“This is how a hotel stay should be.”

The Ritz-Carlton, Cleveland
Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

We visited the Ritz on Christmas eve. This was about the 10th time my wife and I have stayed there. From the moment we arrive every time, the excellent service begins with the valet and continues through the entire stay. Check in is quick and pleasant and the rooms are beautiful. We gamble at the Horseshoe and its short walk inside through Tower City mall. We look forward to our next trip to the Ritz Carlton.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank CaptainMorgan777

Reviewed 25 December 2013

Nice clean and big rooms. The parking valet was quick and good. The housekeeping was excellat and they were there anytime of the night if you was to need anything at all.Many fine places to eat within walking distant.

Room Tip: I"m sure their all good
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Cleveland for one Friday night in late December while in the city for a Cavalier game. Overall good experience:

Location- We stayed here primarily because we knew weather would be bad and it was connected to the arena. Very convenient getting to the arena. Had to wander a bit through the shopping area but it beat going out in the rain.

Check in- Painless and efficient. Valet parking was quick and efficient. $28 charge which I thought not unreasonable. Check in on 6th floor. Nice lobby.

Room- One king bed. Room was good sized for two people. Mattress too soft for my taste. Usually stay at Marriott's with firmer mattresses. Furniture was blond wood. Quite attractive I thought. Very clean. One siting chair (comfortable). Desk was not as large as I would like if I were traveling on business. Wish the desk chair was more ergonomic as well. Good size flat TV. Bathroom large enough for two people (albeit one sink). Water pressure in shower good. Bright and clean. Drawer and closet space fine. Two robes. Heating and air conditioning was too loud. Cycled on and off constantly through the night. In sum, I'd downgrade the room for the too-soft mattress and the noisy air conditioning but otherwise very nice.

Amenities- Had a drink at the bar/lounge on the sixth floor before the game and then a drink and sandwich at the same bar/lounge after the game. Bar is very small. 5 or six seats tops. No place to sit at the bar when first went in. Lounge is not large either. Nice fireplace though and seats were quite comfortable. Martinis were good and made to order. A club sandwich and fries after the game were excellent at a pretty reasonable price for hotel food. Very happy with food, drink and service. I could, however, easily see that if there were an event at the hotel the lounge would fill up quickly.

Did not use the health facilities or the formal restaurant.

In total, paid about $90 more for the night than if I had stayed at the Marriott or Renaissance, both of which are in the immediate area. Not sure I'd do it again if I weren't going to a game. The furnishings and general ambience are a step up from the Marriott but query if the delta in price is worth it. Still, my wife and I had a generally enjoyable evening.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gate75
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We got two nights two different times due to our casino play...the hotel is connected to a very very nice enclosed mall...which is also connected to the Horseshoe Casino...the accomadations are top shelf...plus just a couple minute walk (indoors) to the casino...hotel staff is most friendly...room service is available...extremely nice touch...we were in town during baseball season & the visiting team...the blue jays even stayed here...everything was the best

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Four of us booked holiday tea at the Ritz. When I booked the tea, they take your credit card number because the cancellation policies are very strict. You have to cancel 72 hours in advance, or they charge your credit card $25.00 each for the reservation. I was a bit nervous about it because we were driving from Burton and one person was coming from Toledo, and the weather was a bit iffy, but we made it.

The tea is excellent, you get your choice of one tea, and included is switching to another type of tea one time. If you want to switch again, there is an additional charge. We had the traditional sandwiches including salmon, cucumber, ham, and egg. The pastries were very good, a white chocolate mousse, gingerbread cake, and others. Scones were excellent with clotted cream.

The only problem I had was when I booked the tea, I told them we needed separate checks. They said "not a problem". We had a bit of a battle with the waitress about it. She told us "we don't do that, and it's been a rule for about four years". She was a bit rude...what happened to saying "my pleasure" like the always do at the Ritz!! At first, I was fine with splitting the check four ways, even though some of us had drinks and some didn't. But then she was so rude about it I was determined to have my way! Okay, this is the Ritz, known to be accomodating to customers. Also, there was a 20% service charge for the tea, and I didn't think she was worth 20%. Unfortunately, there are limited places to have tea in Cleveland.

It also doesn't compare anywhere close to having tea in London at one of the five star hotels. Although those teas are a bit more, around $65.00, for a high tea experience. They do have the teddy bear tea going on at the same time, I would have thought they may have been in a different room since there are plenty of children at the Teddy Bear Tea, but no such luck.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank LondonLady
Reviewed 16 December 2013

The room was very large and the bathroom was very spacious. The robes add a very nice touch and the bed was amazingly comfortable. We stayed with the casino points and it was well worth the experience. I'll definately will be staying here more often in the future.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank findsafari
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We had a free room at the Ritz due to our play at the Horseshoe casino. This hotel is truly one of the area's finest. They have comfortable beds with high quality bedding. Turn down service with chocolates on the pillows. Big towels and cozy robes. Even elevator service. Love staying here.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple