“Another great stay”

Red Roof Inn & Suites Columbus West Broad
Ranked #84 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed 21 January 2013

This trip was different as I had my girlfriend with me this time. It was a moderately quiet stay. Still a lot of guests coming back from the casino at anywhere between 11pm and 1am and they're a bit noisy.

This is the second time I've been assigned a room that was not OK. The time before this very last stay they checked me into a room that was still occupied. This time, the room had no microwave or fridge. Sadface.

They did have a new keycard ready for me when I called them about the issue and it was corrected immediately.

LOVING the new TV upgrades! Very nice touch.

The second floor stair door on the east side of the hotel is not closing properly and slams pretty hard. Get a room away from that area if you can.

Still didn't get a chance to use the pool or exercise facilities this time, but the pool looked fine.

Otherwise, a good stay as usual!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Red Roof Inn & Suites Columbus West Broad

Reviewed 17 December 2012 via mobile

Stairwell door slams hard all night, thin walls, outdated, womens panties stuffed in a towel cubby, 1/8 of 1 roll of toilet paper. Old Tube TV with no channel guide. Bed was big but uncomfortable. I probably will not be back. Price was low, as expected with this rating.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank BHamp
i0735, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Columbus West Broad, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2012

Hello Valued Guest,

Your review suggests that you have encountered more than one problem during your recent visit, and for that I would like to apoligize.

We take room cleanliness very seriously and we double check all of our rooms after they have been cleaned to ensure that no mistakes have been made. As the rest of the us, nobody is perfect and mistakes do happen so please excuse this very rare incident.

Our building structure is relativley old, however, we are constant upgrading and maintaing mode to keep the building as updated as we possibly can. Our rooms have been last renovated in summer 2011 and so in our efforts to ensure guest satisfaction we are constantly making strides in renovating/upgrading.

As for the tube TV's, great news! We just finished instillation of our all brand new 37' inch flat screen TV's. We hope our new TV's make our value more greater than what the guest pay.

I thank you for taking the time to writing about your experience and hope that your next stay will be a great one!

Thank You!

Reviewed 25 October 2012

I stayed here while I was in town for a one night stay for work. The location for me was not the most ideal, but that is not the hotel's fault. Lots of construction around the area made it a nightmare to go anywhere! Room was very nice, no issues at all! Beds were clean and comfortable, had a desk area to work, a chair to lounge, the bathroom was spacious & shower was great (& clean), Room had wifi access and high speed internet port, which was very convenient. The breakfast was typical but they did offer sausage biscuits & gravy, which was decent. Have an indoor pool but the water was green, so I didn't venture in. Desk staff all friendly & accomodating, even allowing me to have an early check-in (for a $20 fee, but it was 7:30am) and late check-out. Overall, I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: October 2012
i0735, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Columbus West Broad, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2012

Thank you SBH80! I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found your room more than useful for your needs.

The construction in the area is part of the great restoration of the area and being the closest hotel to the NEW Hollywood Casino will be great for all travelers to make their drives easier to get to anywhere in the great city of Columbus.

The next time you stop by, please ask us about many of the great things to in the area, you will not be dissapointed for what the area has to offer.

Reviewed 23 October 2012

Was a little nervous going to this location after a recent post about bed bugs, but took my chances as that problem is so bad that the city of Columbus focuses on the issue in their traveler's guide, stating that all hotels in the area and the city are doing what they can to minimize the growth of this problem. I took proper precautions such as bagging all clothing in my suitcase, as well as all other items, and taking another plastic bag to store dirty items. When we arrived I searched the room thoroughly for any signs of infestation, but found none. Unfortunately, you are taking a risk in any hotel regardless of location, room rates or age of property.

With that said, my husband and I stayed a total of two nights and no bed bugs or other critters were found. The management stated that they aggressively treat areas where they have been spotted and apparently that is true. The room was clean, odor free, and attractive. No flat screen TV but TV that was in the room had a large enough screen and was in good working order. Wireless service was quick and no problems were encountered. Lobby was inviting and breakfast was adequate...more offerings than I have had at other Red Roof locations. Pool and exercise equipment available, but I did not use either. Beds were comfortable and bathroom was clean and larger than others in other Red Roof locations. This Red Roof is a renovated Holiday Inn Express which explains the difference in style and size of rooms. We were there on a Sunday and Monday night so there were not many people there and noise was at a minimum. Elevator was not working so we requested a room on the 1st floor and got one without a problem. Was at the end of the hall near the side door with easy access from the back lot.

With the new Hollywood Casino within 5 minutes away, they are in a prime location and hopefully the increase in clients and revenue will allow them to upgrade and keep up with new hotels that may come into the area. Hopefully their new neighbor will allow this tired neighborhood to become vibrant once again. You can tell that they have experienced a economical decline with a lot of "dead" stores, shopping centers and malls and the new casino will hopefully make the area come back to life with new stores, restaurants and other hotels. Hopefully the people who live in the area have found jobs there which will futher help the economy. Witnessed some shop lifting in the shopping area across the street from a distance, so lock your doors and be alert. Lots of traffic congestion because of work on the bypass and 270 is a mess! Once that gets corrected, it is an easy 15 minute drive to Scioto Downs as well.

Two notes regarding Red Roof...they could use new carpet in the hallways or at least a deep cleaning of the carpet and more lighting in the parking lot.

If you are planning a trip to the casino, give this Red Roof a try and make your own decision. I am glad I took the chance. A great stay with a great room rate!

Room Tip: Make sure elevator is working if not on the first floor.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank grainbowjudy

Wow! That was a very well put together review! Thank you for taking your valuable time to write a review about our property. I am glad you see the efforts we put fourth to make sure our guest have a great and comfortable stay while visiting our property.

You had mentioned bringing in revenues to constantly upgrade hotel decor, furniture, TVs etc. We have a firm belief that our guests should get more for than what they pay and so our revenues will indeed go back into the hotel to keep our future guests satisfied.

Once again I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel and look forward to see you soon!

Reviewed 16 October 2012

Blah. I've stayed at this hotel the past 3 times I've been in Columbus visiting my girlfriend. This hotel has definitely declined since I last stayed here in July.

The Hotel is now located very near to the largest casino in Ohio (actually, you can walk to the hotel and back from the casino, it's about 2 city blocks away). The casino opened between the last time I stayed there and this time (this last weekend, I checked in Oct 11). The hotel looks the same, but now that the casino is there, there are a TON of people that get back from the casino at anywhere between 11-1am every night and they're usually some form of intoxicated. It's not quiet anymore. The pool has declined as well, I was going to swim but the water was murky, like it hadn't been cleaned in a few days.

The room was clean and orderly as usual. As a matter of fact, I got the same room I had on my very first visit. Apparently something happened to the A/C unit/heater in the room, it did not like to stay on. It was always borderline too warm in the room so I'd just keep the fan on to pull the 55F air in from the outside, except after about a minute the fan would turn off by itself, so I'd have to get back up to turn it back on. In the middle of the night it usually was very warm in the room without any heat on.

Service was still above average, quick check in, quick checkout. Friendly staff. The casino is definitely going to have me look at another alternate hotel for a return visit in a couple of months. It's not desirable at all.

Room Tip: Room away from the elevator. The elevator is very noisy.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 October 2012

We went to an Ohio State football game, and stayed here because it was one of the few hotels, with vacancies. (that should have been the first clue!) We reserved three rooms. The football game was a late game, so we didn't check in until after midnight. The hotel did not appear to be too run down, but could have been cleaner. It wasn't until morning, that we were mortified. We found a bug crawling on our bed, and after some "googling" discovered it was a bed bug!!!! My husband, carried it down to the front desk, and the front desk clerk knew exactly what it was and didn't appear too alarmed. She wasn't able to give us a refund because we booked through hotels.com. She did offer us a free night stay if we would come back.....ummmm, no thank you! She willingly handed over extra large garbage bags, so all three of our rooms could bag up our belongings. After researching, it appears bed bugs are becoming a widespread problem and are not only found at dirty places. So, I understand they can be anywhere, but as a hotel, to offer no discount or refund for the room, I find completely unacceptable! Not to mention the fact that I am covered with bites! So gross! We contacted hotels.com after returning home, and they gave us a fifty percent discount on one room out of three and a twenty dollar voucher to use for a future reservation. Upon researching bed bugs further, if you get them in your home, it is extremely expensive to have them eradicated. We have treated all of our belongings that were in the hotel room. We are grateful we saw the bug, otherwise we would have been clueless, and possibly wrote the bites off to mosquitos from tailgating. Hoping to save other travelers the unnecessary worry, a possible nightmare and their money!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank BGSUGIRLIE
i0735, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Columbus West Broad, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I firstly want to apoligize for your bad expierence with us, this is unusual for guest who stay with us.

I am glad to know you realize that bed bugs are a huge problem in today's day and age. We take every precaution with beg bugs by having rooms inspected and treated by a pest control company. Though we try our hardest to prevent this big issue, rare cases as yours may arise in which guest encounter the gruesome pest.

We do not take matters such as bed bugs lightly and treat every room if a single spec of evidence from bed bugs show up.

If a guest as yourself encounters a bed bug, we offer a full refund and if you have made a reservation through a third party site, we inform that company to refund your money for we strongly believe that no guest should come across these pests.

I want to reassure that we take every precaution to prevent bed bugs and we have a zero tolerance for them.

General Manger

Reviewed 14 July 2012

We went as a family. They had ants everywhere. Did not have nothing near by to order from. My son had a accident in the bed. And they did not even have extra bed clothes to give us. ... I WILL NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN. IT WAS THE WORST PLACE I HAVE EVER STAYED AT. ..

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
i0735, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Columbus West Broad, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am sorry we fell short of our goal which is 100% guest satisfaction. I will speak to the FD GSR about the proper procedures to follow when this type of incident occurs in the future. We do have extra terry and linen on site so I don’t understand why our GSR would think we did not have it available. Either way I will speak with my staff. As for restaurants we have Bob Evans, Waffle House, Roosters, Tim Horton’s and Arby’s. All of these are within .5 of a mile.

In addition, we have renovated all the bathrooms, building exterior and added fresh fruit to our continental breakfast.

Again, I apologize we fell short of our goal to provide 100% satisfaction. I hope that you will give us another chance in the future.

Mtg.