“Perfectly Situated on the Cusp of Fun”

Hyatt Place Columbus/OSU
Ranked #9 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

Stephanie found this hotel while we were planning our trip to Columbus and Michigan for the holidays. The price was outstanding and the location was perfect to the downtown restaurant scene. The hotel is located in a newly renovated section of the city that apparently was very industrial during the 20th century. The property is currently surrounded buy empty lots that are slated for urban redevelopment. There are also a host of new condominiums and lofts designed for the new urban professionals. The hotel was easy to find and very contemporary and smelled fresh and clean. The front desk staff were very helpful and easy to deal with; they checked us in quickly and easily. Our room was huge and nicely decorated; the walls were very sound proof and we did not hear a thing the whole night. The next morning we were greeted with a wonderful continental breakfast that consisted of a variety of enticing morsels both hot and cold. True to the TripAdvisor reviews, the oatmeal really was fantastic. We both agreed that we would stay here again on our next trip to Columbus due to it's convenient location and amazing online price.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank StephNOwen
Hyattplaceosu, General Manager at Hyatt Place Columbus/OSU, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Hyatt Place Columbus/OSU. We are happy you enjoyed the oatmeal and all of the toppings! As you noticed, the Grandview Yard is currently in it's second phase of development which will feature a new restaurant as well as office buildings and apartments. We truly appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again upon future visits to Columbus!

Reviewed 21 December 2013

Went to Cbus with my daughter to celebrate her birthday and do a little Christmas shopping. From check in to check out, everything and everyone was wonderful. We bought some wine and they uncorked it for me and even offered glasses to take back to the room. My daughter wanted Italian for supper so we asked at the front desk for a non-chain Italian restaurant they could recommend. They even printed out the address for us to find it. Again, what a great job! The food was delicious.
Our room was clean and comfortable. If I had to find a negative, it would be the wifi was very slow. A gentleman told me that it was due to us being on the top floor. Otherwise, truly a superior experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for staying at Hyatt Place Columbus/OSU during your weekend in Columbus! I sincerely appreciate such a great review of our staff. We are constantly striving to deliver exceptional customer service and I am pleased that you received exactly that. We hope that we have the opportunity to have you as our guest again soon!

Reviewed 20 December 2013

I was here this week on business and had never stayed here before. The hotel is conveniently located, very clean, and the rooms spacious and nice - - mine was complete with sectional sofa and working desk as well as king bed and nice makeup counter. I was here four days and every day the staff were very helpful locating me a tray to take breakfast to my room and directions. Breakfast included choices of hot biscuits with eggs, bacon, and cheese, pastries, oatmeal, fruit, yogurts, cottage cheese, and assorted breads. Other days had pancakes and other egg dishes. Plenty of juices and fresh coffee also included. Great hotel. There is also a pool and the hotel is next to a full service restaurant (Buckeye Grill).

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your review! I am thrilled that you enjoyed our oversized guest rooms. All of our guest rooms feature a cozy corner sleeper sofa and desk so the next time you stay with us, you will enjoy the same amenities every time! We would love to be your home away from home every time you travel to Columbus, Ohio.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Hyatt Place is a fine motel. The rooms are large, the staff is friendly and helpful and the fitness center is well-outfitted, though small.
I loved the breakfasts for two reasons. First, it offered oatmeal, always my favorite, and a choice of quality teas. Second, they used real dishes and cutlery, not the throw-away plastic stuff.
It's located in an industrial neighborhood. Nothing wrong with that, but there are no interesting places to walk. There are two restaurants in the complex but that's it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dannyhiker
Hyattplaceosu, General Manager at Hyatt Place Columbus/OSU, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Hello!

Thank you for your response and great review. You will be happy to hear that there are many new developments beginning in the Grandview Yard. I am sure that if you come back in a year, you will be pleasantly surprised! Thanks so much again and I hope you come visit us again soon.

Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel could have been a fantastic experience. The employees have all been welcoming and helpful. The room is large with a huge couch and ample desk with all the electronic ports for hooking up your devices to the extra large smart TV. However, the bathroom sink is in the main room, right at the foot if the beds. For someone who gets up before her travel partner, this makes getting ready impossible without turning in a light. The room is handicapped equipped (not requested by us) and had a roll in shower. This would normally be fine, except here the tile rises to the drain and therefore stays flooded. I spent 5 minutes sweeping water with my foot into the drain so my travel partner didn't have to stand in my used water. The beds are horrible. They feel like they have been used for many years. Lumpy! And the towels and sheets are very scratchy. They definitely could use some fabric softener. The breakfast was ample, but not exceptional. Pancakes were cold and hard but the oatmeal was very good. Honestly, if I hadn't paid nearly $170/night I would swear I was in a remodeled Ramada Inn. I'm very disappointed.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank wbbfan703
Hyattplaceosu, General Manager at Hyatt Place Columbus/OSU, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for the positive comments about our staff. I will be addressing the drainage issue with our staff and will have the issue resolved. Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions at 614-569-2910. I hope that you will give us another chance the next time you come to Columbus.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

This place is Perfect for a conference downtown- just outside the rush of the city, but still so conveniently close to the event. Check-in when we arrived was quick and easy. They asked what floor we preferred, which was unexpected. The facility is only 3 years old- so it is nice, contemporary, but still very inviting.

The room was clean, well stocked with necessities and had a great view of the city. I did not care for the scent of the shampoo or conditioner, but I travel with my own so it was not an issue.

It snowed on the 2nd day I was there, so it looked like I was looking into a snow globe as the sun came up!

The bed was super comfortable, the pillows were a little too think and puffy for me, but I found 1 of the 3 I really liked. Slept comfortably and the rooms are fairly sound proof. I did not hear anything from my colleague in the next room or any other guests. There is a thermostat right inside the door for easy access rather than changing the temp. on the heater itself.

The FREE breakfast was great! I've stayed at many hotels where 'free' means 'out of a box' but the breakfast each morning at the Hyatt Place OSU was delicious! Fresh fruit, fresh hot sandwiches, cereals and oatmeal with all my favorite toppings, juices, milk, coffee, tea and much more. Made you feel like you were having breakfast, not a grab-and-go-snack.

I prefer to leave my bed the way I left it while staying away from home, so I placed the 'do not disturb' sign on the door to ensure the cleaning staff didn't come in and make it up- they didn't which I appreciated. The shower pressure and temperature were both good. The bathroom was small, but it was functional and clean. There is a spacious desk in the room for office work and a fridge- which was greatly appreciated. There was also a couch, too much seating for one person, but if I am traveling with the family next time, I will Definitely stay here for the space and convenience.

Oh! And covered parking which came in handy when it snowed! Really close to the front entrance and there were always a few spots to choose from.

The very best part- was the Buckeye Grill next door which shared a sidewalk and the covered parking with the Hyatt. We ate there the first night and loved it so much we went back the second night instead of experiencing another place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the city- very pretty sunrise shots!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Daisy H

Hello,

Thank you for the great review! I am thrilled that you enjoyed our over sized guest rooms and complimentary hot breakfast. The Buckeye Hall of Fame Grill located right next door is a great option for lunch and dinner. We hope you visit us again on your next trip to Columbus.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

For the most part, staying at this hotel was a pleasure. There is an attached parking garage that offers free self-parking, and the hotel is situated in a complex with a couple of very good places to eat. There isn't much within walking distance beyond the plaza, but the hotel is near freeways, and very close to Victorian Village, the Short North, and Downtown -- just not within walking distance.

The room itself was large and clean. I found the bathroom to be a bit below my expectations, but for the most part, I was very satisfied with the room and with my stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo

Hello,

Thank you for choosing the Hyatt Place Columbus/OSU during your recent stay! During your next stay, please feel free to ask the front desk about our complimentary shuttle that can take you to all of your favorite places in the Short North and surrounding areas. We hope to see your on your next trip to Columbus!