“Too much fluff”

Ranked #3 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Los Angeles
“Too much fluff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2005

I have stayed here a number of times and I really love this hotel. The restaurant is especially good.

My biggest complaint is the pillows. I know this may sound strange, but these monsters are so big and stiff that I still have a pinched nerve from a month ago. This is honestly true, which is what led me to write this review. When I was there I called down to see if there were any smaller sizes and the answer was an incredulous "no".

This also leads me to the reception desk staff. Everywhere in the hotel the staff is super friendly and courteous but the reception staff is fairly dismissive.

But where else are you going to stay in Columbus?

• Stayed October 2005, travelled on business
2 Thank pachin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Chino Hills, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2005

This is probably one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. I booked my one night stay at the Blackwell after reading the glowing reviews on this site and I was still surprised at how nice the hotel was, especially in regards to their nightly rates ($109-$139 range).

Really spacious rooms that had very nice decor and amenities. The in-room coffee tastes better then most coffee shops I've been too. The bathroom was really nice as well - expensive looking soap/shampoo and even a cannister of q-tips. The beds were ultra comfortable and the double workstations, both with their own internet connection, were nice touches.

I'm not sure about the previous post about the poor event service, but I thought the service I received exceeded those of bigger named hotels. (Most of us are going to be there on short term business or leisure, not for an event, I assume). The valet parkers went way out of their way to help me and my overabundance of UPS boxes that were sent to my attention. Front desk was nice and professional as well - quick, but not hurried, check-in/check-out.

I could've stayed closer to where my meeting was held at, but I deliberately chose this hotel and I'm really glad I did. Morning rush hour seemed non-existent compared to that of the NYC metro area, so staying an extra 10 minutes away did me no harm. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2005, travelled on business
11 Thank Henry K
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2005

The facilities at the Blackwell are nice, however the service we received when we held a high end charity event at the place was less than optimal. As a matter of fact it was poor. Poor organization and communication, poor service. We were overcharged for things we did not request and when we questioned them we were argued with and stonewalled.

The staff is not very friendly or cooperative. I would not suggest holding an event here.

Staying one night I think is okay.

• Stayed December 2004, travelled on business
1 Thank Sunnybear
buford,ga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2005

Just returned from a great weekend stay a the Blackwell. The hotel has all the features my wife and i look for when we are staying out of town. Very clean new rooms,Great room service and dinning room food (quality ingredients), And a very helpfull staff. The hotel is on the campus of ohio state, but very close to downtown(10 min drive). We normally stay at westin hotels because of the quality and the comfort of their beds and the blackwell is right up there with them.Loved the free high speed internet service!!!!!

• Stayed July 2005
2 Thank produceboss
Minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2005

Really outstanding hotel. Friendly staff, upscale decor, excellent dining, VERY clean, and amenities you would not even expect...such as turn down service and nice fluffy robes. For the price I booked this hotel at, I would not have expected so much. Really seems more like a five-star hotel and even out shines some of the five-stars I've stayed in. I was in Ohio on business and won't be returning in the near future, but this hotel makes me wish I had another reason to go back! :) Will stay there again if the opportunity ever presents itself...or I just need a weekend off!

• Stayed March 2005, travelled on business
6 Thank elle55407
Columbus, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2005

When the power (and heat) went out in Columbus right before Christmas, my elderly father-in-law and I fled to The Blackwell to stay warm. I had heard from many out-of-town visitors what a great hotel it is, but this time got to enjoy it myself--and at a hard to beat holiday rate of $89.95 to boot. They weren't expecting all the business they got, so they were a little short-staffed in housekeeping, valets, and the restaurant (not their fault!) Despite that, they did a wonderful job of making us feel welcome and comfortable and even were flexible enough to let us check out fairly late on our second day while we waited to say if our power would come back on. I will definitely continue to send out-of-town guests there. Under normal conditions their restaurant is quite good for both lunch and dinner, with eager to please Ohio State U. students as waitstaff.

4 Thank AnnikaColumbus_OH
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2004

I am a way-too-frequent business traveller who never thought she'd find such a gem in Columbus, Ohio. Like most users of this site, I've stayed in accomodations ranging from scary to super-luxurious, and it never ceases to amaze me how some properties can charge so much money yet give their guests little motivation to return.
I paid $139/night (plus tax) in early December 2004. I was there for five nights. The hotel was sold out for some nights during my stay. My double room on the 3rd floor had two stylish wood desks built into the wall opposite the beds, w/ proper desk chairs, drawers and shelves, separated by a TV console. A large armchair, table-height table with fold-down sides, separate bar with coffee and ice bucket, safe (big enough to slide my laptop into easily) and nicely-configured closet made this room VERY comfortable.
Everyone I met during my weeklong stay here seemed genuinely committed to the enjoyment of my stay. How refreshing!
Here is a list of more "little things" that made my stay here special:
1. Arriving at 1AM, yet the valet and front desk staff were perky.
I had self-parked in the wrong lot, and the valet suggested I let him worry about moving my car to the right lot while I headed upstairs to get settled in (and get some sleep before my 6AM wake-up call). The front desk called me to ask if I liked my room. Wake-up calls are human-powered and you can get a follow-up call if you want a few more minutes of blissful sleep in the comfy beds.
2. All areas of the hotel are clean, clean, clean and undamaged.
3. Free, fast, reliable Internet.
4. Ice service nightly, with BIG, delicious chocolates.
5. No stains on carpets, furniture or linens. Nice bathrobe.
6. Good selection of stationery and pens in room.
7. Room service food was OUTSTANDING, excellent presentation.
8. Whenever I called the front desk, the phone was immediately answered.
9. My FedEx package was waiting for me in my room.
10. Multi-function alarm clock was easy to figure out ;o)

All this service and perks for $139/night. Miraculous for this price range.

Wasn't there anything at all wrong with this hotel? Probably the only negative is that the hotel parking is valet-only, but the cost was included in my room rate and I never had to wait if I called 10 minutes before. There is a parking garage 1 block away, but I am not certain that it allows overnight parking.
Nice breakfast buffet included. I think the rate would have been $109 per night if I did not want parking and breakfast.
I wish every business trip could be this pleasant.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member