“NOT LIKE OTHER HYATTs - Really rude staff and MOLD! MOLD!”

Hyatt Place Columbus/OSU
Ranked #10 of 144 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We visited this Hyatt thinking it would be just as great as our Hyatt experience in Boise, Idaho which was wonderful. However the OSU Hyatt in Columbus was not good. The rooms are like other Hyatt's (functional and relaxing) except there's no
sink in the room's mini bar and no microwave. There is a mini-fridge. We stayed on the sixth floor and slept really well. We booked online and the agent gave us a late checkout which we really appreciated. However, some of the staff on-site was rude.
We ordered food from their 24 hour cafe and it was really poorly prepared compared to our experience at the Boise Hyatt. They didn't include napkins or utensils. They were super rude on the phone the next morning when we ordered breakfast, but when we picked up our order we dealt with someone different who was really nice.

We rented two adjoining suites; one king suite and a two queen suite. Both bathrooms contained mold. The king suite had a nice shower, but there were huge patches of mold in the corners near the floor and around the floor perimeter. The queen suite had a bath/shower combo that had
mold around the caulking of the tub and in the corners. The tile grout was chipping away and it looks like rather than dealing with the mold, they've been caulking over it. Disgusting and dangerous for people with mold allergies. I'm taking pictures of the mold to send to management, because it is pretty out of control. They need to know that their rooms aren't being cleaned properly.

• Stayed: July 2014
Hyattplaceosu, General Manager at Hyatt Place Columbus/OSU, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I apologize that your rooms did not meet our high standards of cleanliness and that you received less than exceptional customer service. We will be addressing these issues with maintenance and our staff. I hope that you will give us another chance on your next trip to Columbus.

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Checked in late slept in little pass 9am. Breakfast was being removed at 9:05. Spoke with front desk person she reiterated finished at 9 and then a blank stare! Got my coffee, daughter got her orange juice.... After watching the food being packed away I assume to stay fresh for the next day! We retired back to our room. Thought about it and called, got the General Manager and her reply was "it closes at 9, we had no way of knowing if you were coming and going" not sure what that had to do with being offered a bagel or something but that was her reply! I stated that the offer would and should have been made. There was silence...working in as a Flight Attendant for 16 years and now 10 years in another customer service roll, I can not give this hotel a thumbs up at all! The facility is in an up and coming area! I hope by the time the area is built up the Hyatt would have hired some true professionals! Thumbs down for now!

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for choosing Hyatt Place Columbus/OSU. I apologize that you were not offered breakfast and that the follow up phone call was less than helpful. I will be following up with our staff to ensure that this does not happen again as it is our goal to go above and beyond in all areas of customer service. Please let me know if I may be of any assistance next time you visit Columbus.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Sitting in a new property development the Hyatt Place is underwhelming from the first moment.
I was greeted by a front desk person who was busy and attended to me with a sigh. When she discovered that I had booked third party, Priceline, she almost laughed at me. I asked about certain questionable amenities, she replied, "You get what you get when you book third party."

The decor of this chain hotel is muted browns and beiges. Nothing to spark or tickle or thrill. The rooms are nice and spacious, towels Hyatt quality and thick. The bed was awesome comfortable. The only bad thing in the room was lighting. Tooo bright and no way to really tone it down to relax. My toilet seat was broken.

The complimentary Wi-Fi was awful. In and out the whole stay The network filter was set so high that I felt like I had turned into a societal menace since so many of my sites were blocked. When I tried to unblock through the system network help desk the response was that it would take 3-4 business days to get an answer. OMG!

The location is fantastic if you are working in the city and the parking is plentiful, sheltered and free. Fantastic.

The breakfast was served from 6:30 to 9 a.m. I went at 8:30. The skillet food, english muffin with egg and cheese was dried out and very unappealing. The set up in the room has the cups and plates in insets above the food, confusing before the first cup of coffee. The food for sale was outrageous.....a cesar salad for $10

Unwelcoming front desk arrival, weak wi-fi, broken toilet seat and unappealing breakfast wrapped in muted brown and beige. What a disappointment even for someone poor bloke like me who booked it on Priceline.

Room Tip: try to get a room that is not facing the ongoing construction project next to the hotel I was on th...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Dennis R
Hyattplaceosu, General Manager at Hyatt Place Columbus/OSU, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to share your experience regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. We hope to be of service to you during your next trip to Columbus.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed two nights in this Hyatt Place, that although in an uninteresting neighbourhood is well situated for the city centre and also the ring road.

Our first room was so small that there was nowhere to put our cases as the floor space was so limited. I was really surprised as previous Hyatt Places have had spacious rooms and this room would have been hopeless for a family. I enquired the next day whether our room was especially small and the receptionist said she wasn't aware of this but would be happy to move our belongings to another room if we preferred. She consulted with a colleague who confirmed 'yes, the room is smaller as it is at the end of the corridor. It is one of our studio rooms' (these cost same as full size suite). The offer to help us relocate evaporated and we were told to move ourselves as quickly as possible to another room before new guests arrived.

Our new room was the usual spacious pleasant suite we have come to expect at a Hyatt Place . However we would probably have been better off if we stayed put. The room was hot (heat wave in Ohio) so we had to have air conditioning on when we went to bed. I was sleeping a foot away from the air conditioner (why no integrated air conditioning in a recently constructed building?) that was very noisy and turned itself on and off at regular intervals . Every time it re-started it woke me up...

In some ways breakfast choice was better than average although non meat eaters were not adequately catered for. The skillet food was stone cold.

I am surprised that Hyatt Place provides 'studios' without warning customers - and charging the same.price. Surely they must realise that this is defacing their own brand.

Room Tip: Avoid 'studio' rooms
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JJRG
Hyattplaceosu, General Manager at Hyatt Place Columbus/OSU, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay, All comments are welcome and encouraged so I appreciate you informing us of the issue you encountered. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and I hope that you will give us another chance on your next trip to Columbus.

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel was impressive from the moment we arrived. It looked brand new, with an inviting entrance and friendly staff. Our room was larger than expected with 2 Queens and a sectional sofa-sleeper that you could walk around when open. The complimentary breakfast was great, lots of fresh fruit and Starbucks coffee. They also have a snack bar area featuring Columbus-famous Jeni's ice cream. Don't miss this deliciousness! The pool had folding doors that opened onto a nice courtyard, so we could sit outside while the kids swam and still keep an eye on them. Highly recommended and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Joanne E
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Staff was super nice. Even gave us an apple upon request when we checked in : ). So kind. Room was clean and comfortable. Has 6 floors. Nice view of the Columbus city skyline. Breakfast was the standard (very good, hot) Hyatt Place affair which is one of the reasons we selected the hotel.

Room Tip: Room 622 had nice view of Columbus skyline
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa H

Thank you for your staying with us! We appreciate you taking the time to post a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the room and breakfast. Thank you for your comments about our friendly staff, we take great pride in serving you! We hope to see you again on your next trip to Columbus.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Great and caring staff!

The hotel is located within many of the places we planned visiting on our recent trip.

It is a very comfortable hotel and we would recommend it to others, as well.

Delicious breakfast served each morning.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family