“I thought it was great”

Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Columbus, Ohio
“I thought it was great”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I'm not sure why there are negative reviews of this place. Interior is impeccable. Rooms are nice with new everything. Glass shower wall, led lighting, crisp white comforters, modern bath. Service was fine to me. I did not see any issues. But I am not very high maintenance and I usually stay in 2-3 star hotels. I got a good deal on this one and it was well worth it. Location is great. Short walk to downtown entertainment area and casino.

Only complaint was the $30 overnight parking! And I asked the valet if there were any cheaper alternatives and he said he didn't know. Well you can just about see the $11 parking across the street from there. Ii ended up parking at a lot for $13 a couple blocks away because it was open on the weekends. Many were not.

Room Tip: North side will give you a good view of the lake. South side will give you a good view of the city s...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank bobotron
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear bobotron,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. It was great to see that you thoroughly enjoyed our property. Daily we put a lot of thought and caring into our property and I'm pleased to see that it flowed over to your stay.

I look forward to you coming back again to the Westin Cleveland Downtown.

Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Kent, Ohio
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a last-minute overnight stay in Cleveland after the Gay Games 9 closing ceremony.

The positives: well-designed hotel with modern, clean and well-appointed rooms. Loved the room doors that didn't require a swipe, and the ambiance. Modern lobby with fast elevators.

The negatives that slightly ruined the experience here: the front desk staff. Rude, slow and seemingly fake and not at all genuine. No toiletries when I needed them- this is a 4 star hotel at a premium price that doesn't offer toiletries. I was told by the front desk to put my contact lenses in a cup with water for the night. When I left the front desk after asking for some basic toiletries, I watched the two clerks get together to gossip about me for being a "free spirit." If you don't want last-minute "free spirit" bookings, don't offer day-of Priceline deals!

Service is everything to me and I'll take the Marriott down the street over this hotel any day because of that. I'm Gold Elite there and shouldn't have gone off my usual beaten path!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John H
Dear John H,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Westin Cleveland Downtown while you were in town enjoying the Gay Games 9! It was great to see the excitement in the city surrounding the games and that you chose to stay with us.

As a new property we are working out some kinks and rest assured when you return you will have a much better experience - I cannot guarantee we will have contact lens cases/solution, but you will be pleased with our property.

Thank you again for staying with us at the Westin Cleveland Downtown.

Welwyn, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I stayed here one night on business and the hotel has recently (May 2014) been refurbished.

My room (1703) was lovely inside, plenty of room, view of the lake, nice bathroom and a good shower. Bed was excellent and also plenty of power points to charge laptop/phone/ipad etc. Beside the bed there was a clock radio which also had an IPhone docking point to charge your phone.

However, my room was close to the lift and so was noisy with people walking past I got woken up. I also had an joining room and you could here everything on the guy next door was doing though the door.

The coffee machine didn't work, it put hot water all over the place. The ironing board was the cheapest thing I'd ever seen. I put it up to iron my shirt and then couldn't put it down. I was scared to be to forceful with it and I thought it might snap. There was also only one bottle of water in the room.

So a nice hotel and good service when I checked in etc however for $255 a night it's just not good enough. There is valet only parking at $30 for 24hrs and no self park but if you look across the road you can park for $11 and that's valet parking to.

The little touches are missing and I came away wishing I'd stayed elsewhere even though it wasn't my money paying.

Room Tip: Park across the road it's much cheaper and ask for a room away from the lift (elevator)
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Colin_Welwyn
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Colin_Welwyn,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I was disappointed to read that you had struggles with noise, concerns regarding your ironing board, and that your coffee maker didn't work appropriately. We are still finalizing the "little touches" throughout the hotel; I am confident if you have the opportunity to stay with us again you will experienced them.

I'm sorry to hear that you left feeling you wished you'd stayed elsewhere; please feel free to contact me directly should you like to discuss your stay in greater detail. I can be reached at mark.anderson@westincleveland.com

Willow Grove
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I enjoyed my 4 night stay here.
I had no issues with check-in or check-out.I arrived before 2pm and room was ready.Check-in was quick as was check-out.
I was busy with work and did not get to enjoy the location as much as possible.
Elevators seemed to be an issue but repairmen were there every day and seemed to get better.
The attached bar was a nice place to stop off for a nightcap.
Room was very quiet and good sized.
Bathroom was a little different-I had never seen a shower with no curtain or door-just a glass partition but surprisingly no water went out on to the floor.
Central location was close to everything in downtown area but at least 10 minutes from most places if you have mobility issues.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views,either of city or lake depending on which side of building. South s...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear EasternYurp,

I am glad that you chose the Westin Cleveland Downtown for your four day stay in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was happy to read that you had such a positive experience with us as that is our goal to make your time away from your home more personal and enjoyable.

I hope the next time you stay with us at the Westin Cleveland Downtown you will be able to enjoy more of our hotel and also the city.

NYC
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Well, we were delighted by the valet staff when we pulled into this oasis in Downtown Cleveland. Efficient, warm and friendly – and above all patient as we ransacked our car looking for the items we would need for our overnight stay. Unfortunately, the warmth did not convey to the front desk. Don’t know if our receptionist was new or painfully shy, but she simply expended just enough energy to be cooly cordial. I think she actually cringed when my luggage nearly tipped over the roped divide. Embarrassing for me to say the least – she didn’t have to make it worse! But, like I said, her lack of warmth was more than made up for by the wonderful front door staff all of whom greeted us with smiles and comments when we went in and out. The hotel itself is a bit of a surprise. Clearly and old building, it has been redone in very euro-chic coloring and design. It’s not our favorite décor, but we were definitely impressed by the ability to update what must have been tired rooms. It’s a fun stay. We thought it a little expensive, but we did not price-shop because we liked the location so cannot speak to how its prices fit in the Cleveland marketplace.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank babettetravels
Dear Babettetravels,

Thank you for choosing the Westin Cleveland Downtown. It was a pleasure to read your review that our staff was overall warm and welcoming. I appreciate your kind words regarding the massive renovations that our property endured. I am very proud of our location downtown Cleveland, Ohio as we are in the center of it all; a beautiful lakefront and an ever growing entertainment district.

I look forward to your next visit when you are in the Cleveland area.

Powell, Ohio
Reviewed 13 August 2014

As other reviews have stated this hotel has struggled to have rooms ready on time for high-volume check-ins. We waited nearly two hours on a Saturday well after check-in for our room. I ended up having to pay a bell-hop $20 to go into the back room and get us a key to a room. I was travelling with my wife for a wedding and we missed the first half-hour of the wedding because we had to rush to get ready. The front desk staff and manager went out of their way to be unhelpful. I even asked for a place to change for the wedding and was directed to the lobby bathroom. Not great customer service.

Mark Anderson the general manager did email me promptly after my stay and apologized for the experience. I just wish they had competent management on site during the check-in disaster.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Bab433,

Thank you for choosing the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I was glad to see that you received my personal email to you regarding your visit with us. Again, I apologize for the inconveniences that you and your wife endured while staying at our property. I am very confident that when you return to the Westin Cleveland Downtown you will have a better overall experience.

We look forward to your next visit so we can provide you the quality stay that you deserve.

Cleveland
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My wife and I truly enjoyed our one night stay this past weekend. GM Mark R (along with Megan and the rest of the staff was incredible). The place is absolutely beautiful and the on site amenities are top notch! They thought of everything during the remodel and the little details are very impressive. Our two-room suite was perfect and had a great night sleep. The BEST part of this Westin is the on site Steakhouse Urban Farmer. We started with the cheese cart, then the beef tartare, along with oysters (both perfect). My wife had the filet and I had their top of the line ribeye. Up to this point Red the Steakhouse was my fav, not anymore, best ribeye I've ever had!!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BVHBB
Mark A, General Manager at The Westin Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear BVHBILLY,

It was a pleasure to have you and your wife stay with us at the Westin Cleveland Downtown. I'm elated to hear what a great time you both had, it means a lot that you enjoy all the fine touches we have put into our hotel. It was wonderful to hear that you took advantage of Urban Farmer and dined with them, it is truly a premier steakhouse.

We look forward to you both returning to the hotel and enjoying our property.