“They tried, but fell well below the Westin standard” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Cleveland Downtown

The Westin Cleveland Downtown
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Dayton, Ohio
“They tried, but fell well below the Westin standard”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

I stayed one night for a conference and have very mixed reviews.

Staff

Positive: Very pleasant employees who accommodated my request for a "conference rate", after the Westin hotels rep had charged me a regular rate. While it took a very long time to make the change, they upgraded me to a SPG floor. Every employee greeted me with a smile and were eager to assist with dining suggestions, bags, opening doors,etc.

Negative: It might have been in part because of the newness of the hotel, but many of the staff seemed confused or lost regarding proper service. The most notable experiences were with the valet and with one of the doormen. The valet made me walk to the garage ramp to get my car, instead of bringing the car to me. (My friend also noted that she had the identical experience). An experience that was not worth $30 per night. Next, three of us needed a cab, and the doorman asked if we would take a car instead. We assumed it was one of the Westin's cars (although upon reflection we should have known better due to the car's condition) and got in. When we arrived at our destination, which was less than 1/2 mile away, we attempted to "tip" the driver $5, only to be told that "fares downtown were $10", My friend believes that the driver was the doorman's friend trying to make a quick buck. Not the experience I expect from a Westin.

Hotel & Room

Positive: Beautifully designed hotel with unusual artwork. The lobby has several conversation pieces - from the lightbulb filled chandeliers, the giant human head or the plant wall. The rooms are fairly large, quiet and mine provided a beautiful view of the lake, stadium and rock & roll hall of fame.

Negative: The sheets were extremely rough and nothing like the Westin's "heavenly bed." I don't believe that they are 200 thread count - maybe 180 or less. Made sleeping very uncomfortable.

Restaurant

Positive: The restaurant is excellent and I appreciated the fact that they serve local products. People raved about the mac and cheese, but I had a potato pie which was amazing!! Service was excellent and the ambiance and decor were perfect for enjoying dinner with a large group.

Negative: The prices are OUT OF THIS WORLD!!! 1/2 roast chicken was $27 and the cheapest cut of steak was about $45. I was very shocked by these prices, especially given the fact that they serve local products.

I hope that this hotel can improve upon the shortcomings which I experienced. I would give it another try, since it's still fairly new ... but not anytime too soon.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank cab5
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear Cab5,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We have recently opened, and have implemented all the standards including our linens which are 250 count. We are working with our Laundry team to process an exceptional product. Appreciate your comments on our staff, and they truly are fantastic!
Look forward to future visits when you return to Cleveland!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
San Miguel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Very nice hotel, but only open for about a month and there are still problems in a few areas - water was off for the entire hotel when we arrived, but fortunately soon fixed; ordered room service twice: first time on arrival; order was incomplete, silverware only for one, never returned with remainder of order; second time for breakfast - promised fifteen minutes, took over an hour to arrive; no shampoo or conditioner - had to call twice to get someone to bring it (took over 2 hours). On the other hand, the hotel is clean and new, rooms good size and comfortable, staff very friendly.

Room Tip: There are many restaurants within walking distance - you might consider choosing them instead of the...
1 Thank tste
Bob M, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, 4 March 2015
Dear tste,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. We appreciate you choosing us and being so understanding of the newness of the property.

We look forward to your next visit so we can exceed your expectations.

Best regards,
Bob
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Had a nice stay in this newly opened hotel in downtown Cleveland. The hotel was very nice, clean, and the staff extremely friendly. The restaurant/bar just off the lobby was very nice and has a great happy hour. There is a large business area with multiple computers available. The hotel is within walking distance to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Brown's football stadium, shopping, and a casino. My only complaint was the price of parking at $30 per night when my rental car was only $13/day. I looked around the area for overnight parking elsewhere but wasn't able to find any.

Room Tip: Ask for a waterfront view; it's spectacular.
3 Thank K D
Dear KD,

We are thrilled that you enjoyed our property, and the location is perfect for those visiting Cleveland! Look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Chardon, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I had booked this hotel before it had officially opened for my husband's 50th birthday. I had read the reviews the week before our stay and was nervous about following through with our reservation. In the end we opted to give it a try. I am thrilled that we did. The lobby is absolutely stunning. The staff at the front desk were very personable and helpful. We stayed in a suite (#918). The suite itself was beautiful. The bedding was comfortable. Liked the extra touch of robes and disposable slippers. The t.v. was in working order unlike a previous reviewer had stated. The separate living/work area was very nice. The only 2 drawbacks on the suite are the view looks out onto the roof (where you can see two satellite dishes for the restaurant below) and one can hear the elevators going up and down. As other reviewers stated there is no street parking. Only valet parking. We were totally fine with that because the other two hotels we've stayed at downtown have the same. We like the convenience of coming down and having our vehicle waiting for us. The only complaint I would have from our stay is that we were woken up by housekeeping at 9:40 a.m. (we had the do not disturb sign hung on our door) on a Sunday which has a late checkout of Noon. As a parent away from four kids for a night I was looking forward to not being woken up by anyone. All in all the hotel is beautiful and my apprehensions were for naught. We would definitely stay here again.

3 Thank mom24kidsoh
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Mom24kidsoh,
We are certainly thrilled to hear you and your husband enjoyed our hotel and Happy 50th to him! Look forward to welcoming you again, and we will ensure our housekeeping team recognizes the importance of Do not Disturb!

Thank you for your comments!
Cedar Falls, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed at the Westin for 3 nights for a wedding. The front desk could not find our correct reservation, and gave us the wrong gift bag from bride and groom. The wait time for room service was longer than most hotels, food was decent. When calling the front desk to have our car brought up, three times they did not give the valet the message. My husband called the front desk to have fans brought up, and half hour later they hadn't brought any up. He called back and they told him they don't have any fans. I asked for sheets, blankets, and several pillows for the pullout sofa as there weren't any in the room - they only brought up one pillow. A houseman walked in our room without knocking, saying he was going to pick up the rollaway bed. I told him there was no rollaway bed, and he looked surprised and left. The shower leaked all over the bathroom floor every time we showered, and there was painters tape still around the door in the bathroom. My husband wanted a soda but didn't want to wait for the slow room service - he called to see where the pop machines were at and the front desk said they had not been put in yet. Not once during our stay did the staff ever apologize for the poor service. I did get an email apology from the manager, but there was no offer of discounting the rooms.

In summary, a very frustrating and unprofessional experience at this hotel. If it weren't for the wedding reception and other family members staying at this hotel, we would have left!

Room Tip: The grand suite is bigger than the junior suite, but the website doesn't specify what you are ge...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Megan B
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Megan,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience at our new Westin Cleveland, and disappointed to hear your stay did not meet expectations. As a newly opened property we are improving our services every day, and look forward to welcoming you back to this wonderful facility!
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is a brand new hotel and the building and facilities are amazing! The room we were in had a great view and the bathroom was very nice. It had modern amenities such as outlets on the bedside table and huge TVs (see below). The workout room was great too; lots of machines (cardio & strength) and it rivaled a real gym (I actually wish my gym was as nice).

Unfortunately, however, the execution of the various services failed during our stay. First, the TVs didn't actually work. None of the channels could be tuned in and, even after a visit by engineering, we were left with two non-working televisions. The response by the staff was just a shrug and "must be something wrong with the dish". The TVs in the gym didn't fare much better receiving only a handful of channels. It was interesting that the "dish" worked somewhat in the gym but not in our room. Secondly, despite paying more for an Executive Level room we were still charged for internet and were not told by any of the staff that there was an executive lounge nor the option for free breakfast. The internet charge was taken off after a brief discussion with the front desk. Speaking of the internet, it was somewhat hit and miss and often devices would timeout while trying to connect. The internet service is limited to 3 devices per room (choose wisely). Finally, a relatively minor point, the "fresh" flowers in our room were several weeks old and molding.

All in all, I think this hotel will be very nice but needs a lot more time to work out the kinks.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank kenn0223
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear MeganB,
While we have recently opened, disappointed the we did not deliver a wonderful experience during your stay. We do have drinks and various guest items available in our Lobby, and have improved our Valet delivery after testing our process during our soft opening period. Our teams are working hard to execute our standards, and deliver above expectations!

Thank You!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The first thing you notice about the hotel is the logo emblazoned on the building THE WESTIN. Never saw that before. But I think this establishment is going to certainly deserve that prefix soon.
The valet parking attendants are courteous without being too pushy. They don't allow self park but I was able to utilize the free street parking due to the Memorial Day weekend. They were still nice to me.
Maybe due to a technical glitch, but my Platinum status did not show up on their system. Once I showed them my SPG card, both physical and on the app, the manager Adan Pacheco immediately arranged a junior suite upgrade, which was fabulous. (1018) However the front desk seemed to be still feeling their way through the newly installed software. The staff also were not familiar with the SPG perks for a Platinum.
The next thing you notice is the lobby. Very chic, almost like a trendy W. Nice music piped in and this hotel will please both the Westin fans and W fans. In fact, this is looking like a superior Westin. The rooms are amazing, great design elements. The only design fault was the hidden coffee maker which forced us to take it out and put it on a counter top and operate it. Felt bad about the inevitable stains. They need a tray.
The in room dining order was hard to place as the staff is still not familiar with the menu. The food was great although they should have realized it is not easy to deliver a Cappuccino hot to the room before committing.
The star attraction of the hotel is the on site restaurant, Urban Farmer. Great menu although left my vegetarian wife out in the cold. The ambiance is very trendy and the bar is a nice hang out. This will be a magnet for people in downtown Cleveland soon.
The Club Lounge was not yet open but the manager made some accommodations for our breakfast. All in all, this is a great addition to the Starwood family that is still struggling with issues of having just opened.

Room Tip: All rooms are BRAND NEW and have great amenities!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Puneet G
Dear PuneetG,
We appreciate your comments on our new Westin Cleveland. Our Grand Opening was filled with excitement, and our associates are working to create a unique service experience in Cleveland. Please know feedback is an important part of our growing culture in exceeding expectations!
Thank You!