“Excellent Eclectic Cooking in a Cozy Artsy Atmosphere”
Review of The Explorers Club - CLOSED

The Explorers Club
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Hungarian, South American, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Morrill Avenue
Transit: On Bus Line
Description: Perk up your dining-out routine with an adventure over to the artsy, funky, laid-back lands of the Explorers Club. Nestled in a century-old building, the Club bubbles with a Latin and Cuban-influenced decor; there is a lot of character there. The setting seems to perfectly accent the eclectic menu, helmed by Chef Dan Varga. Vegans and vegetarians will feel as welcome as the carnivores, with many dishes aimed to please every taste and lifestyle. Explore the menu and try items like the "Sweet Plantains with Salsa Yogurt Dressing", the "House Made Hungarian Sausage and Rib Tip Platter", "Roasted Half Chicken", or "Sweet Chile and Soy Tempeh". The Brunch menu is just as delicious, offering everything from traditional breakfast items to "Huevos Rancheros" and "Cuban French Toast". Over at the bar, there are plenty of wonderfully-crafted mixed drinks, beers, and wines to accompany your favorite dishes. NOTEWORTHY: Lots of parking available.
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I’ve enjoyed dining at Explorers Club no less than a half dozen times since they opened. With each experience, I become more hooked on the experience and their outstanding food. They have a beautiful historic building in Merion Village. I love the interior that’s retained original charm, with splashes of bright color, eclectic artwork, and vintage furnishings.

The real star here is the food. The regular menu (which itself evolves quite often) is full of excellent choices like the Mofongo Burger (had, excellent), Half Roasted Jerk Chicken (had, excellent), and a rotating Hungarian plate (had, awesome!). But it’s always hard to resist the monthly “explorer” menu. Just this month was a Hawaiian inspired menu. I had the Loco Moco, which is a dish found all over the Oahu, but is done to the highest foodie degree here. It and the monthly dessert special of Mango Donuts w/ Salted Carmel Sauce and Macadamia White Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream are home runs. You can tell every dish is fresh cooked to order with a lot of passion and rushed to the table, and made with the best ingredients.

I love this place. Everything about it. The staff are all great too. Always super friendly and professional. I can’t recommend this restaurant enough. It’s worth the drive from anywhere in Columbus, and people in the Short North, downtown, or anywhere south of the city (Grove City!) have no excuse not to get themselves in here.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I keep trying to give this place a chance and am disappointed every time. Every time I come here, I decide what to order from their weird menu composed of some super healthy vegan dishes and some ridiculously unhealthy dishes (Mac and cheese on a sandwich with a side of fries, really?). And then every time they tell me they are out of the item I chose or they are no longer serving it. How hard is it for you to update your menu? Food is always underwhelming. Service isn't great either. I'm not coming back.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

My husband and I have eaten here twice. Both times I ordered the grilled macaroni and cheese sandwich. It is great. I will try to get something different the next time. Service is great. Worth driving down S. High for a great dinner

Reviewed 3 January 2014

The title says it all. Great food for vegetarians and vegans. menu well thought out but be prepared to burn your pocket.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

A friend had recently checked in here on Facebook. I had never heard of the restaurant so I thought I had to check it out. I made a reservation through Open Table (which I had never done before). We arrived about 12 minutes early and the seated us anyway at an awesome table. Our friends who were joining us soon arrived.

We had a wonderful waiter who was attentive and very funny. Sadly, I was really craving a Bloody Mary but it was Sunday and they could only serve beer and wine. Wah, wahhhhhhhh. Hubby and I were really excited to try the food because the menu featured a lot of Puerto Rican influence and we have both been there. Hubby ordered the omelet special of the day. I ordered the burrito with chorizo and mac and cheese. I was able to substitute black beans for potatoes. My meal was so delicious and so spicy. Our waiter brought out two different hot sauces that were HOT! I had half a plate of left overs and loved every bite. Hubby was a little underwhelmed but we both want to return to try other things.