“Cabins are cool!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in College Corner
Ohio
“Cabins are cool!”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We enjoyed our stay at Hueston Woods cabins (cottages), which are located near the lodge. (The check-in is handled by the lodge, by the way, so from my quick visit, the lodge looked very promising!)

At first glance, the cabin seemed impossibly small for the two of us and our dog. But the cabins contain everything you need, just tucked into a small space. We spent most of our time hiking, cooking out, and visiting attractions, so it's more than fine when the weather is nice.

Our cabin had a nice kitchenette, complete with dinnerware and dishtowels. Tiny refrigerator and no freezer in our case, so don't go overboard buying refrigerated food. We enjoyed relaxing in the evening on the couch or at the picnic table in front of the cabin.

(Also, not all cabins permit pets, so check to be sure when you reserve yours.)

FYI, the cabins are tucked far back in the property, so you'll need to drive to get to the beach, lodge, or marina.

One small complaint: I had a geocaching app that I was eager to try out, but reception was so poor I couldn't get service. The cabin wifi is also very poor, so give up your gadgets and just enjoy the great outdoors!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank OhioTina
Tom A, General Manager at Hueston Woods Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
We really appreciate your kind comments about our couples cabins and thank you for taking the time to let everyone know about Hueston Woods! You will see all kinds of wildlife while hiking one of our many trails. We are always running great lodging specials and packages so I hope you return to enjoy the park again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

This is the second time we have had a family reunion at Hueston Woods. The first time we all stayed in cabins and this time we were split in lodge and cabins. I was pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness and modernness of the lodge rooms. It was very clean, though the shower was not fantastic, it was adequate. The beds were very comfortable and linens pristine. Have stayed in Indiana lodges many times and loved the dining areas. Was not quite as pleased with dinner at HW but the breakfast was very nice. Staff that we met were wonderful!! Maid staff were more than accommodating and lady who made the omelets was most pleasant. The front desk lady went out of her way to help me fax documents and even print. Really helped me out. Wifi was spotty to say the least, but we are there to disconnect anyway. We will definitely be back. One of our favorites.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Beth W
Tom A, General Manager at Hueston Woods Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, 9 October 2014
Thank you for having your family reunion here and telling everyone all about it! We do many family reunions of all sizes each year. Families seem to like the fact that we have so many activities to choose from at the lodge and in the park. We hope to see you back again!
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This is a somewhat older facility that has been well maintained. It offers a rustic décor that fits with the state park setting. The facility itself is quite nice. The spacious lobby offers a good view of the lake. In addition, there are multiple smaller lobby-like seating areas throughout the hotel. Amenities include indoor and outdoor swimming pools as well as a large game room in addition to all the amenities of the park itself. Our room was a reasonable size, but not quite as large as most hotel rooms. The room included a desk and desk chair, but there was no electric outlet at the desk. We did have a great view of the lake from the private balcony. The bathroom was small with a small counter, but the shelf underneath provided adequate storage space. The bathroom had no tub, just a shower, but it was one of those with multiple jets at various levels. The room rate was quite reasonable, particularly considering all the amenities available.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CFH_NOLA
We really appreciate the great review and thank you for taking the time to let everyone know about your stay! Sitting on one of our decks overlooking Acton Lake is a great way to relax and enjoy mother nature. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the staff and we hope you return to enjoy the lodge and all this beautiful park has to offer.
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We went to Hueston Woods state park for a family reunion weekend, this is the second time that we chose this location. Our family had two cabins and two rooms at the lodge. This park is beautiful and has a great variety of activities for all ages (hiking, boating, fishing, horse back, bikes, fossil hunting, paintball, geocaching, swimming). The cabins are nice and are a great area for large families to gather. The lodge is good also, with a mix of rustic plus some modern amenities (wi-fi, plenty of plugs for electronics). Only downside was lack of cell service depending upon your provider and where you are in the park. Wi-fi is avail in all cabins, lodge, marina and nature center, but part of the point of going to the state park is to unplug. Also, if you time it right, go to the Nature Center for the bird show and cougar feeding. Very educational and fun for all ages. We will certainly be back here again in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lake have a nice view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank David W
Tom A, General Manager at Hueston Woods Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for the wonderful feedback. Everyone on the Hueston Woods team works hard to provide our guests with a positive experience, and comments like these make it all worthwhile. I am thrilled that your family was able to enjoy all the activities the park has to offer and we look forward to welcoming your family back again soon!
Franklin
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I went July 4, 2014, and was put in a cabin that smelled terrible if mold or mildew, ask to b moved, no other available which I found out they gave our cabin to another family who had this same issue and demanded to b moved, I had to have my father find a store nearby to purchase febreeze, and candles which helped a lot , day 2 my mom and dad went on a ride on their Harley for the day and were to meet me back at cabin in time for fireworks, long story short they never came back to cabin left their truck and personal property , I thought they were in wreck or something, no phone or internet service, come to find out, they were DENIED entrance back into their own cabin by HOUSTON WOODs park officer who was directing fireworks traffic, he demanded to see a key, they couldn't produce one because I had the only cabin key, so they were basicly thrown in street at 930 pm, could not get entrance into lodge for help due to traffic and closed off for fireworks. They split the cost with me ( $670 for 2 nights) and were denied entrance the second night!! I spent that night alone with my 2 kids scared to death something happened to them only to find this out, so I called their office and spoke to regional manager and told him my experience and he says he will credit my stay , we'll guess what the so called credited stay was a mere $100 credit back to my account! Really! Will never go back again ever ! Beach is nasty also smells if urine and is covered with poop, so u cannot sit anywhere on it! Total shock and ruined family trip! Don't waste your money ! $330 per night after taxes! Total waste!

• Stayed July 2014
7 Thank Billie5271
Cincinnati
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed at the lodge recently with my three girls and they are still talking about all the fun the had!

The rooms were clean and the view was priceless! We really enjoyed the indoor and outdoor pooll

The only negative thing I might have is that the dining room staff seemed a little short on help. We arrived at 6:15 at a half full dining room and was told to come back in 20 minutes. Not sure why?? The food was good and my kids really enjoyed the carryout pizza the next night!

We went horseback riding one day ($20.00 for a 35-40 min ride) and my kids loved it. Be prepared to wear muddy shoes as the trails are a mess! We did have a great time though.

I want to give out a special thanks to Sam who is in charge of the recreation time with the kids. We played bingo and other activities that my kids could win game room tokens. Great job Sam!!

I would recommend!

Room Tip: Lake side is the best side!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank cincyred
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent experience at Hueston Woods. I am thrilled to learn that your stay was enjoyable and have taken the liberty to share your comments with my staff. I know they appreciate positive feedback just as much as I do. Sam, our Recreation Director does a great job with the kids and I'm glad to hear your children enjoyed the activities. Please visit us again; we look forward to welcoming you back!
Kewanee, Illinois
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Our family reunion was here. Cabins were all clean and nice; and the lodge rooms too. The lodge hall is a nice place for large family gatherings. Plenty to do. The lake wasn't as exciting for fishing as we had expected, but we made up for it in other ways. The restaurant is not recommended. We had to wait two hours to be served one night, and they made up for it (to their credit) by offering our entire group free pizza and soda the next night. That was nice, but still, it shouldn't have happened, and it cut into our vacation time.

Room Tip: Some of the cabins are near the lake, and might be a better choice.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank BFE26
Thank you very much for your response. Feedback from our guests is a important management tool and I value it highly. I apologize for your experience in the dining room. That certainly is not typical for our restaurant and I have met with the dining room team to ensure our guests have a positive experience. Once again thank you for being a guest at Hueston Woods and I hope you return to enjoy the level of hospitality I know we are capable of providing.
Also consider these accommodations in or near College Corner
#1 of 1 in Hamilton
The Elms Hotel
The Elms Hotel
#4 of 8 in Oxford

Been to Hueston Woods Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!