2009

Yes the exterior is under construction. Yes the hotel is old.

The interior is magnificent. The pool/atrium area is beautiful. The rooms were clean & spacious. The staff helped with the one issue I had (billing), and was most pleasant.

We were upgraded to a suite when we arrived. 2 room suite with 2 queen beds in one room & living area with flatscreen TV in the other room. Very nice. Room was spotless. Bathroom was well stocked & extremely clean.

Had breakfast Plan for 2 days & restaurant was good.

I really have nothing bad to say about this place except the location in the main transpotation terminal in the city of Cleveland leads to some undesirables hanging out around it. Nothing at all happened that would lend me to say it was unsafe, just not the cleanest & nicest area due to the volume of traffic (people & vehicles) coming & going in the area constantly.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family