“Will never stay here!!!”
Review of Varsity Inn

Varsity Inn
Ranked #108 of 144 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I reserved a room 2 days ago at this hotel for Quarter Horse Congress. My horse was injured and I called the hotel to cancel. They could not find my reservation at all. I had a ref. number and they told me I would have to call Travel now.com. I called and they had the reservation. Travel Now called the hotel explaining the cancellation and asking to wave the cancellation fee. The hotel manager refused. Travel Now had me call and speak with the manager. I was told it is a BUSINESS to make money and I could be lying about the emergency to get them to wave the fee. I offered to send them All correspondence and information between the vet and myself, to prove my emergency. Manager was not pleasant to say the least even though I kept calm acting as a lady. This hotel obviously leaves a lot to be desired. Losing reservations, bad attitude and not being personable is not qualities of a good manager and reflects poorly on the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Kimberlycr

Reviewed 11 September 2013

I stayed here after being forced to quickly scramble for a room when the hotel I booked couldn't find my reservation.
I'm not one to stay at motels and am a self-proclamined germaphobe. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the room itself. While small and no-frills, it was clean and looked like it had been updated within the last few years.
Would I stay there again? Not on purpose. But it wasn't bad in a pinch.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights for the OSU football game. Hotel was busy, alumni weekend. My room was clean and the bed (king) was clean and nice. One of the firmer hotel mattresses I've experienced lately. The room is basic, and small but adequate. So small, actually, that the door bumps the desk when opened. The tv is old (flat screen tube). Building Two is 30 feet from a train track with multiple overnight trains -completely obnoxious. Overall, though, you can't go wrong with the location on a game weekend for well under $100 a night.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My wife and I (50's) booked a room last Saturday for a blues music event downtown. We have stayed here about 10 times previous so we know what to expect and it is plenty good for what we need. We recommend this hotel if you looking for a place to sleep and you plan to spend a minimal amount of time in the room.
Cons:
Towels are small
Rooms are clean but in need of update
Close to train tracks (this has never been a problem for us but I guess there is that potential)
A great OSU Buckeye's bar with memorabilia next door was torn down to build another hotel
Prices increase and availability decrease during OSU games
Pros:
Rooms are clean and we have never had trouble with noise
Free parking right outside your door if you are on first floor
$67 per night plus tax
Microwave and medium sized refrigerator included
Close to SR315 ramps and 5th street for easy access to downtown and Ohio State events
Flat screen TV

Room Tip: Ask for first floor away from the train tracks
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2013

First time staying at this motel. Very affordable. Location was close to OSU. Check- in was easy. No breakfast but coffee available 24/7. Room had two queen sized beds which were very comfortable for motel beds. It looked like the motel had been refurbished recently with new bedding and a marble top near the sink. The rugs however were dirty and needed cleaning or replacing. I was uncomfortable walking on them with bare feet .The bathroom lighting was dim and the bathtub needed repair, but the actual shower was very good. There were enough towels and the usual amenities were fine. There was a clean, inviting pool which I did not get to use but I did enjoy being able to walk across the parking lot to shop at to Kohls. Based on the price, comfortable beds and convenience of the motel I will plan to stay there again,thought I do wish that the carpets were cleaner.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I wanted to let travlers know that we stay here every time we go to columbus and we have had great service. Very workable when it comes to us moving rooms around and other needs we might have. If you stay at Varsity you will always be taken care of. Thanks again varsity! Tonia C

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MentorTonia
Reviewed 12 June 2013

The Varsity Inn is very close to the OSU Hospital, and my husband and I often stay when he has appointments at The James Cancer Hospital. The hotel staff do their best to make our stays as comfortable as possible. There are a few things that could be improved, but the hospitality of the employees makes our stays worth it. Any time we've had an issue with anything, the problems have quickly and efficiently been taken care of. I would recommend The Varsity Inn to any of my friends or family needing a place to stay where their comfort and happiness is a top priority. Many of the employees have been warm and welcoming, but Jeffrey, in particular, has gone above and beyond to make us feel right at home! Thank you, Jeffrey, for making our stays at The Varsity Inn feel like a homecoming!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Helen E
var1445, General Manager at Varsity Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Wanted to thank you for the feedback. We do take pride in cleanliness and hospitality. I am glad location is convenient and Jeffrey’s customer service was outstanding. Thanks again for recommending us to family and friends. See you again when you are back in town.