“Inconsistent, but my stays are worth it.”
Review of German Village Inn

German Village Inn
Ranked #105 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Linden, Michigan
“Inconsistent, but my stays are worth it.”
Reviewed 19 August 2011

The German Village Inn's best attribute is it's location: right next to the most charming place in Colombus Ohio, German Village. The village has restored homes built by German immigrants, in an amazing neighborhood with an awesome park. The motel has a McDonald's within two blocks, a nearby Starbucks in a quaint location, several local pubs and restaurants, ands a great local wine shop. Check out Rooster's, one block north and two blocks east. The motel itself is a "cheapie", so son't expect 5-star accomodations. The rooms are spartan but generally clean. My room was non-smoking, had a king-sized bed, a compact refrigerator, microwave, a table and chairs, and double sinks. Everything worked well, and the bed was comfortable. Nothing memorable, but worth the price. I have stayed here several times.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Rickydeee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
New York City
Reviewed 31 July 2011

This is a depressing budget property but offers a very good location for those looking to explore the wonderful German Village neighborhood. The Lobby has all the atmosphere of a checks cashing facility courtesy of the bullet proof? glass at Reception. My room (#42) was surprisingly nice and well-maintained on the inside. Everything worked well and housekeeping did a decent job during my 3 night stay. Plenty of restaurants are nearby and all of the Village is easily walkable. The main North-South bus route # 7 is a 1/4 block away. It's about a 10 minute drive to the center of the Downtown where the Statehouse is located. Not sure I would recommend a single woman stay here but fine for the independent male traveler. Just make sure to avoid asking the one-and-only lady I saw at the Front Desk- she is not very communicative!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Steedappeal
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 22 June 2011

The other reviews on tripadivor had me concerned, though there were several positive. It seemed to be 50/50 at best. I am in Columbus every week for work so I was looking for the best value for staying 2, 3, 4 nights per week. I own my company and my travel expense is not reimbursable. I like to stay in unique neighborhoods and get away from the strip malls. So, I tried German Village Inn. Wow - was I pleasantly surprised. While the property and the rooms are not anything special - they look worse from the outside than the room itself. Sometimes the room does smell musty, but I air it out and it quicly smells better. Many rooms have been remodeled and are comfortable. I enjoy the king size bed, the new A/C has always worked reliably even on the unseasonable hot weather we had - The bathrooms are newly remodeled. All the rooms I've bene in have a mini-fridge - which really makes the extended weekly travel more comfortable and a microwave - plus the usual coffee pot/ and iron/ironing board. More expensive hotels frequently do not provide these. Finally, the staff are friendly and helpful. It is true that some do not speak English as well as one expects in the Midwest states. These staff members are usually family members of the hotel owner, who is fluent in English - a young energetic family man who cares about the hotel and the guests. It seems that many of the older reviews were written while the hotel was being remodeled. One staff member has worked here for many years and I always enjoy speaking with her - it's like visiting with a nana that I've never had! Mostly, I am surprised by how well the maid keeps the room - each night I return to a room that is freshly cleaned and, with my things here, compares in presentation to the best hotels /spas/B&Bs I've stayed.

Room Tip: Great Value - Clean, Safe - Don't be frighten
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank RenitaLovell
Toledo, OH
Reviewed 2 June 2010

I don't know if the Village Inn has new owners or what, but our last stay was bad. Upon entering, the room was very musty smelling. We turned on the air only to be overcome with a horrible odor like it had never been cleaned. Fortunately, I have learned to travel with a can of Lysol, which helped. The bathroom smelled like someone had urinated all over and it was never cleaned. Again, the Lysol helped. Quite disgusting. If you're staying here, pack Lysol and flip-flops because you're certainly not going to want to walk barefoot on that carpeting! The owners don't keep other guests in check, so don't be surprised if there's a loud party going on.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ToledoRick
columbus, ohio
Reviewed 20 October 2009

I LEARNED MY LESSON: ALWAYS CHECK OUT THE ROOM BEFORE YOU COMMIT TO PAYING. The room I stayed in on October 17th weekend was so saturated with cigarette smoke, it was difficult to sleep. (My unused clothes had to be washed when getting home.) The TV remote was broke. The hot and cold knobs were opposite. There was loud music and ruckus outside until 5 a.m. I am wondering how clean the sheets and pillows were. The only positive was shower water was hot.
What a waste of 80 bucks.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed 18 October 2009

I reserved a room a month before the Columbus Marathon and received a confirmation number. I called three days before my stay to confirm my reservation and to alert the clerk as to the time of my arrival. I showed up the night before the marathon and was told that I had no room and that I had no reservation. The clerk was very rude and refused to let me speak to a manager or owner. At 10pm the night before my 7am run I was left scrambling trying to find a place to stay.
If you book a room don't be surprised to show up and have no room and confirming the room won't help.
AVOID!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
Deltona, Fl
Reviewed 9 October 2009

Stayed 4 days at the Inn, and it was close to everywhere I needed to go to. It was clean and staff was very helpful. I would suggest this place for anyone from out of town that grew up in the south end of Columbus. Ted H.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo