“Sat check-in was a nightmare”

The Westin Cleveland Downtown
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Powell, Ohio
“Sat check-in was a nightmare”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

As other reviews have stated this hotel has struggled to have rooms ready on time for high-volume check-ins. We waited nearly two hours on a Saturday well after check-in for our room. I ended up having to pay a bell-hop $20 to go into the back room and get us a key to a room. I was travelling with my wife for a wedding and we missed the first half-hour of the wedding because we had to rush to get ready. The front desk staff and manager went out of their way to be unhelpful. I even asked for a place to change for the wedding and was directed to the lobby bathroom. Not great customer service.

Mark Anderson the general manager did email me promptly after my stay and apologized for the experience. I just wish they had competent management on site during the check-in disaster.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Bab433,

Thank you for choosing the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I was glad to see that you received my personal email to you regarding your visit with us. Again, I apologize for the inconveniences that you and your wife endured while staying at our property. I am very confident that when you return to the Westin Cleveland Downtown you will have a better overall experience.

We look forward to your next visit so we can provide you the quality stay that you deserve.

Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Cleveland
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My wife and I truly enjoyed our one night stay this past weekend. GM Mark R (along with Megan and the rest of the staff was incredible). The place is absolutely beautiful and the on site amenities are top notch! They thought of everything during the remodel and the little details are very impressive. Our two-room suite was perfect and had a great night sleep. The BEST part of this Westin is the on site Steakhouse Urban Farmer. We started with the cheese cart, then the beef tartare, along with oysters (both perfect). My wife had the filet and I had their top of the line ribeye. Up to this point Red the Steakhouse was my fav, not anymore, best ribeye I've ever had!!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BVHBB
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear BVHBILLY,

It was a pleasure to have you and your wife stay with us at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I'm elated to hear what a great time you both had, it means a lot that you enjoy all the fine touches we have put into our hotel. It was wonderful to hear that you took advantage of Urban Farmer and dined with them, it is truly a premier steakhouse.

We look forward to you both returning to the hotel and enjoying our property.

Lakeway, Texas
Reviewed 9 August 2014

This newly renovated property was opened just 6 weeks ago. Service is up to Westin standards. Amenities were good. Nice lobby. Good bar. (Didn't try the food.) Nice layout for meetings. But the building needed 2 more elevators. Making it worse, one of the four was usually down. It consistently took 10 minutes to get a car and to get to the 20th floor ... so take a room on a lower floor! Second, if you are traveling with a companion who is not an intimate companion the sliding bathroom door ... with the window was odd (tempered glass ... but not tempered enough! On the plus side, the shower was nice. Finally, some of the room layouts are odd. I had a great line of site view ... of the commode from my bed.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower floor but still with a lake view.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AustinTravelMan
AutsinTravelMan,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. We are very glad to hear that you appreciate the decor of our newly renovated property. Although all elevators were not functioning during your stay, we look forward to your next visit when they are and then your review will reflect a title of "Amazing".

Thank you again for being our guest at the Westin Cleveland Downtown.

Columbus
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I arrived in the evening on Saturday 8/2/14 and was told by valet there would be a two hour wait for a room since there were so many checkouts that morning. I decided to call and check and was told my room was ready. After 20 mins in line I checked in and went up to my room. To my surprise my room had not been cleaned as there was food still in the fridge and a ruffled bed. I then waited another hour for my room to be cleaned but in the meantime the doorman Dennis Radford was very pleasant and checked on the room as well as assisted me with bags off and on that evening. Thank you Dennis!

Although it was not the best check-in experience, the room was clean, modern, and I had a great view.

• Stayed August 2014
CuteTourist,

Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I am sorry to read about the initial experience you had in regards to checking in and going to a dirty room. However, I was happy to read that Dennis was quick to be of assistance to you and overall your experience with the Westin Cleveland Downtown ended on a positive note.

We look forward to you staying with us again.

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Having recently reopened after an extensive renovation the property was outstanding. As others stated service seems not up to par yet but are very friendly. No pool was a disappointment for my 3 kids. 30 a night to park your car is way to expensive when paying the rates they ask.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Iswigert5,
Thank you for your comments, and hope we can welcome you back in the future!

Regards,
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Four of us spent a Saturday night at this property over the past weekend. The extensive renovations were obvious, as this was probably one of the most modern/updated hotels I've stayed at in recent memory. That is unfortunately where the good ends. We arrived at approximately 7PM, 4 hours after the advertised check-in time. They had two people working at the front desk and dozens of people waiting in lines and dispersed around the lobby. I spent about 90 minutes in line, while my friends, who were waiting on a second room, spent an additional 30 minutes (2 hours total). I can't imagine how the cleaning staff managed to fall so far behind that virtually no rooms were ready between 3PM and 9PM (or that management couldn't call in additional employees in that window to speed up the process). It was like a game between the two front desk employees to see which of them could grab up an available room faster, as they slowly appeared in the computer as "Ready". During this ordeal, dozens of customers were obviously upset and management was nowhere to be found. Further, management made no attempt at any point to offer anything as a means of rectifying the situation. This was by far the worst check-in experience I've ever had.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kasey C
Dear Kasey,
Thank you for your feedback, and we apologize for the delay at check in. While we have recently opened and are improving our service delivery to ensure we meet our guest expectations, we are always disappointed to learn of any challenges.
Franklin
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The Westin is usually one of my favorite hotels, however, housekeeping was completely unprepared for this busy weekend. Many waited hours before they could check in and others checked in only to find their room completely trashed and not cleaned by housekeeping. Obviously a lack of communication between housekeeping and the front desk. There were also so many valets that you felt like you were tripping over them when you walked out the door. The restaurant was wonderful. The good delicious but it wasn't enough to leave a good taste in my mouth because of the apparent under staffed house keeping. Sadly not impressed by this hotel!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank DarleneJohnson120760
Dear Darlene,
Please accept our apology for the delay with check in. We do strive for an exceptional experience, and disappointed that we let you down. We do hope you will give us another try should your travels take you back to Cleveland!