“Nice hotel, but...”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbus Southeast
Ranked #65 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Groveport is not a nice area, this section in particular. I used to live in a townhouse on this same road. Got robbed BTW and left when I saw it was going downhill. I chose to stay here when visiting a friend because I'm not very familiar with the rest of Columbus. It is further back from Hamilton Road and had mostly good reviews, so I chanced it. I was surprised at how well the hotel is maintained. Staff was very friendly. Was surprised at how many families there were. Thought it would be mostly business people and such. I didn't feel comfy walking to nearby restaurants even with my male friend with me. I really don't care what section you are in; the nice areas are either very isolated or adjacent to high-crime areas. Even though this hotel is well-lit and the employees keep their eyes open, there are sketchy people hanging about esp when evening comes. The back door was broken so anyone could enter. There was a sign up not to use it but I did because I wanted to park in the back lot behind my room so I could keep an eye on my car.

Why anyone would take kids there, I don't know. That was one reason why I chose it, because I thought if visitors knew anything about Groveport, family types would stay away. Columbus has never been a family-friendly place. It's good if you don't plan to stay long and just want a basic place to sleep. There isn't much to do in that area - if I knew more about the southwest side of Cbus and there was more lodging over there (It's more rural.), I would've gone with that. The actual town of Groveport is small and much safer than several miles north where the HI Express is. Too bad there is not much down there. The closest mall is the ghettofab Eastland Mall, a very-high crime area. Refugee is closer to the hotel than that, and is even worse. I was so bored while my friend was at work that I ventured down there. Was solicited in the parking lot (at 10:30 in the morning, no less). Good to know things haven't changed.

I can't in good faith recommend this hotel to anyone based on the location. I would definitely chose this chain again, but when in Cbus again, I'll spring for a higher-cost room closer to Easton or the airport.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
palmtreeColumbus, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbus Southeast, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the hotel itself.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbus Southeast

Reviewed 15 July 2013

This is a good hotel. Beds were comfortable, room was clean, didnt have alot of extra outlets for your electronics. Very friendly lady at front desk the evening we checked in, wish I got her name. Had a indoor pool but we didnt use it. Halls smelled of smoke so not sure if its nonsmoking hotel or not, Is close to a few eat places and next door to a Bob Evans.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
palmtreeColumbus, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbus Southeast, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We appreciate all of your feedback and use any comments and suggestions we receive to better our service. I am glad that the front desk associate was friendly and that you enjoyed your stay. I hope we are able to accommodate you again if you return to the Columbus area!

Reviewed 12 June 2013

The hotel is decent and the staff are very friendly and accomodating,but I wouldn't recommend it for longer than a weekend. The beds are not that comfortable and if you happen to be there during a busy time it's not very quiet.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Lynn G
palmtreeColumbus, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbus Southeast, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to evaluate your stay at our property. I apologize that you did not find the bed to your liking. I also apologize that you could hear noise outside of your hotel room. The front desk associates are always available and willing to help assist our guests with any concerns they may have. I hope that if you stay with us again in the future you will let us know of any concerns so we can address them for you right away.

Reviewed 7 June 2013

This hotel has the most wonderful staff. The front desk was efficient and friendly. The breakfast lady was so sweet. You can tell she enjoys her job. Even the housekeeping staff were nice! They are undergoing a renovation and the place looks great! We stayed here for a soccer tournament, and this was one the best places we've stayed at in a while. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank justinew5
palmtreeColumbus, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbus Southeast, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2013

We are so happy to hear that you were treated so well by all our staff members. We work hard to ensure that each guest feels welcome. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 2 June 2013

Short 1 night stay at this hotel....stayed here on a recommendation from family who has stayed here before, and the fact that its close to Bexley, where my family lives. The hotel is located in an area with multiple sit down and quick service restaurants and right down the street from a grocery store. Check in was a breeze...got 2 passwords for the free wi-fi and off we go to our room.
1 king bed, sofa bed, fridge, microwave, decent sized bathroom...just fine for a 1 night stay. Not long into our stay, we were alarmed to see a woman enter our room, thinking that this was her room. She quickly turned away and went back to the desk to tell the staff "her" room was occupied. Front desk called right away to apologize, but it was still unsettling the system showed that room as empty.
The bed was comfortable, but if you're a light sleeper you may have some difficulties. The noise from the hallways, parking lot, and the thin walls make it tough to get to sleep. Breakfast in the morning was nice...pancakes, eggs, sausage, cinnamon rolls, yogurt, bagels and juices.
All in all, it was just fine for the one night.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Redsoxchic04
palmtreeColumbus, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbus Southeast, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We take these reviews very seriously and use them as a way to improve our customer service. I apologize that there was in an error made that resulted in another person accessing your room. Please know that this type of mistake is not common and we addressed the situation with the employee right away. I am glad to hear that the front desk associate called you immediately to apologize.

I am also glad to hear that you were able to sleep well and enjoyed our breakfast. We take great pride in offering our guests an exceptional breakfast before they head out for the day.

We hope that you will consider us again should your travels bring you back to Columbus!

Reviewed 15 May 2013

My girlfriend and I took a weekend get away to Columbus, Ohio to check out German Village. We stayed at this hotel being Priority Club members for Holiday Inn. It was very good for the price and the points for members. It was easy to find and not far off the 270 belt way when traveling in and around Columbus, Ohio. I recommend this hotel for pleasure and for business.

~T

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

We are happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with our hotel. We pride ourselves on taking exceptional care of our customers. We hope you will return to our location should your travels bring you back to the Columbus area.

Reviewed 1 March 2013

We stayed here last night for a tournament we had in the Columbus area. This is a very nice hotel. It's very easy to get to, just off the exit and just south of the 270 outerbelt around Columbus, only about 10 minutes from downtown. The rooms were very large, nice and clean! The hotel staff was very polite and helpful. Breakfast was typical for a HIE, pancakes, eggs, sausage, gravy, biscuits, bagels, muffins, etc. There are not a ton of places to eat, but a Bob Evans and Wendy's are next door and a Big Boy is just down the street. There's a Giant Eagle across the street if you need to pick up anything you might have forgetten. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would definitely stop here again if we need a room in the Columbus area.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank OC_Travelers_2010
palmtreeColumbus, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbus Southeast, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2013

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. So glad to hear that you enjoyed our service and would come again. We pride ourselves on continuing excellent service to all of our guests and have many return customers. Not only are we within walking distance of some restaurants, but about 3 miles at the next exit, there are even more dining selections.
Our breakfast is another popular feature. We are glad that we were able to offer you everything you were expecting and hope to see you again on your next stop in Columbus. Again, that you for your review as these reviews do help us gauge our progress, improvements and continuing excellence.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
WoodSpring Suites Columbus Southeast
Hampton Inn Columbus Hamilton
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#56 of 143 in Columbus
Best Western Canal Winchester Inn - Columbus South East
Best Western Canal Winchester In...
#1 of 1 in Canal Winchester
Comfort Suites East
Comfort Suites East
#97 of 143 in Columbus
Best Western Executive Suites - Columbus East

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbus Southeast? Share your experiences!