“It's the only place I'll stay in Columbus”

Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel
Ranked #26 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

My only complaint, it's a little confusing to get to the property for valet. However, Rooms are clean, staff friendly. Great gym, concierge lounge. Truly the best place to stay in the Midwest. Always enjoy my stay

• Stayed: May 2014

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Yes, it was clean -- and that's important to be sure, but beyond that there's not a lot to recommend. I was here for a meeting and the wifi in the room was espeically problematic. Plus I had to pay for it (always a real irksome requirement) AND I paid for the "enhanced" and more expensive access -- I don't know how the regular would have been even usable since the enhanced wasn't... My room (king bid) was pretty small and there this was huge stuffed chair smashed up against the wall which took out an entire side of the bad. (I've submitted a picture.) I might have been more sympathetic if the chair was really cool looking and/or comfortable but it was a god-awful red, cheezy looking and terribly uncomfortable. The location is great if you have to be downtown and there are a good number of nearby restaurants that are very good as well, but beyond that, not much around. Meeting facilities were very good. I noticed the title of one of the other reviews was "needs updating." Yeah, I'd agree with that.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel .
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Holly H, Executive Administrative Assistant/Marketing Coordinator at Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Hello, thank you so much for telling us about your experience at our hotel. We are very sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your room accommodations as well as the quality of the internet. It is very understandable how frustrating these issues can be and we would sincerely like to apologize. Our General Manager would be happy to speak with you regarding the issues you experienced. If you would be interested in speaking with the General Manager you can contact ColumbusManagement@renaissancehotels.com

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Great food at the rest & excellent service at the club level
Easy check in and out On site parking
Walking distance to Nationwide Arena and Arena District
Close to OSU
Walking distance to Capital and other resturants

Room Tip: near all attractions
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Jay, thank you so much for reviewing your stay with us. We are so happy to hear that you had such an excellent experience. We hope you will come back and visit us soon!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Hotel rooms are in dire need of updating. The bathroom was so small that two people could barely fit. The door they had on the bathroom was a folding type door and was just very strange. We found a green apple on our floor upon entering and the border wallpaper was peeling off. On a positive note, the staff is wonderful and very helpful. Also, we ordered room service and the food was good and service was fast. The rooms were not up to par, therefore we will find another place to stay while visiting Columbus next time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Holly H, Executive Administrative Assistant/Marketing Coordiinator at Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Hello, thank you so much for reviewing your stay at our hotel. We are so sorry to hear about the issues you experienced with your room while staying with us. We are in the planning phase for a rooms refresh early next year which we are hoping will address some of the concerns you expressed, particularly the bathroom. Thank you so much as well for the compliments regarding our staff as well as our quality of food. We pride ourselves on our customer service and love to hear that we were able to deliver in that area. We sincerely hope that you will consider staying with us in the future. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

TIP: Ask for a room at the far end of the hall away from any elevators and to reduce the guest traffic noisily passing your door.

Unfortunately, Columbus is short of truly first class downtown accommodations. There are a few candidates but most hotels there are like the Renaissance - a bit tired, fairly basic in amenities, and nothing particularly special.

This property was (I think) refreshed not too many years ago (within the last ten?) but the bones still look worn and in need of some sprucing. My room was adequate but overstuffed with furniture in an effort to make it seem more luxurious. There was an arm chair and ottoman shoe-horned by the bed right where I was likely to trip over them when navigating the room in the semi-dark. And I did trip over them more than once.

The bathroom was small but this is a downtown hotel, after all. The door was hinged in the middle from top to bottom creating an odd bi-fold action. I guess otherwise there might not have been any way to fully open the door into the small space? Small point: the toilet sits so close to the ground it might be better sized for a kindergartener than an adult.

The bed and pillows were very comfy and I was easily able to regulate A/C to my liking complete with my favorite run-all-night background-noise A/C fan. Good.

I was located near the elevator and the door was thin enough to allow me to hear every elevator ding, most guests as they walked down the hall, and door closings on all sides. I suggest you request a room at the very end of the hall on whatever floor you stay to reduce intrusion into your room of outside noise.

The staff was solid and check-in and check-out ran very smoothly.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Holly H, Executive Administrative Assistant/Marketing Coordinator at Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Hello Phil, thank you so much for taking a moment to give feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests! We also would like to apologize that you experienced some unsatisfactory issues during your stay. We would like you to know that we are currently in the planning phase of a refresh for our hotel public space as well as guest rooms in the coming year and beginning of next year. With that said, it is very helpful that you provided specific feedback regarding the room as we can take that information into consideration during our refresh planning phase. We are also sorry to hear about the noise issues you experienced but are glad to hear that you we still able to get a good nights sleep. We hope you will visit us again. If you would like to discuss the issues you experierienced further with our General Manager please contact us at ColumbusManagement@renaissancehotels.com

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I cannot express how fantastic the customer service is over on 3rd street. Susan, Megan, Tim and Yordi all were so accommodating to me during my stay. I can honestly say this is my new Columbus hotel. I travel very frequently and have yet to be this impressed with this staff. Special thanks to Jorden for going out of his way for me. I truly appreciate all he did to help me with all of my special requests.
Also very much enjoyed the bar and Latitude for great food and drink! I highly recommend this hotel!
Great location and easy walk to everything!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Three straight years of traveling and this is my favorite spot. Any one of the valet staff, Ritchie, Adam or Ten, is available and ready to help. The front desk staff, Reid, Megan, Elyse, Amanda, Jernaine, or a personal favorite Yordi, always have a smile and add the extra touch of home. Kevin, Ted, Susanna, and Julie are always ready in the Club to make the stay personal and exceptional. Definitely a must for any road warrior.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business