Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center
Ranked #92 of 145 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We checked in on July 4th around 5 pm. The back door to the parking lot which has a sign that it is "locked 24hr, need room key to enter" was NOT LOCKED. I mentioned it to the lady at the front desk. She indicated it would be fixed. Came back from the Clippers game around 11pm and the door was still NOT LOCKED. To be honest the hotel is fine but it is in a bad area of town. Did not feel safe that anyone could enter the hotel at any time during the night!!! When we checked out the next day around 10-11am, it still wasn't locking. Safety is a big issue for our family and they feel way short.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank PSU-JOHN-S
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Thank you for bringing the issue of the first floor door remaining unlocked during your stay to our attention. I apologize for the inconvenience this caused you during your stay and I am happily able to report that the issue has been resolved.

Prior to your arrival a guest caused out fire panel alert system to activate. For security reasons, when this happens all of the property doors remain unlocked. After the panel has been turned off the Manager of Duty reactivates the lock. When the manager on duty went around to reactivate the south entrance lock we realized that it had short circuited and in order for repair we had to wait for a technician to come and replace the unit. Due to the long holiday weekend the soonest a repairman could arrive was Monday, July 7.

After being notified that the door would not be repaired until Monday the manager called in our security guard to make continuous rounds around the property to ensure our guests safety. We chose to not place a sign on the door as to not attract attention to the normally functioning unit.

Again I truly am sorry for the stress this issue caused you during your stay and we welcome the opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future. Thank you again for bringing this issue to our attention as it has allowed us to better anticipate our guest's needs in the future.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

If you're doing anything near OSU this is a good location. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. I have a couple breakfast places I like in C'Bus so I didn't sample the hotel breakfast. The place is right off I71 which is convenient.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Princerman
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Princerman,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel with us. I am so happy to see that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location, right off the highway and just minutes from the Ohio Sate University! I am also thrilled to see that you found your room to be clean and comfortable which is a testament to our fantastic housekeeping team. Thank you again for your response and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Dispute this being in an area that you shouldn't walk around outside after dark even in a well lite parking lot. The hotel was fairly clean and the staff were excellent and very helpful. Breakfast was ok filled the spot. I was a bit put off when they recharged my credit card the day before my arrival for one night. They also immediately charged my credit card for the remainder of my stay plus an additional charge for advanced incidentals. Which there really is no place to have incidentals since they don't have a restaurant or anything. I felt this was out of line. I've stayed at many hotels and have never had this happen. Apparently this is policy but I've never had that policy with the Hilton or Marriott.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Terrilyn M
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Terrilyn M,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay with us! It is great see that your room was clean and you enjoyed your stay, which is a testament to our outstanding housekeeping and guest service team! I do apologize for the inconvenience our pre-arrival authorizations caused you during your stay, due to our 24 hour cancellation policy we pre-authorize funds in order to guarantee your room for arrival. I would also like to apologize for the authorization of the duration of your stay upon arrival. One of the benefits of staying with the Holiday Inn Express Brand is our Express check-out feature, which allows our guests to check out more efficiently by not having to stop at the desk when departing. Due to this feature we preauthorize the entire stay at the time of check-in so if you choose to leave without stopping at the desk your balance would be taken care of. Finally, I would like to apologize for the $10 incidental authorization placed on your card upon arrival. We, like all hotels in Columbus, preauthorize funds for incidentals. Many hotels fail to communicate this authorization with guests and even more preauthorize much more then $10. I understand that it is inconvenient to have a $10 hold on your credit card during your stay which is why we communicate this hold prior to the authorization. I hope this cleared up a few of your concerns! Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience with us, we hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you to Columbus!

Reviewed 31 May 2014

The hotel is quiet (despite being near a freeway), and has excellent staff services. When was the last time you got a call after you got into your room to check and see if you're satisfied? This place does just that. And, you can see that the people working there want to make you stay great. The room was clean, and the night quiet. The usual breakfast amenities are available as all the other Express places. The place is about 2 miles away from the OSU campus - and the access is super.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Gizbab
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Gizbab,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel with us! Here at the Holiday Inn Express - Ohio State Fairgrounds our guest's satisfaction is our highest priority! I am so happy to see that your room was clean and inviting and our team made you feel welcome! I'm also glad to see that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location, just minutes away from The Ohio State University... Go Buckeyes! We truly appreciate your feedback and we hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you to Columbus!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed for Rock on the Range at Columbus Crew Stadium. The location was great and even though the neighborhood looks a bit... rough... everything was ok. The staff was great (and even put up with my knucklehead roommates cookie shenanigans all weekend). The breakfast was hot and included cooked eggs, breakfast meat, yogurt, fruit, breads/bagels, toppings, pancake machine and more. The double bed room was spacious and every aspect of the hotel was clean. I will try to book a room here anytime I am in the area for a similar event.

Room Tip: One elevator and it is slow
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Greg M,
On behalf of my entire team and I, it was a pleasure to host you and your guests during the very busy Rock on the Range weekend! I am so happy that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location, being just walking distance from the Columbus Crew Stadium definitely has it's advantages especially during Rock on the Range's fantastic 3 day concert series! I am also thrilled to see that you were pleased by recently updated Express Start Breakfast options, we have been getting great feedback and it's guest's feedback like yours that help make these kind of changes happen! Please call us directly when you are ready to book for next years Rock on the Range at 614-263-7725, we can't wait to have you back!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The hotel was really nice. It was perfect for an overnight stay. We were headed to NY and stayed the night. It is right off the interstate. We arrived around midnight. The staff was very friendly. Room was clean and comfortable. Not sure the A/C was working properly. The breakfast was decent. Coffee wasn't that good. They only had powder creamer in packets. Over all it was a good stay! Some of the things I mentioned are observations more than a complaint. I would stay there again on our next trip to NY.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Gwilliams73,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am even more thrilled to see that we will have the privilege of seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to Columbus! I am sorry to hear that you had a few set backs during your stay and I would love the opportunity to further discuss them with you to ensure that they get resolved! Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel or via e-mail at agashi.cmhhs@gmail.com. Thank you again for your response, we can't wait to see you again soon!

Reviewed 23 May 2014

This is a decent hotel for your basic needs. I wouldn't pick this hotel for a vacation, but works for visiting for business or what not. Rooms are spacious and comfortable - great to have a sink, microwave, refrigerator, and free wifi in your room. Beds were very comfortable and I wasn't bothered by the traffic noise. The pool is nothing special. Great to have free cookies at 5pm and the breakfast in the morning was nice. I would suggest that the hotel invest in using real plates and silver ware, instead of foam plates and plastic utensils - this would be easier to cut our food with and more sustainable. I do want to give KUDOS to the staff at this hotel. They made my experience so much better with their willingness to give suggestions on things to do and answer any questions I had. Quick drive to High Street for night life/dinner.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

bikiniblonde2010,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. I am happy to see that our hotel suited your needs for your specific purpose of travel. Being just ten minutes away from many hot spots in Columbus definitely has its perks! I am also thrilled to see that our staff made you feel comfortable and welcome while visiting us! Thank you for your loyalty and we hope to see you again the next time your business travels bring you to Columbus!