“Perfect!!”

Ranked #27 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Waverly, Ohio
“Perfect!!”
Reviewed 23 July 2011

As someone who has worked in hotels -- WELL DONE!
We booked two rooms for a bachelorette party. The rooms were spotless and our requests for an early check-in, extra towels and blankets, and a room away from other guests were granted without any issues whatsoever. We book at the Renaissance because of it's convenient downtown location and the rooftop pool. Our girl (Courtney) that checked us in was so friendly and informative. I was a little worried that we would be treated differently since we were clearly a bachelorette party. However, this was the most positive attitude I've had from hotel staff for a group of our size.
The pool area was perfect and the management has done a great job of creating an urban oasis downtown. It was a bit crowded, but you'd be crazy to not take advantage of the pool in this HEAT. I also noted a small rooftop garden that was visited by one of the hotel chefs. Kind of a neat detail!
The room was kept very cool and there was plenty of room for all of us to lounge in hang out in one room... the other was mainly used for sleeping later that night. The bathrooms were small, but well designed. The shower was walk-in and had a glass divider. It was a good thing that we're all such great friends because we had girls showering and doing makeup in the bathroom at the same time. Probably wouldn't be a great situation for others since you can clearly see the person showering. I liked that the mirror in the room was so large and that the closet doors were also mirrored. Plenty of room for all of us ladies to primp!
The valet was brilliant. Great service every time. The guys were helpful and kind. We always called down and asked for our cars to be ready at a certain time and every time they were directly outside waiting for us! I think it was well worth the $23/day! Plus you didn't have to worry about your car getting hit on the street or broken into, which has happened to us before in other areas of Columbus.
We did not take advantage of the restaurant or the bar as we had already made other plans. I did hear a guest raving about the food though!
We loved our stay and the bride-to-be described our stay as "The best night ever!"
A big THANK YOU to The Renaissance Downtown! You made our experience one to remember!

Room Tip: Online Reservations
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I brought my daughter (8) and her friend up to Columbus to visit COSI. We checked in around 430 pm so we could enjoy the rooftop pool. The first thing I noticed upon entering the room was a graffiti drawing of a mans penis on the wall by the curtain. I was pretty shocked at a hotel costing $229 per night, that the maid hadn't seen this and already had it taken care of.
I was hoping my daughter and friend would not see it, or would not know what it was. Well they did and they did.....I was horrified.

The kids were dying to get their suits on and get to the pool. That was the first place they wanted to go upon check in. We first inspected for bugs (found none!) then headed down to the pool.
The girls and I really enjoyed the rooftop pool and deck, however, I asked the security officer if there were any umbrellas for the tables. He said someone would bring me one. It was around 5 pm and it was full sun blazing and around 98 degrees. Well, no one brought me one. Then the same security guard came over about 2 hours after I asked him for the umbrella and interrogated me "Do you have a room key? What room are you staying in? What is the name on the room?" I asked him first 'Why, did I drop my room key?" He was very rude, no personality at all. From other comments I read here, it seems like he treats all guests this way.

Finally around 715 pm or so, there were some women that worked there and I asked one of them for an umbrella and they brought me one and apologized that the security guard hadn't given me one. I think her name was Linda and she was very nice and pleasant.

I called the front desk as soon as we got back from swimming regarding the graffiti on the wall and they sent a maintanance man up immediately and they did a wallpaper patch over the graffiti. They did a good job and it was almost unnoticable.

We ordered room service for both dinner and breakfast. They did have a kids menu and was a very reasonable value for their dinner. I ordered a panini sandwich/salad and it was very good. Breakfast was also very good. The server that brought it to our room was extremely pleasant and helpful. I really liked her!
My daughter is allergic to peanuts and the front desk had the kitchen manager call me to go over in detail food preperation in the kitchen to reassure me that there would be no cross contamination. I saw 'peanut butter pancakes' on the menu and that is what he called to explain - they add the peanut butter after they are made, not added to them and cooked on the griddle. They used fresh utensils/surfaces to prepare her food to ensure her safety.

The bathrooms were teeny tiny and clausterphobic. The hot/cold shower knob was inside the shower and there was no way to reach this without getting undressed and standing in the shower and getting blasted with ice cold water. Very ackward..... The floor got soaked with water and I put towels down to make sure no one slipped on it.
The vanity / furnishings were very nice, but so tiiiiiiiny. To add to the ackward ness, the door to the bathroom was a folding wooden door, like something you would see on a closet door of a bedroom.

We did pay the $23 (plus tip) for parking. There is a cost of $12.95 per day for in room calls including internet I believe, there was a business center in the lobby, but you had to put in a credit card to be able to use their computers. I am used to getting free internet and having a free business center. With the price of the room being $229 + parking of $23 + tip, I couldn't believe they were asking you to pay for internet, which I didn't, I used my Droid phone while I was there.

I would probably stay here again, if I got it at a discounted price.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I stay here regularly on business, and have found the following:

Positives:
1.) Beds are incredibly comfortable
2.) Lobby and social areas are large and well-kept
3.) Room service breakfast, albeit expensive, is delicious
4.) Pool and hot tub on 4th Floor Roof aren't too busy around 10pm when I use it (open 6am-11pm)
5.) Gym on 4th floor has free weights to approx. 50 lbs., 8-10 treadmills/ellipticals/bikes with individual TVs you can plug your headphones into, and a sauna (one of the better hotel gyms I've been in)
6.) Great location with easy access to I-670, I-71, and I-70

Negatives:
1.) $23/day parking
2.) $12-13/day for internet
3.) One day all the showers of my floor didn't work - more of a freak accident with a broken pump or something, and I wouldn't expect this to recur, but still unpleasant
4.) As previously mentioned, bathrooms are small and peculiar. This is no issue at all for one person, and a couple would be okay as well, but I would not recommend this location if you are planning on putting more than two persons in a room

Overall, I'd recommend this place very highly for travel, if you don't mind the extra costs for the bells and whistles.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Ashland, Ohio
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Security had to be involved in TWO separate incidents in the one night we stayed here. That's not including the security guard in uniform that walked around the rooftop pool (the reason I even booked this hotel), checking to make sure everyone there was a registered guest...person by person. Screaming drunk people at 3 in the morning, security pounding on doors....not a hotel we'll be returning to.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2011

This hotel is a strange place. We were part of a Greek Orthodox wedding party this weekend. It's as if they had it all there but just couldn't figure out how to do it right. All of their 'accommodations' were nice, but the execution was awful. They charged an arm and leg for simply the basics. Room service took at least twice as long as they predicted on the phone, forcing us to cancel our order just so we could make it to the ceremony on time, even though we left an hour of time to order and then eat in the room. Clearly this wasn't enough time for the staff of the renaissance, even though they said the order would take 25 minutes. Also, You essentially had to beg for anyone to serve you or take your order at the bar, and the service took forever. The restaraunt hours were just plain stupid and inconvenient. Will not be staying here again, and will strongly recommend to AVOID this place.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Jwow36

• Stayed May 2011
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 May 2011

This property is great if you are looking for a decent hotel downtown. The rooms themselves leave a bit to be desired. Most notably is the awkward bathrooms that appear as though they were an architectural after-thought.

• Stayed January 2011