The Blackwell
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$167
US$187
US$175
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsosu campusohio statebusiness schoolfootball stadiumtown carturn down servicevalet parkingdesk spacegreat hotelvalet serviceschottenstein centerplace to staymile radiusnice amenitieswork spaceroom servicerooms are large
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 April 2006

Who would have guessed a hotel on a state university campus could be so fine? The Blackwell impressed me with the sleek design of the place: all Prairie School style (or inspired by it) woodwork and the like.

My room had a kingsize bed with good pillows (always important!). The hotel also provides free ethernet connections from the rooms and in lobby areas. Apparently wireless access is also available.

Thanks to the campus location, the hotel is quiet, too. It may be away from the attractions of downtown, but anyone here for the conference facilities attached or to see a game at the OSU stadium a stone's throw away will be pleased by the location.

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled on business
6  Thank cpdh
Reviewed 7 January 2006

We had a small-under 100 people--meeting at this hotel and were blown away by the efficiency, friendliness and can-do attitude of the staff. The rooms were well thought out with many small details that made our attendees very happy. The food was even good---conference food is usually pretty ordinary, but we even had bannanas foster for a dessert one night! I would reccomend this hotel to anyone looking for a meeting place and we will be there again!

• Stayed: January 2006, travelled on business
5  Thank Gungadin
Reviewed 4 January 2006

We just returned from a three night stay at the Blackwell. Overall, it was a pretty good experience - especailly when compared to our other expereiences at hotels in the Columbus area.

The rooms are a good size, clean, nicely-appointed. However, it fell short on some details - previous occupants fried chicken bones in the wastebasket, the advertized "high thread count sheets" were of such a low thread count that they appeared to be gauze-like.

The executive suite has a small sitting area, which was a nice size for a room service breakfast for two. (Coffe & totast were pretty good).

Stay away from the Bistro: run, do not walk. Not great service and really bad food. Our pasta was ice cold and we were the only customers in the restaurant. I had to go to the kitchen to tell our server about it. Good bottle of wine, though. Decently priced.

On the whole, a good "deal" at $119 for a king room & $139 for an executive loft. We've only stayed at places like the Hilton Garden Inn & the Wyndham (both in Dublin). Ironically, they were not much less expensive, but a completely lower class of quality.

If you're in Columbus, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2006
6  Thank seejanework
Reviewed 4 November 2005

I have stayed here a number of times and I really love this hotel. The restaurant is especially good.

My biggest complaint is the pillows. I know this may sound strange, but these monsters are so big and stiff that I still have a pinched nerve from a month ago. This is honestly true, which is what led me to write this review. When I was there I called down to see if there were any smaller sizes and the answer was an incredulous "no".

This also leads me to the reception desk staff. Everywhere in the hotel the staff is super friendly and courteous but the reception staff is fairly dismissive.

But where else are you going to stay in Columbus?

• Stayed: October 2005, travelled on business
2  Thank pachin
Reviewed 23 August 2005

This is probably one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. I booked my one night stay at the Blackwell after reading the glowing reviews on this site and I was still surprised at how nice the hotel was, especially in regards to their nightly rates ($109-$139 range).

Really spacious rooms that had very nice decor and amenities. The in-room coffee tastes better then most coffee shops I've been too. The bathroom was really nice as well - expensive looking soap/shampoo and even a cannister of q-tips. The beds were ultra comfortable and the double workstations, both with their own internet connection, were nice touches.

I'm not sure about the previous post about the poor event service, but I thought the service I received exceeded those of bigger named hotels. (Most of us are going to be there on short term business or leisure, not for an event, I assume). The valet parkers went way out of their way to help me and my overabundance of UPS boxes that were sent to my attention. Front desk was nice and professional as well - quick, but not hurried, check-in/check-out.

I could've stayed closer to where my meeting was held at, but I deliberately chose this hotel and I'm really glad I did. Morning rush hour seemed non-existent compared to that of the NYC metro area, so staying an extra 10 minutes away did me no harm. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2005, travelled on business