“You get what you pay for: a dirty pool”

Red Roof Inn & Suites Columbus West Broad
Ranked #88 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Cincinnati, Ohio
“You get what you pay for: a dirty pool”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Found a cheap rate for this hotel on hotels.com. The addition of the indoor pool is what made me decide on this place. We arrived on Tuesday and were promptly checked in. We glanced at the pool and it looked disgusting. Like it hadn't been filtered. The floors surrounding the front desk were dirty with cigarette butts and old bandaids.

The room was nice enough. Big, with two comfy queen size beds. The tv was nice with a decent cable selection.

The hotel is located directly off of I270. Road noise was an issue.

The clientele leaves less to be desired. At night, our neighbors felt it was a good idea to smoke pot in their bathroom. The smell of marijuana would waft into our room if we left the bathroom door open. I can't fault the hotel for that.

The air conditioner unit in our room (302) kept shutting off and I had to keep resetting it throughout the night. That combined with our stoner neighbors made for a restless night.

All in all, it was a stay in a hotel. It wasn't exceptional, but when you're paying 70 bucks, don't expect the Ritz Carlton.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank VanHammersly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

I reserved two adjoining rooms for my 12yo daughter's birthday. She had a few friends stay with us in the room. Around 4am my daughter woke up with bites all over her hip/thigh. We found a bedbug on her pillow. (I know what a bedbug looks like as I have had to go through training for my job.) I took my daughter, my phone with photos and the actual bug to the front desk. The woman stated that they have not had problems with bedbugs on the 2nd floor recently and I would need to speak to the manager in the morning. At this point, I had not requested compensation. I was truly concerned about notifying the hotel of the problem for prevention.

Upon checking out, I told the woman at the desk. She demanded to see the photos (and rudely took my phone from me insisting that she see the time/date stamp for the photos). I showed her the actual bug. She suggested that we could have brought the bug with us. At this point, I was heated. She thought that it was funny that I was upset. She told me "well if you are so concerned about your daughter then you should call an ambulance to get her". To add insult to injury, she told me that I had to leave the washcloth that I had captured the bug in or she would charge me $5. I honestly have never dealt with someone like her. I treat others with respect and usually receive the same treatment in return. I can't believe that she thought that I brought a bug to the hotel, let it bite my daughter (the bites were fresh when I took her to the desk) and complained about it. She thought that it was funny that a bug had feasted on my 12yo daughter. Seriously???

I requested a full refund for both rooms. She stated that she had to have her exterminator look at the room and would contact me within 2 weeks. It has been much longer than 2 weeks and I have not heard from her. I'm really not surprised.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Rhonda B
Laurel, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

Have stayed here about 10 times and it is a good value. It was newly renovated when I first started staying here but has aged since then. Not terrible, but not what it was. The rooms are clean and well maintained. It is convenient to the Casino and multiple restaurants. The staff has always been courteous and helpful. My only real complaint is the "breakfast" it is lacking so don't expect much as there is no "kitchen" on the premises; bagels, muffins, coffee...that's about it. There is a Wafflehouse and McDonalds directly across the street, so not all is lost :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank restlesslb
Greenville, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

I wanted to try another Red Roof Inn since the last one was not the greatest but the one before that one in Kentucky was great so I was hopeful that some Red Roof Inns were better than another. Yes this is true. This Red Roof Inn on Broadway was excellent. I have to travel for my job to Columbus. The bed was soft, the room didn't stink and it was very quiet. The bathroom was beautiful too. I liked this place so much, I stayed again a couple weeks later. I have a swimming pool at my house and we are crazy about making sure the water is always clear. I did notice that the pool water at this motel was very cloudy but children were in it having fun.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank pbrtrails
i0735, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Columbus West Broad, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Warm Greetings PBRtrails,

Wow! Your comments about your recent stay with us are very generous and on behalf the staff and I we would like to thank you! It is rewarding to us to see that guests have a great time and then share their experience with others.

I am glad you noted that we are a hotel that appeal to all sorts of travelers and with our upcoming remodeling project coming up soon, I hope to see that guests are even more comfortable in their rooms.

We hope to see you again!

Thank You!

indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

my wife and I needed a room close to Ohio State Med center to visit her mother. we also wanted to go to the Casino. this facility offered us both. we were 15 min. from the hospital and 5 min. away from the Casino. the room was surprisingly very clean and comfortable. we stayed the 2nd night because we felt safe and very welcome The pool does need cleaned better. it was somewhat cloudy. The staff was all nice. We would go back.

Room Tip: rom 113 in the door to the right and your there. no noise no problems. very clean room. ground floo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Mgambler,

I would like you for taking the time to share your recent experience on tripadvisor. It certainly means a lot to us when guest take the time to share their experience at our hotel.

As you mentioned we are in close proximity of the casino which is great for guest looking to have a great time. Our location is ideal for guests to get to any area in Columbus in a short period of time.

We hope to see you in the near future, and expect to see upgraded rooms in the near future!

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

We frequent many types of hotels, on business and for pleasure. I have found that many reviews people post tend to center around their own personal issues surrounding their stay with a hotel (e.g., water not soft enough, desk manager rude, bed not comfy enough, etc.). When I review I try to stick to safety and cleanliness as the reigning criteria for a 2 to 3 star hotel. With that being said, I was very happy with how clean the rooms were and how safe my family felt. Furthermore, the pool was AWESOME. It was small, in comparison to some hotel pools, but it was great to wade in (as it was nicely heated). My 8-yr old daughter loved it and my husband and I used it to unwind.

The front desk staff, Sandy, was very helpful with finding restaurants and just overall nice to chat with. We enjoyed our stay and would most certainly stay again if we were traveling back this way.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
i0735, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Columbus West Broad, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thank You for taking the time to go and review our hotel. We certainly appreciate guests that go out of their way to take the time and write reviews for other guests to see.

It is nice to see that you have an open mind to hotels that are rated in the 2-3 star category. Our property may be a 3 star hotel, however, we want the guest to have a 5 star experience with lost pricing.

On behalf of the staff here, I am certainly happy that you have enjoyed your stay here and that you will be a returning guest. We look forward to seeing you in the near future!
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

I am a Redicard member and I reserved my room online at the Redroof site and reserved an ADA room with Micro and Fridge. I have bad feet and hips and the ground floors are better for me hence the choice for an ADA room. The room had no Micro and Fridge. The front desk girl looked for a micro and fridge as she stated they must have been removed from my room. She ended up having to move me to the 3rd floor to a room where there was a micro and fridge. There was an elevator but I still had to take all my items from the first room up to the third floor and when I went to my car to retrieve a few more items my key card did not work in the side door. I reported this but it could not be fixed. My AC/Heater knob was broken and I the front desk girl came and got it set for me. And... there was blood on the phone next to the bed. Housekeeping never showed up with a disinfectant to clean the phone, as promised. Front Desk girl was very professional and did all she could. I travel 10 days out of each month and stay at RR hotels for the most part. Though pretty rooms, not a pleasant stay and I will not stay there again.

Room Tip: Inspect your room immediately to make sure it is really clean and that appliances work.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business