“Excellent Hotel !!!!!”

The Westin Cleveland Downtown
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Reviewed 28 June 2014

From the moment we arrived and took in the incredible design, we knew it was a winner. This property is by far the best in Cleveland, and I have stayed at most of them! The hotel has only been open for a month, and although the staff is new, the service was fantastic. We will be back again and again!

Room Tip: ask for water view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Bob M, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2015

Dear Steve L,

Thank you for your great comments and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Cleveland Downtown.

We look forward to your next visit.

Best regards,
Bob

Write a ReviewReviews (1,111)

Reviewed 28 June 2014

It took over 7 hours to get a room. I had nine employees with me. It took all of over 7 hours to get a room. The excuse was because we are busy. No hot water the entire 4 nights we stayed. No customer service at the front desk. The manager is a joke. The have no clue how to run a hotel.
The first room I was given after waiting 7 hours I went to it. It was dirty it had not been cleaned from the previous guest stay. When I went back down to the front desk. I was told yes it is!! I said not it is not. The the girl said: Do you still want this room. I said NO!! I had to wait another 45 minutes for another room.
Then I get to my room and there is NO water…
There is no gift shop in the hotel to get bottle of water, coke etc.
I complained to Corporate about what happen to this hotel. I get a email from someone at hotel stating: as stated, you were checking in at our peak time. This is the apology,. This place is ran like MOTEL 6. No an Motel 6 was have better customer service.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Dale H,
Please accept our apology for the unacceptable delay with your room, and also disappointed we did not resolve the situation well.
Please feel free to reach out to me directly mark.anderson@westincleveland.com.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

My stay started with a 20 minute delay checking in because they had me booked in 2 rooms rather then one.
When I opened the door to my room I had a strange feeling that someone was in the room, or had just left. I first noticed a dirty towel next to the bed. The bed was made but the top was wrinkled as if someone had rolled around on it. The room was made up, but someone had just used the shower and there was another used towel on the floor in the bathroom. Looks like someone used the room for a liaison after it was cleaned. Not a good feeling about security or the staff.

Once in the new room, housekeeping did a great job, but didn't clean the room until around 3:30-5pm. Even though we left the room before 7am. The room above me was being vacuumed at 10pm.

Overall the staff was very polite, but the overall experience isn't what I would expect from a Westin.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Terry H
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear Terry H,
We appreciate your feedback, and will fine tune our process in Housekeeping to ensure we deliver and exceptional guest room consistent with our standards.
Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

This hotel is absolutely lovely and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay! Every employee that we encountered went out of his or her way to be accommodating and was very polite and helpful.

My only suggestion is that some soundproofing be attended to in the rooms. I was startled when I was in our room that I could clearly hear conversation going on in the hallway, and while in the hallway, I could hear the shower in the room four doors away. Privacy and modesty will certainly be compromised in a hotel that lacks soundproofing as this currently does.

I also had trouble with water from the shower leaking onto the floor. I was intrigued by the plexiglass half wall in lieu of a shower curtain or door and thought, "Well, they must have designed it such that water will not leak onto the floor." Not so much.

Otherwise, we truly loved it and would love to come back! I am very happy to see high quality hotels and restaurants contributing to the renaissance of Cleveland!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ohiovisitor2011
Bob M, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2015

Dear ohiovisitor2011,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. Your comments are much appreciated. I hope that you come back to Cleveland soon to be our guest again.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Best regards

Reviewed 22 June 2014

The hotel is new and has only been open for approx. 2 months.There were glitches during our stay that called into question the preparedness of Westin to handle a sold out hotel. There was no water for several hours on a number of floors. The A/C didn't work for quite awhile.The fire alarm sounded,how do physically handicapped people who rely on electric scooters get down higher level floors evacuate? A meal ordered for room service arrived with no silver ware ( finger food ? ) It arrived a 1/2 hour later. The business center has no one present,trying to make copies the printer states a copy is being printed with nothing coming out .Picking up the phone to call for assistance results in a dead phone. Our room was nicely furnished, a large settee was totally unusable, up right backs prevented any one from being comfortable;pillows were of no help.Did the interior designer actually sit on it or ordered it because it looked nice? The bathroom was very nice with a walk-in shower, however there are no grab bars which would help if one slipped.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a lake view.

Dear Sayheytoo,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I'm sorry that we had some obvious shortcomings while you were with us. I do hope that you will return to our property let us exceed your expectations.

We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Just spent 4 days here for a conference. Decor was great but it was downhill from there. Guest services was poorly informed, no help with parking and checkout was a nightmare, 2 days of poorly working or no air conditioning, 1 day with no to limited water and to top it off fire alarms. Certainly not up to my expectations as a Starwood Preferred Guest

Dear Susie R,
We apologize for the challenges you encountered during your stay, and have rectified our issues with the building systems. Guest feedback is critical to our success, and appreciate your comments.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I stayed one night for a conference and have very mixed reviews.

Staff

Positive: Very pleasant employees who accommodated my request for a "conference rate", after the Westin hotels rep had charged me a regular rate. While it took a very long time to make the change, they upgraded me to a SPG floor. Every employee greeted me with a smile and were eager to assist with dining suggestions, bags, opening doors,etc.

Negative: It might have been in part because of the newness of the hotel, but many of the staff seemed confused or lost regarding proper service. The most notable experiences were with the valet and with one of the doormen. The valet made me walk to the garage ramp to get my car, instead of bringing the car to me. (My friend also noted that she had the identical experience). An experience that was not worth $30 per night. Next, three of us needed a cab, and the doorman asked if we would take a car instead. We assumed it was one of the Westin's cars (although upon reflection we should have known better due to the car's condition) and got in. When we arrived at our destination, which was less than 1/2 mile away, we attempted to "tip" the driver $5, only to be told that "fares downtown were $10", My friend believes that the driver was the doorman's friend trying to make a quick buck. Not the experience I expect from a Westin.

Hotel & Room

Positive: Beautifully designed hotel with unusual artwork. The lobby has several conversation pieces - from the lightbulb filled chandeliers, the giant human head or the plant wall. The rooms are fairly large, quiet and mine provided a beautiful view of the lake, stadium and rock & roll hall of fame.

Negative: The sheets were extremely rough and nothing like the Westin's "heavenly bed." I don't believe that they are 200 thread count - maybe 180 or less. Made sleeping very uncomfortable.

Restaurant

Positive: The restaurant is excellent and I appreciated the fact that they serve local products. People raved about the mac and cheese, but I had a potato pie which was amazing!! Service was excellent and the ambiance and decor were perfect for enjoying dinner with a large group.

Negative: The prices are OUT OF THIS WORLD!!! 1/2 roast chicken was $27 and the cheapest cut of steak was about $45. I was very shocked by these prices, especially given the fact that they serve local products.

I hope that this hotel can improve upon the shortcomings which I experienced. I would give it another try, since it's still fairly new ... but not anytime too soon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank cab5

Dear Cab5,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We have recently opened, and have implemented all the standards including our linens which are 250 count. We are working with our Laundry team to process an exceptional product. Appreciate your comments on our staff, and they truly are fantastic!
Look forward to future visits when you return to Cleveland!