“Not impressed at all”

Ranked #9 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel could have been a fantastic experience. The employees have all been welcoming and helpful. The room is large with a huge couch and ample desk with all the electronic ports for hooking up your devices to the extra large smart TV. However, the bathroom sink is in the main room, right at the foot if the beds. For someone who gets up before her travel partner, this makes getting ready impossible without turning in a light. The room is handicapped equipped (not requested by us) and had a roll in shower. This would normally be fine, except here the tile rises to the drain and therefore stays flooded. I spent 5 minutes sweeping water with my foot into the drain so my travel partner didn't have to stand in my used water. The beds are horrible. They feel like they have been used for many years. Lumpy! And the towels and sheets are very scratchy. They definitely could use some fabric softener. The breakfast was ample, but not exceptional. Pancakes were cold and hard but the oatmeal was very good. Honestly, if I hadn't paid nearly $170/night I would swear I was in a remodeled Ramada Inn. I'm very disappointed.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Betsy K
Hyattplaceosu, General Manager at Hyatt Place Columbus/OSU, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for the positive comments about our staff. I will be addressing the drainage issue with our staff and will have the issue resolved. Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions at 614-569-2910. I hope that you will give us another chance the next time you come to Columbus.

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Place Columbus/OSU

Reviewed 14 November 2013

This place is Perfect for a conference downtown- just outside the rush of the city, but still so conveniently close to the event. Check-in when we arrived was quick and easy. They asked what floor we preferred, which was unexpected. The facility is only 3 years old- so it is nice, contemporary, but still very inviting.

The room was clean, well stocked with necessities and had a great view of the city. I did not care for the scent of the shampoo or conditioner, but I travel with my own so it was not an issue.

It snowed on the 2nd day I was there, so it looked like I was looking into a snow globe as the sun came up!

The bed was super comfortable, the pillows were a little too think and puffy for me, but I found 1 of the 3 I really liked. Slept comfortably and the rooms are fairly sound proof. I did not hear anything from my colleague in the next room or any other guests. There is a thermostat right inside the door for easy access rather than changing the temp. on the heater itself.

The FREE breakfast was great! I've stayed at many hotels where 'free' means 'out of a box' but the breakfast each morning at the Hyatt Place OSU was delicious! Fresh fruit, fresh hot sandwiches, cereals and oatmeal with all my favorite toppings, juices, milk, coffee, tea and much more. Made you feel like you were having breakfast, not a grab-and-go-snack.

I prefer to leave my bed the way I left it while staying away from home, so I placed the 'do not disturb' sign on the door to ensure the cleaning staff didn't come in and make it up- they didn't which I appreciated. The shower pressure and temperature were both good. The bathroom was small, but it was functional and clean. There is a spacious desk in the room for office work and a fridge- which was greatly appreciated. There was also a couch, too much seating for one person, but if I am traveling with the family next time, I will Definitely stay here for the space and convenience.

Oh! And covered parking which came in handy when it snowed! Really close to the front entrance and there were always a few spots to choose from.

The very best part- was the Buckeye Grill next door which shared a sidewalk and the covered parking with the Hyatt. We ate there the first night and loved it so much we went back the second night instead of experiencing another place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the city- very pretty sunrise shots!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Daisy H

Hello,

Thank you for the great review! I am thrilled that you enjoyed our over sized guest rooms and complimentary hot breakfast. The Buckeye Hall of Fame Grill located right next door is a great option for lunch and dinner. We hope you visit us again on your next trip to Columbus.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

For the most part, staying at this hotel was a pleasure. There is an attached parking garage that offers free self-parking, and the hotel is situated in a complex with a couple of very good places to eat. There isn't much within walking distance beyond the plaza, but the hotel is near freeways, and very close to Victorian Village, the Short North, and Downtown -- just not within walking distance.

The room itself was large and clean. I found the bathroom to be a bit below my expectations, but for the most part, I was very satisfied with the room and with my stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo

Hello,

Thank you for choosing the Hyatt Place Columbus/OSU during your recent stay! During your next stay, please feel free to ask the front desk about our complimentary shuttle that can take you to all of your favorite places in the Short North and surrounding areas. We hope to see your on your next trip to Columbus!

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I traveled with my husband and children. We all enjoyed our stay. You are greeted at the door by a friendly staff. Check in and check out were were quick and simple.The rooms were spacious beautiful and very
clean. My kids were able to use the pool which was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was very good for a complimentary breakfast. And if you need something they will get it for you. I love the location. the Buckeye Hall of Fame Bar and Grill is right next door which is amazing. Overall its a nice place to stay. Its booked often. This is where I would like to stay when traveling to Columbus but as I said, its often booked up. Very clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2013
Hyattplaceosu, General Manager at Hyatt Place Columbus/OSU, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Hello,

Thank you for your great review. With winter on its way our indoor pool is a huge hit for families traveling into Columbus. We also offer pool noodles and water wings to all guests. Thank you again for the great review.

mholtzleiter@columbushospitality.com

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed at the hotel and it was really nice the bed was great and the breakfast the next morning was fantastic. The room was very updated and quiet would definitely stay there again! We tried to book it for Parents weekend but it had already been filled up. The staff was very helpful and the parking was convenient.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Hello,

Thank you for your great review. Please let me know what we can do to make your next stay a 5 star rating.

mholtzleiter@columbushospitality.com

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Love the layout, breakfast and service. You can count on comfort and a nice business environment when choosing a Hyatt Place. Location was perfect with a trail to run just outside. Lots of free parking.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Hello,

Thank you for your great review. I hope to see you on your next trip to Columbus.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

This hotel was pricey and basically not worth the money. We had been on a road trip around the East Coast and stayed in several hotels which were less expensive and much better value for money. Rooms are drab and boring. TV constantly lost signal - very annoying when watching a film! Breakfast was average. Not much near location - had to drive. It's a one night stop for business use really, we stayed 4 nights when visiting our son in Columbus! 4 nights was too much!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello,

I’m sorry that you didn’t feel the hotel was up to standards. If you ever visit the hotel again please ask any of the Gallery Host for recommendations to local attractions and restaurants. Since the hotel isn’t a downtown property you do have to drive a short distant. However within 2 miles of the hotel there are restaurants of various cuisines not to mention some of my favorite restaurants in Columbus.