“No wifi, had to go to the front desk for towels, that's just part of it.”

Americas Best Value Inn - Columbus / North
Ranked #130 of 145 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed 26 August 2011

The room had a bad smell & the carpet was wet. There were never enough towels.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank NANCY M

Reviewed 8 August 2011

I am not much for using valuable time on reviews but on behalf of my fellow man this nightmare 'Hotel' deserves setting aside time just so that others are warned away:
1) Arrived with my daughter and thought the place was closed as no cars were in the lot.
2) A 'person' was hanging out by the front door and my first impression was that he seemed like he was a 'lookout'. I figured just my imagination.
3) Car pulled up and my daughter, already frightened by the look of the place said she saw a drug transaction take place with the 'lookout'.
4) Entered the office and the stench of smoke was strong. It was dirty and smokey and grungy.
5) Noticed signs that said 'WIFI not working' and 'pool temporarily closed'. Should have left right then and there. The place was obviously a dump.
6) Commented to desk clerk about the lack of cars in the lot. He said the place was half full and that they were located in the next building over. I figured it would be full of cars and that when I got there and I would feel some 'comfort'. No cars were there.
7) Pulled up to room. The guy who was acting like a 'lookout' magically shows up on foot and stands in a nearby corrider and just stares at us suspiciously. The car that did the drug transaction pulls up 2 spaces away from us. The room next to our's door opens and 2 strung out people peer out and just stare at us. The drug transaction folks enter that room. A girl comes around the corner looking quite strung out and cussing up a storm. She enters the same room. Before the door closes I see what looks like strung out hooker sitting on the bed. I notice there are lots of people in neighboring rooms too but no cars. I immediately think "Is this a Welfare Hotel"?
8) Stupidly and reluctantly, we empty the car of all valuables and go in our room. It smells of smoke and other foul odors. It is just run down and nasty. We sit on the edge of the bed to discuss whether we should leave (yeah it took this long to decide, what was I thinking). We realize that under the sheets on the bed are some weird noisy thick plastic sheets. Just then a pickup backs in to the spot directly in front of our window and just sits there looking in his mirror at us looking at him. Finally I came to my senses and we decided to leave. We rushed everything into the car and drove back to the office.
9) I tell the guy cancel the reservation because the place is a drug haven and unsafe and everyhthing else we observed. He says ok but he cannot credit me until later.
10) I ask him if this is a welfare hotel and he says " I already told you I will refund you so why do you have to go there". I commented "because it was not advertised as such".
11) I left the place with a note from the clerk saying I would be refunded. Not trusting him I immediately called my bank to cancel the transaction and went to the best safest hotel we could find to calm my daughters nerves.
12) I am from the Bronx, NY and not easily scared off. This place is very disturbing and if you stay there you are taking your life in your hands. IT SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN TO THE PUBLIC.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank William K
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Here's a recent e-mail that I wrote to their customer service. DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL. IT IS ABSOLUTELY 100% DISGUSTING.

I recently had booked a room in the "Americas Best Value Inn Columbus - North" location. When we arrived to the hotel, the outside of the building was in very poor condition and there was a police car stationed outside the building. We proceeded to get our room keys, thinking that the outside of the building may not be the best indication of the quality of the inn.

We went in the main office, to come across a "back in 10 minutes" sign. I've never seen a sign like this in a hotel, and I thought it was very unprofessional.

After several minutes, we were able to talk to a clerk. I told him my name and the type of reservation I had made (king bed/non-smoking). He told me I'd have to take a double bed room instead. He claimed how this was an "upgrade" for me. I inquired about this, since a king bed is clearly bigger than a double bed. He told me that there would be TWO double beds in the room, which has 4 person capacity. I was traveling with one other person, and this was by no means an "upgrade" for us. The clerk was very forceful and rude about this, and I felt his comments were misleading. He also refused to give me a lower rate even though he was not going to provide me with the type of room that I had reserved online.

He kept talking down to me and told me that he wanted me to go see the room before accepting it because he didn't want to "deal with me" if we didn't like the room. Well, it turns out that looking at the room first would've actually been a good idea.

We went to the room and noticed the following (these are just some examples):
1) Cigarette burns through the quilt and sheets on one bed
2) Cigarette ashes on the toilet seat
3) no lampshade on a lamp in the room
4) A strange white substance on the carpeting (I don't even want to know what this was)
5) The smoke detector was barely attached to the ceiling. There was a wire exposed from it, which also seemed to be attaching it to the ceiling

Let me again note that I had reserved a king-size bed and a NON-SMOKING room. Clearly this room was not what I requested, and on top of that, it was in EXTREMELY POOR CONDITION and VERY DIRTY AND UNSANITARY. I wouldn't even expect a prisoner to stay in a room like this. I have some photo documentation if you'd like to see it.

We did end up getting our money refunded in the end, but I really think you should consider further action against this hotel. After this utterly horrible experience, I wouldn't even consider staying in one of your hotels again. By the way, it's also very disheartening that your customer service is not available 24/7. We were in a very hostile situation at that hotel, and it was very uncomfortable to have to go back to that clerk to get our money refunded, since he was very rude and unprofessional to us from the start.

I can only imagine that this location is turning off many others from your company as a whole. While your company may have nicer hotels to offer, I most likely will never take a chance with you again. You may want to contact this hotel so that they do not damage your company's name any further. I plan to share this information with everyone I know, to spare them the same awful experience that I had.

Room Tip: Not possible at this hotel
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank eganita
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Negatives: When we arrived, we immediately found two roaches in the bathroom. There was a hole in the wall over one of the beds, a lamp was missing a lightbulb, the supposedly non-smoking room reeked of stale cigarettes, and the worn-out mattresses swayed in the middle like hammocks. The internet didn't reach our room on the second floor, and there were active train tracks less than fifty yards from the end of our building. Passing trains were thunderously loud. A sign in the lobby announced that--due to technical difficulites--the t.v. would not deliver ABC. The sign had obviously been produced by a computer printer and appeared to have been there for quite some time. The shower in the room delivered only a dribbling stream of water no matter how you adjusted it. Both the exterior and interior of the facility were run-down and shabby. I was part of a family party in five rooms, and everyone had similar complaints. All moved to another hotel as soon as possible.
Positives: Only one of the roaches was alive, and the manager did not charge us for the nights we decided not to stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank TomSimon53
abvinorth, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Columbus / North, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2011

Thanks for taking the time to leave us your comments and we are very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay. There is no excuse for the issues that you encountered and we assure you that we have shared your comments with our staff and they have been corrected.

Reviewed 2 May 2011

We have stayed in America's Best in other locations and were satisfied. But this stay was TERRIBLE. Dark room, cracks in ceiling and sink, TV remote held together with a Band-Aid, No Towels or Rags and when I stopped at front desk they had only towels (no rags). Advertised Satellite TV but it only had a handful of stations (none of which were ABC, CBS or NBC) BIGGEST ISSUE was that during the night the wall shook so hard that the picture on the wall shook like crazy. This happened about 8 times - we woke up to realize that a train track was very nearby that caused it. Also a LOUD conversation outside our door at 5:00 AM. We ended up checking out a day early and still paid just because we were uncomfortable staying there a 2nd night.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MurrysvilleCindy

We are very sorry to hear about your poor experience at our property. Thanks for giving us specifics about the problems, that allow us to make the corrections immediately. We have shared your comments with our staff and have taken corrective action.

Reviewed 15 April 2011

They told me the wireless connection was great. Not if you aren't in the rooms closest to the office. Also had feces streaked on the shower curtains. Tv remote had no back. One outlet in the room.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank justinfein
Reviewed 19 March 2011

The room was filthy. There was trash and a t-shirt left in one of the drawers. The glass table had not been cleaned. The shower curtain had stains on it. The carpet was stained. The TV was unplugged and we had to move the entertainment center to plug it back in. I was afraid to touch anything. The only reason we didn't change hotels was because we were only staying one night and it was late.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple