“Top Shelf Hotel”
Review of The Blackwell

The Blackwell
Ranked #4 of 145 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed 1 July 2013

From the valet parking to the front desk the student staff was friendly and eager to assist. The room was clean and well laid out. I wish all the hotels I stay at for work were this work travel friendly. Great location, great staff, great room

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
spatsiavos, Director of Sales at The Blackwell, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us. We are happy to hear that our staff and rooms exceeded your expectations. We hope to be your host again soon!

Reviewed 27 June 2013

From start to finish our stay at The Blackwell was wonderful. Great location and we loved the fact that the students are the face of the hotel. Fabulous midwestern hospitality and a must stay in the Columbus area and a great choice for those introducing students to the area with the OSU stadium just across the street!!! Go BUCKS!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your terrific review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed staying so close to the Shoe, as we are the only hotel on OSU campus! Being a part of the university, we are a learning environment, and are proud of our student staff. We are happy to hear they exceeded your expectations and provided ‘4-star’customer service! Thank you again for the feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

From the moment I walked in the door I felt like my stay was priority.All of the staff I interacted with were very professional, friendly and helpful. The rooms were exceptional. I felt very pampered.The location was excellent for my purpose. I will have no problem reccommending this hotel to others.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
spatsiavos, Director of Sales at The Blackwell, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Thank you for your positive feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 13 June 2013

Traveled here for business in May/June 2013. From a business traveler's perspective the hotel was top notch. I ended up getting a discount on the hotel so bear this in mind -> I cannot comment on the value of the hotel as I did not pay full price.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank aaronjmandel

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to the opportunity of hosting you when your travels bring you back to Columbus!

Reviewed 9 June 2013

Very friendly staff. Mostly college students learning the ropes in Hotel Management. Service was great we had a mini reunion and they dropped us off on high street to save us some walking. The location is what makes this place great. You have a view of Ohio Stadium and are within walking distance of pretty much everything. The rooms are spacious and clean. Lobby and Bistro are comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Biztravr

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 4 June 2013

First off, the property is amazing! It's right on campus at OSU and you can walk to just about anywhere you need to go! The hotel also offers complimentary transportation to/from the airport and a complimentary town car that goes within a three mile radius of the hotel, which was great for us. The room was spacious and comfortable, loved how the desk/counter extends the length of the room and we also had a great view of "The Shoe". Everything was simply amazing from the restaurant to the amenities to the room. But the thing that stood out most to me was the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff. From what I gathered, the hotel is staffed mainly by OSU students (with the exception of management, or so I was told) but they were all very hospitable and seemed like they were professionals in their field. The front of house staff (valets, bellmen and front desk personnel) were especially professional. They were all able to give directions and information about the area, different attractions and the facilities. The bellman we interacted with one evening even offered personal dining recommendations and made us a reservation, all of which was unsolicited. Now that's service! We will definitely be coming back to The Blackwell.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience at the Blackwell. We are especially pleased to see your positive feedback regarding our student staff. As we are apart of a learning environment, we strive to follow in the mission of the university. We are proud of our staff and are so glad that they perform '4 star' customer service! Thank you again and we look forward to hosting you soon!

Reviewed 1 June 2013

We wanted a hotel in Columbus, and chose this one based on TA reviews. Although it was nice; I didn't see it as much nicer than a Hampton or even the la Quinta we stayed in the next night. Beds were comfortable, everything was clean, staff was friendly...but that is what I expect at any motel/hotel. We did not have chocolates on our pillow; we did not get a newspaper. I am so used to a breakfast provided in the morning, I was surprised they did not offer this. For the price, it should have been included. There was a single serve coffee maker in the room. Coffee was okay, but not really hot enough.
The internet was particularly troublesome. Some over zealous security minded university computer administrator must be in charge. We were each given a print out with a long sign in name and password (it met all the criteria for the most secure password). I was told that it was good all over campus so connected my iPad. Tried to use it on campus, but needed to re enter name and password (which were back in the room and could not be memorized). I had to re enter the name and password 3 or 4 times in my 20 hour stay. It seemed a bit much for a guest at a motel/hotel. I complained...the staff shrugged it off.

There is nothing wrong with the Blackwell. It is just not "fabulous". I would not stay there again if I had any reason to stay in Columbus, Ohio.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank EthelSue
spatsiavos, Director of Sales at The Blackwell, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Thank you for your TripAdvisor posting. Your comments have been shared with our management team as Lindt truffles during turndown service and USA Today newspapers are standard for every guestroom here at the Blackwell (unless we encounter a privacy sign). Additionally, we do have two options with our wireless internet access, both of which are determined by the University. Your concerns regarding the secure wifi service have been forwarded to our IT representatives. Lastly, we do offer bed and breakfast packages if a guest would like to enjoy our hot and cold breakfast buffet in Bistro 2110. Again, thank you for making the Blackwell an even better place for future guests.