“A very classy hotel”

Ranked #3 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Youngstown, OH
“A very classy hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

My wife and I stayed for one night on a package that included valet parking, room and breakfast all for a very reasonable rate. Everything we experienced from check in to check out was first class. It seems all of the people who work at the hotel are OSU students, but what they lack in experience they make up for in enthusiasm and effort. Our king room was large, well appointed and everything was immaculate. We ate at the small lounge following check-in and sandwiches and burgers were excellent. The breakfast buffet included fresh omlettes and waffles. Nothing at the hotel is ostentatious or overdone. It's just a really nice hotel, among the nicest I've ever stayed at.

1 Thank mrhume

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Framingham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

I can’t think of a single negative thing to say about The Blackwell. It is quite simply one of the nicest hotels I’ve ever stayed in, and I’ve been a frequent business traveler for 30 years.

Both of my stays at The Blackwell were covered by others, so I can’t speak to the room rates relative to other hotels in the area, but if you want to be on the Ohio State campus you can’t do much better for location. The hotel is set in the shadow of the massive OSU football stadium and services like restaurants and convenience stores are nearby. There’s a free shuttle from the airport (leather seats, nice touch) and the lobby, hallways and rooms are immaculate. The décor is modern art deco and done with restrained style.

The rooms are perfectly designed for the business traveler. One wall is a full-length desk with pop-out outlets. No crawling under tables to plug in your laptop. Beds are comfortable and well-stocked with pillows. The Blackwell includes some nice amenities like fluffy bathrobes, boutique soaps in the bathroom and a full ice bucket in the room. They even have the little chocolates on the pillow. In-room coffee is Green Mountain and the front desk is happy to dispense as many additional packets as you want.

In both my stays I’ve found the staff to be unceasingly cheerful, friendly and helpful. I suspect many are OSU students, but they’re well trained, regardless. There’s a small store for necessities in the lobby and the hotel is connected to the large Pfahl Conference Center, which has a nice restaurant on the first floor.

The Blackwell will be my hotel of choice each time I visit Columbus.

Pottstown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

My wife and I stayed at The Blackwell while in Colombus on business. The hotel was very nice, the room was well maintained, the bed comfortable, basically everything one would expect or hope for a hotel of this type. I can't speak to cost as it was covered for us but I will speak to the staff. All were top notch, all were young, most seemed to be college students at OSU, so it felt as if it was being run for a school finance project! But I say that only to say don't let the age of the staff fool you. They were extremely professional, helpful, and willing to go the extra mile. When we wanted a nice quiet meal (VERY hard to find in a big college town) the young concierge probably could have laughed in our faces! But he brainstormed with another staff member for quite awhile until they felt they had come up with a good choice, which they did. We headed out to Rigsby's which I will review in a separate review. We had our own car but the concierge decided against giving us only directions and sent us over in a chauffeured hotel car. I had been expecting a taxi at best so was pleasantly surprised by this service. They later returned to pick us up and helped round out a great night with this great service.
Everyone we met was friendly and helpful. The valets were prompt, the concierge more than comptent, even the young bartender who was willing to stay open when we wandered into the hotel bar while he was cleaning up. We opted not to stay but his enthusiastic willingness almost kept us!
The night time 'turn down' service is hand delivered chocolates and fresh ice to your room, again another personal and professional touch. The hotel is in walking distance of many a smaller campus restaurant or bar, but I suggest heading to the Short North area where a host of wonderful shops and eateries abound. All in all, a great place to stay and we will definitely head there again if we pass through Colombus.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Michigan USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

The Blackwell adjoins the OSU Business school and is within sight of the stadium. First-rate rooms & service. I didn't sample any of the nearby restaurants, but can testify that the rooms are huge, everything works, tea & coffee apparatus in each room and a very helpful staff.

Room Tip: Overlooking the business school lets you watch their receptions (and pick the right costume to try t...
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

I was there for a conference and had never been to Colombus before. Shuttle that picks you up from the airport and very nice. Staff and front desk go out of their way to be helpful. Gal looked high and low to find me something for my headache and I'm glad she did because I sorely needed it. Rooms are great: robes, evening maid service, very quiet. The fitness room is nicer than most and the equipment works!

Piracicaba, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

If you are visiting the university is perfect! The hotel is inside the campus. Working people very polite. Also a good place for other atractions. Rooms are hudge....you can play inside... I would be there for sure!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012 via mobile

Love this hotel. The beds are so comfortable, k-cup coffee machine in my room, Lindt chocolates on the table at night. Complimentary breakfast and wifi. I had meetings on campus and they were all within walking distance. Super friendly staff and room service was tasty and really reasonably priced. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2012