“Ok for long term stay”

WoodSpring Suites Columbus Hilliard
Reviewed 19 July 2013

This is our 5th or 6th annual stay at this property and it is the same week every year. The price has increased quite a bit since we first started using Value Place. The first year the rate was $189 for a week and this year it was $279 for a week - the same room type. The cleanliness of the room upon check in has deteriorated over the years. The floor did not appear vacuumed and the area under the beds looked like they haven't seen any cleaning in some time.

If you have never stayed at a Value Place here's the basic picture: it is half hotel and half apartment for long term stays. The front desk is not open 24 hours and there is no daily house keeping. In fact, if you only stay one week, you will receive NO housekeeping. I will say if you need something after hours and at a fairly reasonable time of the evening they staff will do their best to accommodate you quickly. For the most part the clientele is out of town workers and people in between places to live. The two ladies who operate the front desk are super, super nice and friendly.

You have to do a room-maintenance check upon check-in that I highly recommend you are very picky and detailed on. It says right on the agreement that any damage not noted at check in is your responsibility. So - if it was damaged at check in you better note it or you are going to pay for it!

ONE BIG, HUGE, MAJOR NEGATIVE: the air conditioning units are motion sensor activated. Meaning: if you're there when it is hot (which we are - July, usually in the 90's) do NOT expect your room to be cool when you get back. No motion in the room means the ac is not running while you are gone. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!!! I am sure this is set up to save money on the hotel's part but it sure doesn't have anything to do with making your guests comfortable. Especially considering I'm paying almost a hundred dollars more per week. There should be a manager in your room when you get back that says "hi - welcome home. You worked hard today so we would like to reward you with a hot room. But don't worry - it should cool back down in a few hours. We understand you are paying for your room but you don't want it to be comfortable, do you? we know you are paying but we will determine when your ac runs - not you! Get over it. It is what is and don't complain to us about it because frankly, we don't care!" In case you can't tell, this is a big pet peeve of mine. I hate it with a passion!

The convenience of a full size fridge and the electric stove are very nice. The amenities are bare-bones: beds are hard (we carry a memory foam pillow topper so that is not an issue); wash cloths and towels are provided but no hand towels (a big minus in my opinion). We have noticed some definite maintenance issues with holes in doors, walls, loose tables, etc.

Overall, it's basic and somewhat clean. It's way cheaper than a full service hotel for a week. There is heavy people traffic in the hallways and elevators. The residents aren't always the quietest when walking in the hallways and we have experienced loud and obnoxious kids at times over the years. We will be back next year but I sure do hope the attention to detail on cleaning and maintenance goes up by then.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Craig C
There are newer reviews for WoodSpring Suites Columbus Hilliard

Reviewed 4 October 2012

It appears that I don't have them in my room, but the room right next to us does. It's infested with them. What is irritating is that no one notified us or asked us to change rooms. So, now ill be up all night doing everything in my power not to bring these things home with me. I will be complaining in the morning.

• Stayed: October 2012
5  Thank Nicksmom11
LIPVP, Sales and Marketing Manager at WoodSpring Suites Columbus Hilliard, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

Dear Value Place Guest,

Thank you for taking time to tell us about your experiences at our property. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Value Place, we strive to ensure each and every guest experience is satisfying. Please know that your concerns are being addressed and that we take our guest experiences to heart.

Reviewed 9 August 2012

They will lock you out of your room even if you have made arrangements to pay the next day. Does'nt matter if its $5 or $500. They call and demand payment when you can't physically get there before they close. Then they hold your belongings hostage.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank jsmet725
LIPVP, Manager at WoodSpring Suites Columbus Hilliard, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2012

Dear Value Place Guest,

At Value Place, we strive to ensure each and every guest experience is satisfying. Please know all properties require payment to be paid in advance and remain current.

- Management Representative

Reviewed 5 July 2012

We needed a place to stay while we looked for a home in Columbus. We knew it was going to be a couple weeks as least and just needed a basic place that was secure, clean, and affordable. We looked at sublets and it was just too difficult to find the right fit of timing/length of stay. Other hotels were at least $50/night, which gets pretty pricey, pretty fast. We found Value Place online, took a leap of faith, booked online and showed up with all our moving stuff.

We were pleasantly surprised. We thought the staff was very helpful and accommodating. The room was decent size (we got a free upgrade) and we were pretty much left alone. Neighbors were quiet - it was pretty low key. It is true that there are lots of taxes and fees in addition to the room rate, so be prepared that it will be higher than just the advertised rate. With that in consideration, though, it's still a decent deal.

I think the Value Place idea is pretty cool. It's like a mix of hotel and sublet. You get a clean, basic place to stay, and you have to bring your stuff (except furniture of course!). That was not a problem for us, because we had everything with us.

Overall, we were very happy with our stay and would definitely stay again. Just keep in mind, that you need your own kitchen ware and cookware, and probably some extra towels. Just think of it as a temporary, semi-furnished studio.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2011

DO NOT stay here the service is horrible, the staff is rude and does not care and it shows in the crappy customer service. Expect dirty towels, linens, and for them to not clean anything, especially if you are staying for an extended period of time. Then after you leave they will Fraudulent Charges your Credit Card for charges in the amount of hundreds of dollars for lies. Funny thing is they are so ignorant, because I have pictures of the immaculate condition that the room was left in. Good luck having fraudulent credit card charges on your record Extended Stay at 2305 Wilson Road, 43228!!!!

Room Tip: DO NOT Stay here!!!!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank Fraudulent C
LIPgdyer, Public Relations Manager at WoodSpring Suites Columbus Hilliard, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2012

Dear Value Place Guest,

At Value Place, we strive to ensure each and every guest experience is satisfying. Please know that we are taking your feedback to heart, and we are taking the appropriate measures to address the issue promptly.

Value Place Management

Reviewed 8 October 2011

Based hotel prices in the area if you book here they have clean room but are lacking dishwasher and they charge for everything toilet paper, towels, and internet is slow pond(10 dollars) water . your better off useing your toggle card for internent and fastest upload speed was 10-15kbs for try upload a 5mb file for work .Trying to watch youtube on the pond water internet was not even possible .There missing a gym and need a better internet All in all there prices are not bad.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
LIPgdyer, Public Relations Manager at WoodSpring Suites Columbus Hilliard, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2011

Dear Value Place Guest,

Thank you for posting a review of your experience at our property. Your feedback is very much appreciated, and I assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests.

Again, thanks for taking the time and have a great day!

VP Management

Reviewed 14 July 2011

I stayed here mid March through mid July while looking for a job and apartment. I was a little worried about safety, because I had to do this solo while my husband kept his job in another state. I really had no problems with any one bothering me or feeling unsafe during my stay. They have entry doors that you have to use a key card to enter and also the laundry room uses the same card. The area is well lit and has a nice gas/food stop right next to the property. There is also a Tim Horton's and Wendy's across the street.

The lady at the front desk is very nice and tried really hard to help me when I was on my way to an interview but could not get my resume to print. The night guy was also very awesome - coming down to the office one Sunday night at 10pm when my key card would not work!

As for the room, it was very clean - I have never seen such a clean bathtub! It looked new! This is the only time I've stayed at a hotel when I felt comfortable soaking in the tub. The room has a two burner stovetop, full-size fridge, microwave, lots of storage space, wired internet access(loved being able to set up my desktop), cable tv, a raised platform bed, a table, two dining chairs, one regular chair, dresser, night stand. You do need to buy you own bath tissue after the one roll provided is gone, but not such a big deal.

Compared to other extended stay hotels, you get much more for your money here - one week = 3 days stay at a regular hotel.

I would definitely stay here again if I needed an extended stay hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Red Roof Inn Columbus West
Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbus/OSU
Hampton Inn Columbus West
Hampton Inn Columbus West
#26 of 143 in Columbus

Been to WoodSpring Suites Columbus Hilliard? Share your experiences!