“great hotel, great staff - but....”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbus Airport
Ranked #68 of 144 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed 2 January 2014

my wife and i stay at this particular hotel when we are in town...it is a great location close to the airport. this time, although the stay was good, staff friendly, nice king suite, the bed was wonderful as well as the amenities in the room....however,the shower in room 222 was awful to say the least.

the tub did not drain well... i was showering in dirty water up to our shins. there was no need to call and/or move to another room at this time since it was after 9pm, new years eve. when i stepped out of the shower, i had to stick my legs back in the tub to rinse them off. i asked my wife did the tub back up on her and she said yes.

the next day, we checked out, but sorry to say that we did not shower. washed face, brushed teeth, etc.. we didn't want to go thru the shower incident again. we got home in close to 2 hours and cleaned up then.

will we stay there again? yes, of course. but will definitely check the shower as soon as we walk in the room to see if the drain works!

i give this a 4 star rating because i know the caliber of this hotel and in spite of our incident, it is a place you should consider staying.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
CountryInnColumbus, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbus Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. I first and foremost want to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the shower. We have our maintenance staff looking into this problem to ensure that it does not happen again. I know that it can be a burden trying to shower with the drain not working properly. I am pleased to hear that you still enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you found the room and bed to be comfortable, and that the amenities were great. We look forward to your visit again the next time you are in Columbus!

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Country Inns and Suites (CIAS) is pretty much the same anywhere you go...and that's not a bad thing. In this case, I was in town for a wedding and just needed to get a bed for the night. The room was pretty standard fare for CIAS. It was two beds and a bath.

I did not take advantage of the free breakfast in the morning.

The workout facility is good with all the equipment properly functioning and a water cooler in the corner for a post-workout drink.

Parking is a bit of a hassle as the lot is small in the front. Parking around back is problematic because there isn't a back door to key swipe yourself inside. You have to walk back to the front.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
CountryInnColumbus, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbus Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased that you found the room to be comforatble. I am thrilled that you were able to take advantage of the fitness room and found everything in good, working condition. For parking around the back, we do have two side entrances. I hope that you will visit us again the next time you visit Columbus, and that you will have an opportunity to enjoy our Be Our Guest Breakfast.

Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

This place is a total dump. Made reservations months in advance,but they did not have the room we booked. Offered no resolution. The place smells bad, like dirty socks and the staff is rude. Do not stay here. There are many better options in the same area. Check life360. The area is full of crime and sexual offenders.

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank David M
CountryInnColumbus, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbus Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Dear David M:

First and foremost, thank you for choosing the Country Inn & Suites Columbus during your recent trip to the Central Ohio area. With regards to your feedback, we do sincerely apologize for your recent experience with us. I was surprised to read your comments regarding our staff, who are frequently commended for their exceptional customer service and attentiveness. In addition, I would also like to address any concerns about the cleanliness of the hotel. Our staff takes pride in the cleanliness and attention to detail, but clearly we were not up to standards on your stay.

This area of Columbus is indeed a high traffic area, especially on weekends, as it is so close to the Airport. The City of Columbus does struggle with lawlessness as does every major metropolitan area in the United States, but the hotels in the Airport area make every attempt to ensure our guests feel comfortable and safe. Our hotel is no exception and we take such matters very seriously. I would greatly appreciate it if you would kindly contact me to discuss.

Christina Kruse

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I had to make quick reservations for an out of town funeral. The price was great, the location was great! If I had one complaint, it was that housekeeping did not come until late in the afternoon. We had no complaints about noise, cleanliness, etc. The hot breakfast is very typical. I just wish these hotels would offer bigger coffee cups to take back to your room.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for reviewing our property on TripAdvisor.com! I am sorry to hear about your loss, and i hope that we as a team were able to make you feel comfortable during a hard time. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased that you found the hotel clean and quiet. I apologize about housekeeping getting to your room later in the day. We try to ensure that stayover rooms are taken care of promptly. Thank you for the tip on bigger coffee cups; we will begin looking into bigger to go size cups. We hope to see you again the next time you are in central Ohio.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

2 of us stayed here for the US v. Mexico World Cup Qualifier match in September. My brother was flying out of Columbus the next morning so this is why we chose this hotel, value and location. There is a group of about 4 hotels right by the airport, and then another group here by the Country Inn of about 5 hotels about 5 minutes from the airport. This was the most reasonably priced place offering free breakfast in the morning. Check-in was easy, the entrance and lobby are very nice, with free cookies, tea, and coffee for hotel guests. There is also a fireplace, seating, and reading material for any downtime. The room itself was not the most modern of decor, but it was sufficient for our needs, and was clean. Breakfast was free, and it was fine. Proximity to the city and Crew stadium was good, maybe 15 minutes by car/taxi. I would choose this hotel again for a short stay in this area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
CountryInnColumbus, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbus Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Dear iTravel11,
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! I hope you enjoyed the game as well. I am glad that you enjoyed the option of tea, coffee, and cookies available in the lobby. This seems to be a favorite of our guests. I am also glad that you enjoyed our Be Our Guest Breakfast. We are fortunate to be in an area that is close to everything that Columbus has to offer. I am thrilled that we exceeded your expectations, and we thank you for choosing Country Inn and Suites and the Carlson Brand. We look forward to seeing you the next time you visit Columbus, Ohio!

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Stayed one night between a Crew game and a zoo trip. Great location for both, good rate and most importantly, quiet and clean. Too late for the chocolate cookies, I guess, but the breakfast was good for all three of us.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 5Kenners
CountryInnColumbus, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbus Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear 5Kenners,
Thank you for taking a moment and reviewing our hotel on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am thrilled to hear that we met your expectations with the quietness and cleanliness of our rooms. I am also glad to hear that you were able to enjoy the Zoo and the Columbus Crew Game, and that our property was in a good location for you to have easy access to both activities. We hope you will visit us again the next time you come to Columbus for a fun weekend get-away!

Country Inn and Suites Columbus- Airport

Reviewed 15 August 2013

This hotel is a quiet, nice hotel and very close to the airport, made in under 5 minutes. The woman who check me in was amazing pleasant I forgot her name, but she had brownish hair. The rest of the check in staff was ok and helpful. The room needs updated carpeting, but otherwise very cozy. The pool was a little cold for an indoor pool, which is rare. I was a bit disappointed with the breakfast, not that I was expecting a cooked to order. But while I like chicken with biscuits and gravy, it is more of a Sunday Breakfast, than during the week. The egg patties were nothing special, but the waffle maker was nice. Good Experience, would stay again for the right price. More like 3.5 stars

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank joe w
CountryInnColumbus, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbus Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Dear Joe W.,
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to hear that you were able to find and make it to the airport quickly. I am also pleased that my staff took such good care of you during your stay. In regards to breakfast, we are constantly rotating our menu. We hope that you will stop in and visit us again, and see what's new on the menu at our Be Our Guest Breakfast.

Assistant General Manager
Country Inn and Suites Columbus Airport.