“White Sox Grinder Trip”

The Westin Cleveland Downtown
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Cleveland road trip to see my beloved White Sox. Great hotel, a lake view room is a must when you make your reservation. Hotel restaurant breakfest is wonderful and reasonably priced. The hotel bar is lively and service is good.
If parking a vehicle there is a parking garage directly across the street that is a fraction of the cost of the hotel rate of $30 per day.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view. Many rooms have a terrible view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Robert G
Bob M, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2015

Dear Robert G,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I appreciate your kind comments and look forward to your next visit.

Best regard,

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Some friends were in town this weekend and reserved a room at the Westin for Saturday night. I was planning on driving myself because I have a dog at home and didn't want to interfere with the others plans. Someone mentioned that this may be a pet friendly hotel and when we called, they indicated that they were. We brought the dog and he was treated like one of the most important guests!!!! This eased my mind and I was able to go out with my friends and enjoy myself.
If this wasn't enough, every hotel staff that I came across was SO friendly and accommodating. I mean they didn't just answer questions and help, they were FRIENDLY and engaged in conversation and laughed and joked with me. This is from the outside valets, to the porters to anyone I met walking the hall!!!! It was an incredible experience.
The hotel has just been opened for a couple of months, so everything is new and beautiful. There is a restaurant called Urban Farmer attached and they had amazing food and again, the friendliest, nicest staff I have had the pleasure to meet in a very long time!!!
This is a shining star in a city that is brushing off it's tarnish and shining itself!

Room Tip: Ask for a lakeview. Amazing!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear MarOhio,

WOW! Is right. THANK YOU for staying with us at the Westin Cleveland Downtown and you for your glowing review. I loved reading how at ease our staff put you and your dog! We are so glad you chose to stay with us and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

As many people may have noticed, the Westin is a fairly new addition to downtown Cleveland. While this hotel really can't be rated higher than a three circle right now, I want to preface the following review with this: the pros definitely outweigh the cons, and if management pays attention to things like TripAdvisor reviews, they can become a great hotel.

I booked a club level room using the AAA rate, which, according to the Westin website, included a full breakfast for two. Now, why would I book a club room and choose a package with breakfast when, in theory, the club level includes a breakfast offering. Two reasons: 1) the AAA rate was the same price, and 2) with the hotel being new, not much information was offered about the Club Level and if it was even open on weekends, so I wanted to be safe.

Arrival/Check-In: we arrived fairly late (10p-ish), and got checked-in right away. The receptionist was very nice and welcoming, but here is where problems began. We never received information on our included breakfast. In fairness, I didn't bring it up given the club level offering, but I shouldn't have to tell the hotel what comes in the rate that they offered. Next, while we were on the club floor with club access, she commented how she was "upgrading" us because she thought we were nice. I'm not sure if she was just making pleasantries, or if she honestly thought we were being upgraded, but that's a no-no. I paid extra for those services, so don't pretend like you are giving them to me for free. She did tell us that the lounge was on the same floor as our room, but we weren't given any information as to service times or even general hours of the lounge (no information was in our room, either). The next morning, upon attempt of first use of the lounge, we realized she never added access to our keys, so we had to make another trip down to the lobby (a huge pet peeve of mine).

Room/General Decor: We booked a room with 2 Queen beds. I don't know this for a fact (honestly just an opinion), but I would put money on this property being designed as a W at one point. Don't get me wrong, I loved the design and decor of the property, but everything seemed way too trendy to be a Westin. I do think they utilized the room size very well. The rooms feature 46" TVs which is an awesome feature. Now, the bad. The safe had no electricity going to it and therefore wasn't functional (we couldn't find a power cord). The fridge wasn't plugged in so two of us had to struggle to move the entire desk/tv/dresser unit to plug it in. The shower had no water pressure at all (the first morning I exited the shower and asked my family whom I was staying with, "did you enjoy making out with the shower this morning?", because that is how close you needed to be in order to get wet). Another huge design flaw was the location of the toilet paper holder. I know it may seem petty that I even mention this, but it is a prime example of stupid design without testing. I am 6'2", so I have long legs. Therefore, this placement was not a problem for my parents, but I couldn't even sit on the toilet without removing the toilet paper because it would hit my legs.

Club Lounge: It is technically two floors, because club level rooms are on 22 and suites (which generally include club access)d, are located on 23. There is no signage from the elevator lobby to the lounge, so it took me time to actually find its location. The lounge itself is beautiful, the staff inside was friendly, and offerings for breakfast and cocktail hour were great (evening selection included beer wine and spirits...big plus!). They did suffer from a stocking problem, which I think was a direct result of this desire for presentation (ie. they would only have one or two of each beer out at a time, so they were constantly out of beer)...same thing with the coffee and juices in the morning.

Overall: I think there was good value for the price we paid, but this definitely isn't what the hotel is hoping to charge per night. They had the acceptable rates, but the "prepaid rate" (generally the cheapest rate the hotel offers), was over $150 more per night. They have a long, long, long way to go to charge those amounts.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a lake view. The other view isn't bad, but the lake view is better.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CMHTraveller

Dear CMHTraveller

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. Although you had a pleasant stay, we still were not 100% for your entire stay. We would love to have you visit us again so you can see all the great additions we have made and the strides we have made to fix the issues you may have encounted in our first couple months of being opened.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed here a few weeks back---was impressed by the chic and modern decor. The staff was very friendly; anytime we saw a staff member throughout our stay, they struck up a conversation with us and inquired if they could better accommodate us in any way. Urban Farmer is delicious and a perfect addition to Cleveland's foodie scene. Such a sophisticated addition to CLE--very excited to visit both the city and the Westin again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Peter B,

We appreciate you staying with us at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. It's always a pleasure to read that our staff is accommodating to all of our valued guests.

We look forward to your nexti visit.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Completely re-modeled hotel. Cool lobby. Nice rooms. Friendly and efficient staff. Convenient downtown location, perfect for business traveler or visits to Indians/Browns game or Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear SKI-MRG5,

Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Cleveland Downtown and for your very kind comments.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Excellent! The service was wonderful, the staff polite and very, very accommodating. One thing I loved about the rooms, is where the outlets are. You can actually plug your phones in and anything else you need charged right next to your bed. I travel quite a bit, and I rarely take the soaps, but they were so nice here I asked the front desk if I could have some before I left. They not only gave me a couple, but a nice gift as well. The rooms were very nicely appointed, comfortable beds, very nice linens. And to top it off - great location. Close to wonderful restaurants, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, stadiums, and a little park. One last thing, the food was fabulous. Plus they have a Starbucks right at the hotel. If you're staying in downtown Cleveland stay HERE.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Chan2ce

Dear Chan2ce,

Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I am so glad you had such a great stay with us. We look forward to your next visit - enjoy the soaps!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Upon arrival I was warmly greeted by the front desk staff. After a very efficient check-in I was escorted to the elevators and informed of all of the property amenities. The lobby was beautiful and more designed than a typical Westin. There were more colors and textures which is definitely appreciated as most Westin's come off as monochromatic and unexciting. I was upgraded to a large suite which also had more color and texture than most Westin hotels. I loved everything but the carpet. It was very loud and didn't really fit into the design scheme. The club lounge was two amazing floors and a nice retreat from the city. I was very impressed with Rolanda Heath and Bianca Carr, two staff members in the lounge. They were so attentive, fun to speak to and energetic about working at the Westin. It made spending time in the lounge a pleasure! I really enjoyed the restaurant/bar, the Urban Farmer, as well. The food and drinks were terrific at reasonable prices. I will definitely stay at this property when in Cleveland. Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: Suites are nice but half of the hotel overlooks the lake and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Choose...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank nicholasevans

Dear Diana M,

What an AWESOME review. I was so happy to read your review of our property. I'm so glad that all of our staff took such great care of you!

We look forward to your next visit to the Westin Cleveland Downtown!