“Not as happy as Columbus with speedboats”
Review of The Santa Maria Columbus - CLOSED

The Santa Maria Columbus
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors experience life at sea while exploring a working 15th-century tall ship.
Mason, Ohio
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Not as happy as Columbus with speedboats”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Since we were already at the Ohio Statehouse, we thought we would take the tour of the Santa Maria, which is a short two block walk to the river. This was not worth the $16 entrance fee... but would have been happy at about $10 for the four of us.

This being the first week that it is open in the year, I sort of expected two things:
1) The boat would be in the best shape of the season
2) The tour guide would be fresh and excited.
Sadly neither was the case.

We did learn a decent amount about Christopher Columbus and the voyage in general. The tour felt a little flat and somewhat rushed. Since there was only one tour guide, we had to leave the boat when she did and could not spend any time exploring.

I felt as though it was worth the money for my kids (11 and 12) to understand what challenges early explorers faced when setting out for the New World, so for that reason I give it three stars. Don't make this a priority stop in Columbus, but if you are looking for a half hour to kill, come aboard.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Patrick G

Dayton, Ohio
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Odd novelty”
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I can imagine too many people come to Columbus to see this and since they really do very little to promote it, I would think it just cost money to maintain it. If Columbus can incorporate it into the future riverfront project I would say keep it. If not I would sell it and save the city money.

Bellefontaine, Ohio
4 attraction reviews
“Kids loved it!”
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Kids loved it and it was very educational as well. It's always easier to remember something when tied to an experience, so this is a wonderful experience for students (and parents).

Columbus, Ohio
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“fun for kids”
Reviewed 6 March 2013

this is a place to take kids so they can see how really small the ships were that Columbus traveled on.

Columbus, Ohio
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“They do their best to make it interesting”
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Let's get something straight - it is a boat - if your kids like boats, they will like this. Go when they have costumed tour guides - they do their best to make it interesting - and the hull is pretty cool

Visited August 2012