“Smelly room” 3 of 5 bubbles

Red Roof Inn & Suites Columbus West Broad
Ranked #85 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
“Smelly room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

I'm currently sitting in the room and it reeks. I understand it's a smoking room and it was the only one available but this is disgusting. Thank god for bed bug disinfectant spray, I don't trust these beds. These beds are also hard as a rock. I know I'm not going to get a good night's sleep tonight due to this. Bathroom wasn't bad, it was stained and water stains on the mirrors. Since it's on the highway I'm sure the road will keep me up all night. I will not be staying here ever again nor suggest anyone stay here.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
i0735, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Columbus West Broad, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Good day to our important guest,

When booking a room, guests rely on picture and guest reviews to make the decision to stay at a certain hotel. Some reviews are on point, some are skewed. A smelly room is something no guest want stay in.

Part of our problem is our carpet. Carpet can get old, worn out, and start to retain smell. Even after our bi-annual carpet shampoo for all areas of the hotel, the carpet will never be the same. Which is why we have decided to completely get rid of the carpet and put in a hardwood vinyl!

We hope with this major change we can eliminate a lot of the common problems that carpet presents to guests (smell, allergies, cleanliness).

Please come see us soon to see the changes we are in the process of making!

Thank you!

General manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Somerset, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

Booked a room back in March 2014 for the Rock on the Range festival 3 day event. Got to the hotel about midnight (by the way, I did use a credit card to reserve the room so I could arrive late) told the lady at the counter my name, and she tells me there is no one by that name with reservations. So I showed her my confirmation email that proves I indeed had a room booked for the weekend. She types in my booking number and she says, oh that was canceled at 5:25 pm today and couldn't tell me why It was canceled. So there I am with no where to stay, because all the hotels within a 80 mile radius was booked. So I had to drive back home miss the following 2 days of rock and out of about $200 worth of tickets.

Room Tip: Your best bet is to not stay at a RedRoof inn.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

People that work there are unfriendly, rude and have no idea what customer service and do not care about the customer. Curtain and pillow case had blood on them at arrival, gross! This just reminds me that sometimes you do only get what you pay for as the room rate is low

• Stayed April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Found a cheap rate for this hotel on hotels.com. The addition of the indoor pool is what made me decide on this place. We arrived on Tuesday and were promptly checked in. We glanced at the pool and it looked disgusting. Like it hadn't been filtered. The floors surrounding the front desk were dirty with cigarette butts and old bandaids.

The room was nice enough. Big, with two comfy queen size beds. The tv was nice with a decent cable selection.

The hotel is located directly off of I270. Road noise was an issue.

The clientele leaves less to be desired. At night, our neighbors felt it was a good idea to smoke pot in their bathroom. The smell of marijuana would waft into our room if we left the bathroom door open. I can't fault the hotel for that.

The air conditioner unit in our room (302) kept shutting off and I had to keep resetting it throughout the night. That combined with our stoner neighbors made for a restless night.

All in all, it was a stay in a hotel. It wasn't exceptional, but when you're paying 70 bucks, don't expect the Ritz Carlton.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank VanHammersly
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

I reserved two adjoining rooms for my 12yo daughter's birthday. She had a few friends stay with us in the room. Around 4am my daughter woke up with bites all over her hip/thigh. We found a bedbug on her pillow. (I know what a bedbug looks like as I have had to go through training for my job.) I took my daughter, my phone with photos and the actual bug to the front desk. The woman stated that they have not had problems with bedbugs on the 2nd floor recently and I would need to speak to the manager in the morning. At this point, I had not requested compensation. I was truly concerned about notifying the hotel of the problem for prevention.

Upon checking out, I told the woman at the desk. She demanded to see the photos (and rudely took my phone from me insisting that she see the time/date stamp for the photos). I showed her the actual bug. She suggested that we could have brought the bug with us. At this point, I was heated. She thought that it was funny that I was upset. She told me "well if you are so concerned about your daughter then you should call an ambulance to get her". To add insult to injury, she told me that I had to leave the washcloth that I had captured the bug in or she would charge me $5. I honestly have never dealt with someone like her. I treat others with respect and usually receive the same treatment in return. I can't believe that she thought that I brought a bug to the hotel, let it bite my daughter (the bites were fresh when I took her to the desk) and complained about it. She thought that it was funny that a bug had feasted on my 12yo daughter. Seriously???

I requested a full refund for both rooms. She stated that she had to have her exterminator look at the room and would contact me within 2 weeks. It has been much longer than 2 weeks and I have not heard from her. I'm really not surprised.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Rhonda B
Laurel, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

Have stayed here about 10 times and it is a good value. It was newly renovated when I first started staying here but has aged since then. Not terrible, but not what it was. The rooms are clean and well maintained. It is convenient to the Casino and multiple restaurants. The staff has always been courteous and helpful. My only real complaint is the "breakfast" it is lacking so don't expect much as there is no "kitchen" on the premises; bagels, muffins, coffee...that's about it. There is a Wafflehouse and McDonalds directly across the street, so not all is lost :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank restlesslb
Greenville, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

I wanted to try another Red Roof Inn since the last one was not the greatest but the one before that one in Kentucky was great so I was hopeful that some Red Roof Inns were better than another. Yes this is true. This Red Roof Inn on Broadway was excellent. I have to travel for my job to Columbus. The bed was soft, the room didn't stink and it was very quiet. The bathroom was beautiful too. I liked this place so much, I stayed again a couple weeks later. I have a swimming pool at my house and we are crazy about making sure the water is always clear. I did notice that the pool water at this motel was very cloudy but children were in it having fun.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank pbrtrails
i0735, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Columbus West Broad, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Warm Greetings PBRtrails,

Wow! Your comments about your recent stay with us are very generous and on behalf the staff and I we would like to thank you! It is rewarding to us to see that guests have a great time and then share their experience with others.

I am glad you noted that we are a hotel that appeal to all sorts of travelers and with our upcoming remodeling project coming up soon, I hope to see that guests are even more comfortable in their rooms.

We hope to see you again!

Thank You!